|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs Cursed||Uncommon|
|Premium Deck Series: Graveborn||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Flashback—Sacrifice three creatures. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (6)||raymaverick97 , ZombieFood , maR2307 , Sparky41 , MoJoMiXuP , TheAnnihilator|
|Want (3)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , LTmiller , TheRealPeaches|
Dread Return Discussion
1 day ago
Straying away from energy a bit.
4 days ago
what do you do if your Dread Return gets countered after your whole library is in your graveyard?
6 days ago
Cards I was thinking about adding in
Kaervek the Merciless
Cavern of Souls
Temple of the False God
Rise of the Dark Realms
Torrent of Souls
Crucible of Fire
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Haven of the Spirit Dragon
Chancellor of the Forge
2 weeks ago
I find Haunted Dead to be better than Fatestitcher for the Dread Return combo, or maybe run both. I think Glen Elendra Archmage should go in so you can counter everything once Nooze is out. Infinite copies, infinite counterspells.
2 weeks ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
2 weeks ago
Welcome to EDH, my personal favourite format, and my personal favourite commander, Ghoulcaller Gisa!
I absolutely love this general because you can make whatever you want from her, I see all kinds of different takes on the deck.
Kokusho, the Evening Star is great to sacrifice, just go ahead and heal yourself based on other's life totals
to buff your zombies, I see you have added Coat of Arms, don't ever remove this, its probably your strongest synergy.Zombie Master, Corpse Harvester, Unbreathing Horde are all good to continue this growth effect.
Demonic Tutor, Diabolic Intent, Increasing Ambition, Beseech the Queen, Demonic Collusion are all good options for tutors, I think you ought to include atleast 2 more, maybe 3 depending on how combo-y/ synergistic you want to make this deck.
Rise of the Dark Realms is sometimes a win con, other reanimation effects include Sheoldred, Whispering One, Dutiful Return, Dread Return, Death Denied and ESPECIALLY Hell's Caretaker, love this guy...
I could go all day with suggestions, shes really a canvas in terms of generals, you can do just about anything you want to do that is under the spectrum of black, by all means, completely ignore every suggestion I have made, this is a good deck as it stands for multiplayer already.
I hope this helps as a resource though in case you want to take it one direction or the other.
remember that Ghoulcaller Gisa's ability doesn't have to be used on your turn, so its important to only use it when you absolutely have to, unless your zombies have haste, that is... but remember that the zombies usually don't have haste and they need to wait a turn to be used, so you can wait until the end of an opponents turn, or the beginning of another's or even respond to effects on the stack with her ability.
I hope this helps! Cheers!
3 weeks ago
This is a super cool deck. Lot of fun. One thing that im not sure how you feel about, but Phenax, God of Deception is very fitting along with cards like Nighthowler, Mortivore, Sewer Nemesis, etc. I've had great luck with it (especially if i have a token or two from Sidisi, Brood Tyrant. Phenax makes it way easier and more consistent to trigger Sidisi).
What's interesting is with this layout you have here, Sidisi doesn't make or break the deck. A lot of options here for win conditions. Great stuff.
My favorite so far is to Traumatize myself, sack two lands for Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Flashback Dread Return for Mortivore or Nighthowler (sometimes both or Body Double) and mill them with Phenax, God of Deception tap trigger or kill them with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord mana ability.
3 weeks ago
You're well on your way here. Nice list. You're definitely missing some key pieces if you're aiming for as strong as possible.
You have Saffi Eriksdotter and Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat, and yet you're not playing Loyal Retainers. Saffi + retainers goes infinite for infinite deaths. Not playing Elesh Norn? Use Survival of the Fittest to pitch for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, then pitch elesh norn for Loyal Retainers. Play retainers to reanimate the elesh norn in the yard.
When you add all those cards, I suggest the following cuts: Grisly Salvage, Satyr Wayfinder, Evolutionary Leap, Ashnod's Altar, Burnished Hart, Merciless Executioner, Unburial Rites and Dread Return. Generally speaking, by aiming to fill up your graveyard with cards, and then subsequently reanimating them, you're playing an inconsistent tutor engine. You also don't need to play big reanimate spells. Your commander reanimates plenty enough. The Necromancy could honestly just be Animate Dead to save a mana. The Ashnod's Altar gives you mana that isn't very useful unfortunately. Perhaps Phyrexian Altar instead, or maybe another creature sac outlet like Carrion Feeder. If you improve your deck by relying less on reanimation and more on tutoring straight for your combo pieces, then cards like the Ashen Rider, Acidic Slime, Archon of Justice, Magister of Worth etc start making less and less sense, and they could instead be contributing to a hatebear shell that allows your primary combo win-conditions to emerge through this removal heavy format. Cards like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Gaddock Teeg, Aven Mindcensor, Hushwing Gryff, Peacekeeper, Sylvan Safekeeper etc will help you keep your boardstate investments safe, lower your curve, and allow you to play a somewhat staxy shell, with a delicious combo inside.
Imagine this. You use a sac outlet sac your Protean Hulk. Your opponent is ready to try and interact with you with their Swords to Plowshares. But you get Karmic Guide and Sylvan Safekeeper. Suddenly, it doesn't look too good to try and target your stuff. Your Karmic Guide gets back Protean Hulk, and you sac it immediately. You're still protecting your Karmic Guide with the Sylvan Safekeeper. All of sudden, you have Saffi Eriksdotter and Dosan the Falling Leaf in play and your opponent's window to interact with you no longer exists, making your combo that much more competitive.
Best of luck with your build.