Ajani, Strength of the Pride
Legendary Planeswalker — Ajani
+1: You gain life equal to the number of creatures you control plus the number of planeswalkers you control.
-2: Create a 2/2 white Cat Soldier creature token named Ajani's Pridemate with "Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Ajani's Pridemate."
0: If you have at least 15 life more than your starting lie total, exile Ajani, Strength of the Pride and each artifact and creature your opponents control.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ajani, Strength of the Pride Discussion
1 week ago
Hey GalaxyCat! Thanks so much for taking the time to take a look and comment. Teysa, Envoy of Ghost is an awesome general and I just had to build this deck around her. I know there are other Orzhov options, but she is just so cool. Like you, I tried to synergize my build around life loss and life gain. I really like the push and pull of these two mechanics and try to do that behind the scenes while using Teysa as a deterrent for my opponent's attacks. Thanks for sharing your list, it looks great! One card that I run that sticks out for me is Ajani, Strength of the Pride. Four mana to exile all of my opponent's artifacts and creatures is just so good. Also, if we are talking removal, Fumigate does some work and Profane Command is really flexible. Thanks again, let me know if you have any cards that you really like running in yours that I might not have in mine.
1 month ago
Hey, nice start, mono white can be tricky to build and play in Commander. You have Avacyn, Angel of Hope, make her the Commander? This is Angel tribal, but using Elesh Norn as Commander is strange...
No matter the Commander with Angel tribal Angels take up most, if not all, the high CMC spots in the deck because the best Angels have high CMCs. My advice is cut the majority of the other nonAngel high CMC (5 CMC or higher) cards. Ramp and Angels should be priority.
Cards to consider cutting right away because they're not as good as other cards or are redundancy you don't need:
- Beacon of Immortality
- Parhelion II
- Akroma, Angel of Wrath
- Bruna, the Fading Light
- Mass Calcify
- Serra's Guardian
- Seraph of the Sword
- Segovian Angel
- Curse of Exhaustion
- Moonsilver Spear
- Answered Prayers
- Serra Avenger
- Angelic Chorus
- Ajani, Wise Counselor
- Guardian of the Gateless
- Angelic Skirmisher
- Rhox Faithmender
- Vanquisher's Banner
This is 20 cards that doing a quick look over are subpar compared to the rest. The next 10 cards are cut to streamline by choosing the most important cards at different CMCs and cutting the others. Cards to consider cutting:
- Resolute Archangel
- Angel of Vitality
- Gisela, the Broken Blade
- Blinding Angel
- Linvala, the Preserver
- Platinum Angel
- Serra the Benevolent
- Cleansing Nova
- Angelic Accord
- Treasure Map Flip
The last four cards is where it gets difficult to make cuts, but continue to streamline:
Hopefully this info helps and I offer more advice especially if you change to Avacyn, Angel of Hope as Commander since there's several good interactions to take advantage of.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
It's true that Spark Double would give you another use of a planeswalker's ability but if your goal is to make tokens of it, it still runs into the same problem. Turning all your tokens into a copy of Spark Double means that all of the tokens are 0/0 illusions that die as state based actions. But a wincon consisting of a huge planeswalker army is still well within reach!
We probably all know about Jace, Cunning Castaway's interaction with Doubling Season. If he ults with Doubling Season on the board, he makes two copies of himself each of who can do it again. You end up with infinite Jaces. If you have Oath of Gideon or Oath of Teferi/The Chain Veil on the field, they will either have enough loyalty to create 2/2 creatures (in the case of the former) or will be ready to create 2/2 creatures next turn (in the case of the latter.) Infinite tokens are pretty decent for our pal, Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer dontcha think? But who wants to win with creatures attacking anyways? If we wanted that we just play Selesnya or something. Why not throw in another card to win in a truly glorious fashion? A card that you already run in your deck! Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God on the field with the two aforementioned cards (Jace and Doubling Season) allows you to make infinite Nicol Bolas! If you have Oath of Teferi out, you can +1 them all at once, exiling everything on the opponent's battlefields and from in the opponent's hands. Come to think of it, that dragon dunce should've just done this during War of the Spark... but I digress. I think that those might be some fun combos for you to look into! Also it's important to remember that Bolas doesn't just have to use his own +1. That wins the game, sure, but if you wanna be flashy, he can use the loyalty abilities of any other walker you have out! Draw your library and drain everyone with Sorin, Grim Nemesis, dragonbomb the shit out of everyone with Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, gain infinite life with Ajani, Strength of the Pride, same turn token storm with Chandras One and Two, empty hands with Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage or Karn Liberated, gain infinite mana with Teferi, Temporal Archmage or Domri, Anarch of Bolas and if you really want to stick to the big, bad dragon then literally every single Bolas walker wins the game on the spot. Now that's a flashy superfriends pop off!
