|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Herald of Anguish
Creature — Demon
Improvise (Your artifacts can help cast this spell. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for .)
At the beginning of your end step, each opponent discards a card.
, Sacrifice an artifact: Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (27)||ZombieFood , robbnoble , voidruby , Borg0th , Dr_Jay , bustinchops , jrschnoebelen , DimSpirit , Lucretian , Va1mar , Psycheretic , Xikitten123 , davidmassee , lava_lava , mlouden03 , BillyBalverine , Reliva , AlucardZain , philktoken8998 , VoidCaster113 , , Hakira , firemind12 , MathieuHarvey0555 , jstn.mrrtt , Poptartz95 , The_Dragonmaster|
Herald of Anguish Discussion
5 days ago
I've recently made a change putting Herald of Anguish in for Glorybringer. The reason for that is we can get Herald of Anguish the same turn we would get Glorybringer if not a turn before, he also helps us get our opponents hand size down faster so they can't stop a Torment of Hailfire or a Ribbons. I could be wrong Glorybringer might be the better card but we'll see.
1 week ago
Pirates looks to have two possible builds: Treasure-Combo or a more aggressive combat-centric deck. I'd be inclined to focus on one over the other. Right now it's a little split between the two which is giving it that "Jack-of-all, Master-of-None" feel.
Focusing on the Revel in Riches win condition, you can utilize the creation and sacrifice of artifacts as the main mechanic of your deck.
- Marionette Master allows you to deal 4 damage to each opponent with the sacrifice of each Treasure.
- Disciple of the Vault, Underhanded Designs, and Reckless Fireweaver or often ignored because of the meager amounts of damage they deal, which adds up over time or when you burst out a handful of treasures a turn.
- Quicksmith Genius is a favorite of mine, allowing you to "rummage" away late-game lands or dig for Revel whenever you create a treasure.
- Cranial Plating can leverage your treasure count to boost your attack power.
- Pirate's Pillage is a good treasure generator.
- Time Sieve let's you buy a whole new turn with 5 treasures.
- Inspiring Statuary let's you effectively tap your treasure for mana without having to sac them.
- Never underestimate people's willingness to cash in on a Curse of Opulence. It may not make treasures, but the Gold will synergize with all the other pieces of this build.
- Confirm Suspicions similarly creates Clues. Not synergistic with Revel, but great with these other mechanics... and well... they draw cards!
- Hellkite Igniter can pump for hilarious amounts of damage depending on your treasure count.
- Herald of Anguish can fling treasure at smaller utility creatures or several treasure to bring down huge creatures. He also has improvise and discard. He's kind of nuts.
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Tezzeret the Seeker , Tezzeret, Master of Metal, Tezzeret the Schemer and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Daretti, Scrap Savant all synergize with expendable and numerous artifacts.
Focusing more on leveraging Admiral Beckett Brass's abilities we could go with more of an aggressive build. Since the pirate tribe is on the weaker side combat-wise, you're going to want combat buffs and lots of evasion.
- Urabrask the Hidden is great at getting in some quick damage and makes it difficult for your opponents to mount a defense. Doesn't synergize perfectly with Raid since they don't like haste, but it's worthwhile to keep everyone's shields down.
- Siren Stormtamer is an evasive early-game creature that allows you to trigger early game raid, counts for Admiral's ability and can save her from removal.
- Taurean Mauler counts as a pirate and can get HUGE.
- Dire Fleet Ravager is good start on reducing life totals. You're going to have more creatures than your opponents, and they're going to need to deal with his menace body, which means you're less at risk from losing life to his ability.
- Dire Fleet Poisoner might as well give one of your guys unblockable, as people will rarely want to trade down with a Pirate.
- Coastal Piracy is on flavor but Bident of Thassa is an upgrade.
- Kari Zev, Skyship Raider has menace and first strike. She may require some equipment to abuse her first-strike ability. But the menace will allow you to get damage through consistently.
- Vanquisher's Banner gives your team a mild boost coupled with some card draw.
- Similarly Herald's Horn can draw you extra pirates and makes them cheaper.
- It works great with Heirloom Blade, a card that gives you a pirate back when your pirate dies! Also +3/+1 for 1 to equip is pretty dang good for an aggro deck.
- Kindred Discovery is an insane draw-engine especially in a deck that likes to attack.
- Archetype of Imagination is a possible candidate for making your team unblockable.
Good In both Builds
- Deadeye Tracker is great at dealing with cards in graveyards, something that every EDH deck should have to combat those powerful reanimator, dredge, and combo decks out there. Additionally, this guy can grow or draw cards doing so... which is all upside.
- Deadeye Navigator can allow you to trigger Raid or create treasures repeatedly for a mere 1U. He scales in effectiveness with however many Raid and ETB effect guys you end up with. Similarly Conjurer's Closet and Panharmonicon can lean you towards a more ETB-centric build using Raid to pad out your other options.
Determining what to cut would involve going "All-in" on one of the mechanics, and effectively removing the other.
1 week ago
I don't think deck could function with less than 22 lands.
Snare Thopter is okay, but Maverick Thopterist is where you would rather be (run 4, also cut Inspiring Sanctuary and Orazca Relic).
Finally, I would run 2 to 4 Renegade Map. It doesn't need to sac itself to make use of it.
I would love to see Affinity in Standard, but we don't have great cards for it, haha
1 week ago
ok, so there are a few things that you might want to fix before I recommend any cards. First off I highly recommend going down to 60 cards in the deck. Then lower the lands down to around 24 and dropping bad cards such as Deadlock Trap, Summoning Station, Mishra's Factory and Mishra, Artificer Prodigy all in an effort to make it more consistent and in standard so it is in general a cheaper deck to make good. As for recommendations if you want to keep on the improvise idea you cold try Maverick Thopterist then as a finisher use Herald of Anguish and to further support him use Weaponcraft Enthusiast and Scrapheap Scrounger. As for mana fixing a great cheap artifact to help with improvise is Renegade Map.
3 weeks ago
Legendary_penguin_of_death & FlabbyAbs, I knocked it down to 60 by taking out walk the plank, since theyre not actually in this deck that I have at the moment, and taking out one anointed procession. Do you think Angel of Invention would be better than Herald of Anguish? And what cards do you think I should take out for the Renegade Map?
4 weeks ago
Bring Herald of Anguish in turn 3-4 or cast 3 Pirate Price(Draw six card and have 6 treasures. Good luck Pirates!!
The improvise abiity look boring but is really powerfull with treasures since you dont have to
sacrifice them .
Dont forget you can tap the Inspiring sanctuary himself to add to cast non artifact spell Dont forget to tap it the same turn you cast it. Attack every turns and make Artifact Treasure token with Heartless Pillage
The ability to make a tokens is activate if you attack, Cast it even if your opponent have no card in hands.
1 month ago
This helped me immensely with my own brew, mine differs by splashing white for Ixalan's Binding, Hidden Stockpile and Settle the Wreckage in the side board. With Rivals of Ixalan out I also dedicated 4 slots to Golden Guardian which makes Herald of Anguish look really good, however I do agree that I'd rather have Marionette Master as a finisher instead.