|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Mirran (MBM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
: Hellkite Igniter gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of artifacts you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||REV666 , Lindough , johnsongrantr , xXThormentXx , Antiat , Famicomania , Snydog17 , Venser_the_Sojoner , Unlife , ironax , Lucretian , rhinoloupe , TheAlmostHero , Swamy , Candyman949 , miracle , sonnet666 , mziter501 , saj0219 , Dr.Jackel|
Hellkite Igniter Discussion
6 days ago
Pirates looks to have two possible builds: Treasure-Combo or a more aggressive combat-centric deck. I'd be inclined to focus on one over the other. Right now it's a little split between the two which is giving it that "Jack-of-all, Master-of-None" feel.
Focusing on the Revel in Riches win condition, you can utilize the creation and sacrifice of artifacts as the main mechanic of your deck.
- Marionette Master allows you to deal 4 damage to each opponent with the sacrifice of each Treasure.
- Disciple of the Vault, Underhanded Designs, and Reckless Fireweaver or often ignored because of the meager amounts of damage they deal, which adds up over time or when you burst out a handful of treasures a turn.
- Quicksmith Genius is a favorite of mine, allowing you to "rummage" away late-game lands or dig for Revel whenever you create a treasure.
- Cranial Plating can leverage your treasure count to boost your attack power.
- Pirate's Pillage is a good treasure generator.
- Time Sieve let's you buy a whole new turn with 5 treasures.
- Inspiring Statuary let's you effectively tap your treasure for mana without having to sac them.
- Never underestimate people's willingness to cash in on a Curse of Opulence. It may not make treasures, but the Gold will synergize with all the other pieces of this build.
- Confirm Suspicions similarly creates Clues. Not synergistic with Revel, but great with these other mechanics... and well... they draw cards!
- Hellkite Igniter can pump for hilarious amounts of damage depending on your treasure count.
- Herald of Anguish can fling treasure at smaller utility creatures or several treasure to bring down huge creatures. He also has improvise and discard. He's kind of nuts.
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Tezzeret the Seeker , Tezzeret, Master of Metal, Tezzeret the Schemer and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Daretti, Scrap Savant all synergize with expendable and numerous artifacts.
Focusing more on leveraging Admiral Beckett Brass's abilities we could go with more of an aggressive build. Since the pirate tribe is on the weaker side combat-wise, you're going to want combat buffs and lots of evasion.
- Urabrask the Hidden is great at getting in some quick damage and makes it difficult for your opponents to mount a defense. Doesn't synergize perfectly with Raid since they don't like haste, but it's worthwhile to keep everyone's shields down.
- Siren Stormtamer is an evasive early-game creature that allows you to trigger early game raid, counts for Admiral's ability and can save her from removal.
- Taurean Mauler counts as a pirate and can get HUGE.
- Dire Fleet Ravager is good start on reducing life totals. You're going to have more creatures than your opponents, and they're going to need to deal with his menace body, which means you're less at risk from losing life to his ability.
- Dire Fleet Poisoner might as well give one of your guys unblockable, as people will rarely want to trade down with a Pirate.
- Coastal Piracy is on flavor but Bident of Thassa is an upgrade.
- Kari Zev, Skyship Raider has menace and first strike. She may require some equipment to abuse her first-strike ability. But the menace will allow you to get damage through consistently.
- Vanquisher's Banner gives your team a mild boost coupled with some card draw.
- Similarly Herald's Horn can draw you extra pirates and makes them cheaper.
- It works great with Heirloom Blade, a card that gives you a pirate back when your pirate dies! Also +3/+1 for 1 to equip is pretty dang good for an aggro deck.
- Kindred Discovery is an insane draw-engine especially in a deck that likes to attack.
- Archetype of Imagination is a possible candidate for making your team unblockable.
Good In both Builds
- Deadeye Tracker is great at dealing with cards in graveyards, something that every EDH deck should have to combat those powerful reanimator, dredge, and combo decks out there. Additionally, this guy can grow or draw cards doing so... which is all upside.
- Deadeye Navigator can allow you to trigger Raid or create treasures repeatedly for a mere 1U. He scales in effectiveness with however many Raid and ETB effect guys you end up with. Similarly Conjurer's Closet and Panharmonicon can lean you towards a more ETB-centric build using Raid to pad out your other options.
Determining what to cut would involve going "All-in" on one of the mechanics, and effectively removing the other.
3 months ago
I'm actually going to post an answer this time around, I haven't done that in quite some time.
I would try to find a new angle to incorporate Hydras with. They may be able to do something similar to what they did with dragons where there are your vicious monstrous dragons (Hellkite Igniter, Scourge of Valkas, etc.), but there are also intelligent, sentient dragons (Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Dragonlord Ojutai, Dragonlord Silumgar, etc.), and have a single hydra or group of hydras that are intelligent or sentient. This could be harder, as dragons throughout literature have had this sort of rendition for a good long while (see Smaug), but hydras have always been seen as giant unthinking monsters.
Another possibility is to have a group of humanoid or otherwise sentient characters that use hydras to fight their enemies.
Example: A small kingdom of highly intelligent Sphinxes learn to use mind magic to tame and command Hydras and use their unmatched power to conquer a plane.
What do you guys think?
3 months ago
The staff does give card draw, personally I'd cut Hellkite Igniter as he doesn't do anything but get bigger
4 months ago
While you can't use Godsend because of your colors choice ( a nice one btw), Sword of Kaldra has proven to be quite effective in the exiling domain. Also, since you are using Sword of Feast and Famine you might want to give a thought to Aggravated Assault which can turn a succesful attack into a mass massacre in a single turn.
All and all, nice deck mate!