I hope you dig this path, I know the point was to do some Brudiclad shenanigans to go infinite but I'll be damned if this isn't a close second on the coolness scale!
2 months ago
If you'd like some inspiration for your list, I have 2 Orzhov lists you can look at that I like. This one is more in tune with what you're looking to do, this other one is more based discouraging the opponent from doing anything by playing cards that make them lose life for interactions. Might be worth checking out!
- Baneslayer Angel (Good in a vacuum, not great for what this list wants to do. A touch too slow.)
- Tymaret, Chosen from Death (Too cute. Functionally he doesn't bring you closer to your Vito win-con, and his ability isn't really what you'd want to be spending mana on to do so.)
- Ill-Gotten Inheritance (I see what you're going for here, but it also feels too cute. It's not bad, just not fantastic either.
- Basri Ket (He's just making bad cards better. He's unnecessary for your Vito win-con.)
- Evolving Wilds (This can easily be swapped for Fabled Passage, does the same thing but can have lands enter untapped.)
- Radiant Fountain (You're not going to be finding this on the draw, and doesn't really help you otherwise. Might as well swap that for another Swamp)
- Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence (All for these, but for the amount of 1-3 drop creatures you're looking to play, it would seem like you're going to be running into some mana issues. Would absolutely put in some Godless Shrine for this list since you can just heal back the damage it deals anyhow)
- Griffin Aerie (Another cute card. I get what you're going for with it, but I don't know how well it helps you get into your Vito win-con.)
- Light of Hope (Feels a bit niche. Not quite cute, just niche. There's likely better cards than this.)
As a general note, decent cards that make bad cards better aren't the answer. Look at how your win condition is typically met, and find more direct and impactful ways to influence it.
Cards You Got Right
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (Duh)
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned (Definitely works in your favor, just gotta watch out for your devotion.)
- Mangara, the Diplomat (Interesting card, definitely can serve as a nice draw engine against aggro decks)
- Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (He's great utility, and 100% sets you up to get a bunch of Vito triggers)
- Healer's Hawk (Staple lifegain creature, is super easy to get down and make use out of)
- Heartless Act or Eliminate (Could be a replacement for Mortify, as both are cheaper and have a little more use)
- Fabled Passage (See above for Evolving Wilds)
- Godless Shrine (See above for Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence)
- Rhox Faithmender (A nice addition to the list, makes the Vito triggers hit even harder)
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride (Nice way to gain life, and he can easily sweep the board if he needs to)
- Ajani's Pridemate and/or Bloodthirsty Aerialist (Plays into that 'Whenever you gain life, put a 1/1 on a creature' thing you seem to like)
2 months ago
Ajani's Welcome to gain life at your creatures entering and a 1 mana drop. Ajani, Strength of the Pride since you have a lot of low mana creatures. The plus one will give you hella health, and his -2 gives you more Pridemates. His 0 is a boardwipe when you have 15 more life than your starting, which is pretty damn good for your deck. Twinblade Paladin is similar to pridemate but costs more, but in return is able to get Doublestrike too. If you find that you end up top decking a lot, Dawn of Hope would allow you to consistently draw. If you are against a creature heavy or Haste deck, Authority of the Consuls is pretty good.
2 months ago
Omg that article XD!!!
Ajani would definitely be a flavor win, but I feel Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants would be a better fit than Ajani, Strength of the Pride. I don't see myself being able to abuse his ultimate since I don't have a lot of lifelink, even with his +1. He's definitely better suited for a dedicated life gain deck.
2 months ago
Oh, and have some Ajanis and definitely run Ajani, Strength of the Pride. It'll help a lot.
2 months ago
Nice deck. It might be an idea to introduce some more one drops here, preferably with lifelink so you can get the lifegain going early. Healer's Hawk, Vampire of the Dire Moon and Banehound each fit this nicely, and each bring something a little different. Hawk might be useful since you don’t really have many ways of dealing with fliers, the Vampire having deathtouch can scare off a lot of aggression (although might not be necessary, depends how much life you’re gaining), and Banehound offers very strong aggression.
If you’re going for a token deck, Anointed Procession feels like it should be worth considering. However, I feel that at the moment the token elements of this deck are quite slow and expensive. Something like a Leonin Warleader might be a better option, since it makes the tokens without requiring more mana to be put in, plus the tokens have lifelink. Cubwarden does a similar job, with more immediate effect, but you might need to run more non-humans to make it work. Ajani, Strength of the Pride also seems pretty good, since it has a direct lifegain ability that will scale with the size of your board, the ability to make tokens of possibly the best card in a lifegain deck, and an emergency reset button should you ever need it. As a final token card, Crested Sunmare can be great for closing out a game with big, indestructible beaters. Plus, it can make extra tokens if you gain life on your opponents turn as well.
Hope this is helpful to you, and good luck with the deck.