|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Scuttling Doom Engine
Artifact Creature — Construct
Scuttling Doom Engine can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
When Scuttling Doom Engine dies, it deals 6 damage to target opponent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||ironax , Halphinian , Va1mar , LegendDeer , saj0219 , pskinn01 , jstn.mrrtt , Dr_Jay , duff87 , philktoken8998 , PTsmitty , Riku580 , mziter501 , Nightdragon779 , ChrisH , Ellyreia , Nemesis , Regulus1010 , Famicomania , joshw335 , VampireArm , JAT0|
|Want (2)||shinobigarth , bradyofportdetroit|
Scuttling Doom Engine Discussion
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
2 months ago
So I'm a believer that the best way to build this deck is through playing big dudes with no butt for dirt cheap! So cards like Ball Lightning, Cosmic Larva, Blistering Firecat, Phyrexian Dreadnought, and Nova Chaser (fyi you can respond to Nova Chaser and Dreadnought's ability on the stack and sack them into Brion). Malignus is also great and I think a STAPLE in this deck. Other than that...
- Scuttling Doom Engine: All value, all day
- Soul's Fire: You basically get an extra fling
- Sneak Attack: Great way to cheat big stuff out and fling it.
- Flameshadow Conjuring: Get an extra creature to fling/attack with everytime you cast a creature
- Bearer of the Heavens + Faith's Reward : Your friend's won't like you for this combo, because no lands or anything and you are the only one with creatures but... it's effective.
- Thornbite Staff: This I believe is a must.
- Lifeline: I didn't even know this card existed until helping my friend build his deck, it's literally one of the most broken cards I've ever read.
- Gisela, Blade of Goldnight: Duh.
Oh and this may be obvious, but in this deck always swing your creatures before you sac them into Brion! You never know what your opponent will do but at least you will force them to react, and then be able to react accordingly.
3 months ago
The only issue I have with Night's Whisper is the budget aspect of it... Being that the cheapest version of it is 69 cents makes it a little expensive for how close I am to the budget already.
I actually thought Credit Voucher was really cool that was the card that I saw as a budget version of Scroll Rack. I was thinking that it is a cool way of getting rid of cards I do not want at the time and exchanging them for a card that can possibly serve better at the time.
Yeah finishing a game is difficult... I mean I do real cool stuff all the time however I don't really end it... Hence why I have really considered Scuttling Doom Engine and the more I think about it... Sly Requisitioner could assist as well with finishing games.
Cogwork Assembler I don't really see any cool combos in there due to the fact you have to pay mana just to copy something else.. If I ran Myr Battlesphere yeah I think I could get some sweet combos with that XD
3 months ago
5 months ago
5 months ago
Idk about Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast it seems kinda situational Thought about trying out Mirari, Mirrorpool, Primal Amulet Flip, or Isochron Scepter? You have enough cheap spells to speed up the process. Scuttling Doom Engine seems like a good failsafe of a Comet Storm
6 months ago
Thanks for the comment. It just so happens I have Dark Depths. I'm still cycling out some of the cards that were in the original build, and I can't think of a better cut that Scuttling Doom Engine thanks again.I run Hex parasite but I guess I should add in Vampire Hexmage as well for the combo.