Staff of Domination
: Untap Staff of Domination.
, : You gain 1 life.
, : Untap target creature.
, : Tap target creature.
, : Draw a card.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
|Want (7)||lucasvdberg , Freaky55 , mingua03 , Nukesforbreakfast , KingKruph , HoosCrazy , Eldrazi123|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Grand Architect + Staff of Domination + Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
- Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix + Staff of Domination
- Grand Architect + Pili-Pala + Staff of Domination
- Overgrown Battlement + Staff of Domination
- Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary + Staff of Domination
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Staff of Domination occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Staff of Domination Discussion
6 days ago
I can tell this is your first deck, its not bad, Kalamax is a harder commander to build around. What I would suggest is more mana rocks, and more cards that can tap and untap Kalamax. Staff of Domination and Thousand-Year Elixir are great and anything that allows Kalamax to be tapped for mana also works such as Cryptolith Rite Maybe some more card draw too.
1 week ago
Wow, great work MagicalHacker. Reformatted with card links and averages (rounded up) of the range of decks the combos are in. I figure a single number for each 2 card combo makes it easker to tally up and figure percentages later. So 120,411 two-card combos total.
6255 Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond
3 weeks ago
I've been playing a variation of your list for about a year now and fell in love ever since. At first I was not convinced about snoop until realizing the combo!
Play the Goblin Recruiter, getting Dark-Dweller Oracle, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Skirk Prospector, Torch Courier or Goblin Chieftan, and Conspicuous Snoop. Put them on the top of your library, first card on the bottom of the pile and going up
Some cards we can cut to fit in the Fanatic Snoop Combo and Kiki Snoop combo are:
Cards to add for the combos:
- Dark-Dweller Oracle
- Insolent Neonate
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Torch Courier
- Merchant of the Vale
Time to playtest! :)
Let me know what you think.
3 weeks ago
I like what you're going for with the Bitter Ordeal, but perhaps try switching it out for Saheeli's Directive. I have directived for exactly X=42 and completely blew out my game, but you could can realistically do that for X=20 or 25, depending on how many artifact cards are huddled about the top of the deck.
Also, Dagsson is way too slow. By the time you can cast him, removal is already too heavy to be able to get him to stick. I would take a more sneaky value-train approach with Sai, Master Thopterist, but that's just me.
Also there's these really great lands from the Battlebond set that enter tapped unless you have two or more opponents. I think you might be able to adjust your mana base even more with those. Sea of Clouds, Morphic Pool, and Luxury Suite are the ones you want to look at.
1 month ago
@onerazorsharp: Your suggestions and tips are greatly welcome!
I think that Prismite / Gemstone Array are just bad cards on their own and won't do anything without infinite mana. Otherwise I think your recommendation of Staff of Domination could be slot into the deck easily but it's just an infinite mana outlet that we don't really need. We already have some outlets like Walking Ballista or Finale of Devastation. These are sufficient.
I decided against Vigean Graftmage + Incubation Druid. Mainly i think that you have to tutor for both combo pieces whereas the other combos most times only need one tutor spell. Also you have to consider that Vigean Graftmage is a dead card outside that specific combo setup and playing mostly dead cards is what has to be minimized.
In my current testing list I added Prophet of Distortion and I think it could be a great addition to the list.
1 month ago
2) With Basalt Monolith - what are your outlets for infinite colorless? I noticed right off the bat that you aren't running Staff of Domination or something like Prismite / Gemstone Array- might be worth considering. Walking Ballista & Thrasios, Triton Hero are in my setup as well, but as soon as Basalt Monolith hits the table with Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy you're going to need to make use of the colorless. I suppose it would depend on your Meta and how much interaction takes place, but in my playgroup it's a very short lived combo without an outlet immediately available.
1 month ago
The deck is lacking good combos. I don't play any tutor (due to the theme's limitations) so it's hard to fetch the missing pieces:
- Vorel + Magistrate's Scepter with 3+ counters: infinite turns.
- Vorel + Darksteel Reactor: faster win.
- Vorel + Triskelion/Walking Ballista: with enough +1/+1 counters, doubling them can be player headshooting.
- Doubling Season + Kiora, Master of the Depths: immediate emblem.
Other nice card interactions:
- Cauldron of Souls + creatures that ETB with +1/+1 counters: easy recycle.
- Pir + any spike: pay to add a +1/+1 counter on the spike.
- Pir + any PW: free extra loyalty at each activation.
The following cards will be added to the deck:
1 month ago
Your way of thinking is pretty cool, and you're right, these are all good cards.
However, these cards aren't "good enough" in modern selvala lists because of the way we win. All selvala lists win by storming off, drawing your entire deck, and killing your opponents by presenting a insurmountable boardstate/infinite damage.
Yes, Helix Pinnacle and Aetherflux Reservoir can win the game on the spot when you're storming off. But so can Beast Within Eternal Witness Kogla, the Titan Ape loop. But so can Finale of Devastation. And all these cards actually do something when you're not trying to win.
Your entire matrix of what constitutes a "good wincon" changes when your win-condition is drawing your deck + infinite mana.
As for Sword of the Paruns, I find that Umbral Mantle is good because its a 1 card infinite mana combo with selvala, and they aren't really comparable. I dont think mantle isn't even as good as Cloudstone Curio or Staff of Domination. It is a good budget option though!