|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Common|
|Commander Anthology Vol. II (CM2)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
Combos Browse all
: Gain .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||xXThormentXx , Lucretian , JAT0 , bakunet , Supremespeed , Joblaska , nakni , buildingadeck , richardmv , Mousemke , LTmiller , The_Dragonmaster , fireborne1986 , Talistan , Metaphisyk , mziter501 , hippienproud , bpiser95 , BOFH , itheoryz , ShishkyBob , Fwaffle , sonnet666 , Swamy , goodair|
|Want (44)||jpc852 , raespadas , Skydra2 , insanious , zbotman , Dr.Jackel , Lukeorisit , Pylioz , Ariumlegion , foxboy93 , atomic_ronin , Funi1234 , N3M0 , Georgez96 , Brimstone , Schwiggity , Liquicitizen , marsp44 , Xue-Kaihua , flipdipple , xXThormentXx , stupidguy , Daeyel , Drizztleo , uhore , mk102 , mini_tb , PhyrexianScience , DeifiedExile , Suns_Champion , Commonomicon , TAMA , zephyrmoth , deees , Thotny , impropriety , _raeofsunlight , Commander_Archer , lucky72 , dauid , Jspeed , thestinkyone , oswrick , Legendary_Shadow|
Great Furnace Discussion
1 week ago
1) I don't see the value in running Vault of Whispers and Great Furnace. They are vulnerable to Wasteland/artifact destruction and aren't fetchable. If you were running Tainted Pact as an extra dig spell they would make sense (so you have a lower chance of hitting a card with the same name; e.g., Swamp). However, with only 7 basic Swamps your Lake of the Dead is going to often whiff.
2) Unmask is loss of card advantage. If it acted as a discard outlet instead of exile it could be useful for pitching a combo piece out of your hand before casting Doomsday but, exiling a card as the cost just feels bad.
3) Cutting down the already limited pool of creatures from 12 to 10 makes using Diabolic Intent that much more difficult.
4) Are you using Ricochet Trap to target itself with a counter or using it to save an artifact/creature from destruction? Casting for 3 CMC seems heavy for this deck for a spell that isn't a board wipe. Using it as a counter spell target seems okay since it's just R to cast but, I would run Defense Grid over Ricochet Trap all day long. Defense Grid also has the added bonus of adding to Metalcraft for Mox Opal.
4 weeks ago
Good suggestion with Whir of Invention, I think I went with Reshape because I found that the additional cost was a significant draw back (although I do like the fact that whir is instant speed). I only run 12 artifacts, mostly just for ramp; I find by the point I am casting reshape I have enough experience counters that I don't really need that Sol Ring or Great Furnace anymore and would much rather have my Alhammarret's Archive or Sphinx-Bone Wand. As for the delve cards, you do make a good point about the flashback. My deck has more of an costed theme and wants to get high value of experience counters so the value of casting them once is often worth it, but I can see how it may not work the same in your build. Might I ask what your experience with Epic Experiment is like? I personally have found it underwhelming, but again maybe it is because my deck is more [x] costed themed. It just always looks sort of sad next to the green equivalent of Genesis Wave. I feel like the last time I cast it for x = 10 and I only hit like 3 relevant spells.
1 month ago
I played the deck a bit more and made the following changes for more consistency: Ancient Den & Great Furnace (to enable Puresteel Paladin, artefact lands from the original list), Command Beacon & Strip Mine. After lowering the basic land count I will take out either Blood Moon or Ruination and put back Temur Battle Rage. It is an extra target for Sunforger, and I found as you mentioned that reach is often needed to close the games. I replaced Buried Ruin by Mistveil Plains to combo with Sunforger. Finally I came across the card Comeuppance which looks quite fun, so I will try it.
2 months ago
2 months ago
I'd suggest adding ASAP these cards (or at least to consider them):
- Blinkmoth Urn for huge mana ramp (who cares if your opponents will get 2 mana, you'll get ∞ mana).
- Cranial Plating is too good not to have in a 41 artifact deck.
- Argentum Armor is really good for removal, but I understand that you don't need to care about protection.
- Bloodforged Battle-Axe for super easy snowball. - Trailblazer's Boots because everyone runs at least 1 nonbasic, and this means unblockable. - Great Furnace for artifact count interactions. - Inventors' Fair and Buried Ruin feel like they can be useful here. - Brass Squire could come in handy. - Godo, Bandit Warlord because tutoring is never enough. - Etched Champion, Hellkite Igniter and Armory Automaton could feel useless, since you don't need protection, nor alternative win con creatures, but I like them, so there we go.
I hope you'll find this useful. If you are interested in EDH, consider looking at my decks ;)
3 months ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
3 months ago
Sculpting Steel, Karn, Silver Golem, Darksteel Forge, Steel Hellkite, Mycosynth Lattice, Hellkite Igniter (or as my friend and I call him "Rocket-powered turbo dragon), and Hellkite Tyrant might help too, I just realized, and Great Furnace as well.
You're not running enough Planeswalkers either. Try Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Saheeli Rai, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor (he's gone down in price tremendously since he was reprinted and allowed back in modern). They're all really great.
4 months ago
Here are some suggestions from my experience with getting beat in the face with this style of deck in my play group. Hopefully something here will help:
- Karn Liberated - Because Karn.
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon - Easy wipe for multi colors.
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Super Utility.
- Hellkite Tyrant - Goes well with Mycosynth Lattice.
- Unwinding Clock + Mana Rocks = lots of mana all the time.
- Caged Sun - Always a nice addition to mono colored decks.
- Blinkmoth Nexus - Mana for days. Though this can help others as well.
- Darksteel Citadel and Great Furnace for some artifact lands.
- Platinum Emperion + Darksteel Forge + a spell like Earthquake, Rolling Earthquake, or Fault Line, everything dies except you.