5 months ago
Magewright's Stone, Puppet Strings, and Staff of Domination because you want to be able to use the commander's ability as much as possible. Also, those are going to be huge targets once people realize what is happening. You'll want as much redundancy as possible.
Also, I think you could play some different big red stuff. Avatar of Slaughter could be hugely beneficial for you. Since you have to sacrifice him, you are the only one that gets the double strike benefit. Excruciator just to bypass any Fogs in your meta. Utvara Hellkite seems extremely beneficial because it will give you a dragon just for attacking. Plus, you already play multiple dragons. Spitebellows just seems funny here. It will always deal 6 damage to something! Furyborn Hellkite I feel like you could use if you made the deck a little different. Anything to deal one damage, to get a 12/12 flying for three mana. Hellkite Igniter seems good here, since you play an artifact subtheme. Hellkite Charger for the win. Scourge of the Throne for the same reason as Hellkite Igniter. Ryusei, the Falling Star for board wipes. Thundermaw Hellkite to tap all flying creatures so your attacks can get through. Akroma, Angel of Fury because she can just be a powerhouse. Combustible Gearhulk actually seems like a win-win for your deck. Neheb, the Eternal seems like he could benefit you with extra mana mainphase two. Conquering Manticore and Zealous Conscripts for similar reasons. Dragon Mage if you need a new hand. Combat Celebrant seems good here. Goblin Dark-Dwellers could be a possibility. Heartless Hidetsugu, dude yes!
I mainly searched for power, so I'm sure there are other creatures to look up with good ETB effects. After doing that search for you I realized that I like Feldon as a commander. Hope you don't mind if I make him based on your deck XD.
8 months ago
Pretty much any enchantment EDH deck is going to be voltron just given the nature of what most enchantments (especially in Selesnya colors) accomplish. Of the three I mentioned, Asmira might be the most unique. It would definitely be voltron but we could do a token subtheme with a good amount of boardwipes/sac outlets to pump her up. At least it would be more unusual than just throwing every enchantment you have at your commander for the win. Also, I started making a Breya deck for someone else but realized it was basically going to be the exact same as my deck Super Metroid - Akiri & Silas $40 Budget Voltron. It doesn't have combo as the win con (hard to do with a $40 budget). Instead it concentrates on voltron from Akiri or alt win cons with beaters like Myr Battlesphere or Hellkite Igniter or even the troll win with Hellkite Tyrant.
11 months ago
Not Horde-Smelter Dragon, Hellkite Igniter. My bad.
11 months ago
Hey man! Sure, I'd love to help. Not sure how on budget are you, and since you have some pretty darn expensive cards I'll make sugestions based on that. If it just happens that you had the cards from before and don't have too much to spend, just tell me and I'll give another options.
Well, I'd start by adding more lands. Always play Between 35 and 40 lands in your deck, unless it's an mono G elf deck that can go lower, or a deck that want lots of lands like Tasigur, Gitrog Monster or Omnath RG. Steam Vents, Watery Grave, Blood Crypt, Badlands, Underground Sea, Volcanic Island. Fetchlands would be perfect Polluted Delta, Bloodstained Mire, Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest, Marsh Flats. Check lands, Filter lands and Painlands. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, High Market, Academy Ruins and Tolaria West as utility. Prioritice on lands that come into play untapped.
I usually don't consider cards like Phyrexian Altar or Cathodion as a ramp because it's not going to ramp you over the curve. I consider them as combo piece or sac outlet. That being said, add more ramp like the signets, Mana Vault, Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox for fast mana. Expedition Map would be awesome to grab that beautiful Mishra's Workshop.
As for the combos, the first thing is Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar. Those two can go infinite with TONS of cards, like your Wurmcoil Engine: Sac wurmcoil to add 2 mana, triggers on the mantle and the wurm dying. Put the tokens onto the battlefield, then sac one of them for 2 mana (now you have 4 mana in your mana pool). Use the mana to reanimate Wurmcoil with the mantle. Repeat again for infinite tokens (with deathtouch?), and since you have infinite tokens, you also have infinite colorless mana. This works with any creature that enters or leaves the battlefield with two or more tokens. It also works for infinite mana with your Cathodion. These combos with your Disciple of the Vault win immediately, although I prefer Blood Artist because he helps you to stop other players that wants to go infinite sacrificing creatures. Krark-Clan Ironworks is also a good sac outlet that gives you mana.
Triskelion goes always side by side with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed. Remove one counter to ping for 1 to your opp. Remove the other two to shoot Triskelion itself. It dies with no counters in it so Mikaeus brings it back now with 4 counters. Hit your opponent for 2, then hit Triskellion for 2, repeat for the win.
A combo deck loves to have tutors to win fast. Keep in the Forgemaster and the Transmute, and add Tezzeret the Seeker , Demonic Tutor, Fabricate, Whir of Invention, Arcum Dagsson, and the mages pack Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage and Treasure Mage.
For the controling part, this deck needs more actual control and removal. Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Blasphemous Act, Vandalblast, Counterspell, Counterflux, Force of Will, Pact of Negation, Slaughter Pact.
As for what to take out, there are a lot of cards I see there that don't do much for the strategy but this is up to you. My suggestions on what to take out would be: Golem Artisan, Hellkite Igniter, Hellkite Tyrant, March of the Machines (unless you put the Mycosynth Lattice to land lock your opponents xD), Breaker of Armies, Conqueror's Flail, Silent Arbiter, Library of Leng, Genesis Chamber, Gravepurge, Moltensteel Dragon, Clone Shell, Bearer of the Heavens, Burn from Within.
Man, that was a wall of text xD tell me if you have any questions.