Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Creature — Zombie
When Gray Merchant of Asphodel enters the battlefield, each opponent loses X life, where X is your devotion to black. You gain life equal to the life lost this way. (Each in the mana costs of permanents you control counts towards your devotion to black.)
|Have (2)||, GeminiSpartanX|
|Want (4)||rudymental , covandy24 , Wieran98 , Easymode|
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
|Theros Beyond Death (THB)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Gray Merchant of Asphodel occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
Gray Merchant of Asphodel Discussion
23 hours ago
Hey, Obosh, the Preypiercer can really increase the damage output of your entire deck because Greven is odd 5 CMC. Don't use the companion ability if you're just playing it as a card in the 99. However, my suggestion is to use Obosh as companion because of Greven as well as many cards that are good with Greven are odd CMC.
Odd CMC creature base example:
- Blood Celebrant
- Hex Parasite
- Wall of Blood
- Lightning Skelemental
- Ball Lightning
- Rotting Regisaur
- Archetype of Aggression
- Combat Celebrant
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Zealous Conscripts
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Heartless Hidetsugu
- Chainer, Dementia Master
- K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Kiki can repeatably make a token copy of a nonlegandary creature to sac to Greven. Kiki is also an infinite combo with Conscripts for infinite Conscripts to attack or Celebrant for infinite attack steps.
Other Odd CMC cards:
- Sol Ring
- Dark Ritual
- Phyrexian Arena
- Scheming Symmetry
- Beseech the Queen
- Basilisk Collar
- Mass Hysteria
- Hammer of Purphoros
- Chromatic Lantern
- Coalition Relic
- Toxic Deluge
- Tragic Slip
If you like the idea of using Obosh as companion then if you would like I can further help you with adds/cuts.
Good luck with your deck.
4 days ago
5 days ago
I just wish my nickname for Blightbutt was a thing like (Gary) Gray Merchant of Asphodel. He's definitely one of my favorite cards - but there doesn't seem to be anything conveniently short for him, like (Skittles) Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon.
5 days ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
Here's a list of non-american spellings I have in: Show
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
1 week ago
This deck is seriously well built and amazing, while it doesn't really fit the theme of the deck have you ever thought of adding in Gray Merchant of Asphodel into the deck it could just hit rather hard and gain you a lot of life at once. Have you also considered adding in Crypt Ghast for a little bit of ramp since all of your lands are swamps from Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 weeks ago
Hey, I don't want you to feel like you're being ganged up in the comments of your deck. I am and Arcaia also are simply trying to get you to better understand card quality. When you have such a high budget then card quality becomes an excellent way to improve your deck because you don't have to worry as much about the cost of a deck which lets you play the best cards and cut the subpar ones.
First let me start by saying I've been wrong saying to cut Havengul Lich. Not for reasons you're describing, but because it's a combo piece. Overall for five mana Havengul is not a good card, but with Zombies it's a combo with Rooftop Storm + Phyrexian Altar/Ashnod's Altar to cast all the Zombies on your turn from all graveyards. Add any other card that cares about casting spells, creatures dying or creatures ETB for lots of value. Use Sidisi, Undead Vizier with this combo to tutor for Gravecrawler and then Diregraf Captain as the win condition. Or simply loop cast/sac Vengeful Dead/Gray Merchant of Asphodel as a win condition.
Arcaia explained Havengul, activated abilities have a colon ( : ) in the text. The ability on the card has a cost first, then a : and last an effect ( [Cost]: [Effect] ). Sometimes the cost requires tapping the creature which will show a on the left side of the colon. If there isn't a colon then it's not an activated ability.
Arcaia left out one thing when explaining Havengul, you can't use an activated ability for a creature for only one mana without support. Instead it's one mana to activate Havengul, then you have to pay additional mana to cast the creature. Overall Havengul for a five drop requires a lot of additional mana to get anything meaningful from it which lowers the quality of the card a lot. That's why Havengul has good interaction with Rooftop Storm and Zombies since Rooftop takes away needing to pay mana to cast the Zombie after you activate Havengul.
With Rooftop and Havengul you can indeed for one mana cast a Zombie from a graveyard. And each Zombie you cast for the turn from a graveyard only costs one mana. This lets you cast as many Zombies in graveyards equal to as much mana you have available. Havengul is good with Rooftop, but only with Rooftop, that makes it less good as a five drop overall, less quality than some other fives drops that are also in the deck.
Good job winning with Gravecrawler, it's most likely the best Zombie in Magic. This will be my last comment here.
2 weeks ago
Hey, looks like your going for a Zombie tribal theme.
Going to have to make some sacrifices of five drop Zombies and here's some advice. Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Gray Merchant of Asphodel and The Scarab God are the only three you need the rest could be cut. Muldrotha, Grave Titan, Rooftop Storm and Liliana, Dreadhorde General are the only six drops you need.
I have a Zombie tribal Muldrotha deck that I made last year, Zombie Grave Wave (Budget). My deck is budget, $200, but it could give you some ideas and you can replace the budget alternatives I'm using with more expensive price cards that you have. More advice to improve your deck is to include Gravecrawler infinite combos since it's a Zombie.
Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar + Diregraf Captain/Plague Belcher/Bontu's Monument/Blood Artist/Vengeful Dead is an infinite combo to make all your opponents lose life. Sac Gravecrawler with Altar, use the one black mana to cast Gravecrawler from your graveyard and repeat. Gravecrawler + Altar is infinite casts of Gravecrawler from your graveyard which can be used with other cards. Diregraf Colossus is infinite 2/2 Zombies. Undead Augur/Secrets of the Dead/Guardian Project can draw into a win condition. Kill all your opponents creatures with Grave Pact.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Evolving Wilds
- Cabal Stronghold: don't need this land since you have Coffers.
- Dimir Aqueduct
- Golgari Rot Farm
- Simic Growth Chamber
- Font of Fertility
- Curse of Disturbance
- Curse of Predation
- Curse of Death's Hold
- Curse of Misfortunes
- Cruel Reality
- Door of Destinies
- Springbloom Druid
- Vile Rebirth
- Casualties of War
- Geralf's Mindcrusher
- Vulturous Zombie
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Gilded Lotus
- Amulet of Vigor: not worth playing just to have Bounce lands ETB untapped.
- Soulless One
- Gravebreaker Lamia
- Havengul Lich
- Nyxbloom Ancient
- Grave Betrayal
- Deadbridge Chant
- Bow of Nylea
- Greater Good
- Sultai Ascendancy
- Eternal Skylord
- Underrealm Lich
- Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
- God-Eternal Bontu
- God-Eternal Rhonas
- Fallen Shinobi
- Unbreathing Horde
- Black Market
- Corpse Harvester
To also make room for more lands and other card upgrades this is more than 13 card suggestions to consider cutting. Many of these suggestions are good cards, but are very much outclassed by other better cards in your deck already or you could add with such a high budget.
20x total lands is not enough for a functioning Commander deck. Want at least 30-36 lands depending on how high the avg. CMC of your deck is and how many additional mana sources you include. The current avg. CMC is 3.7 which is too high. What's making it this high is too many high CMC Zombies especially five drops.
I offer more advice if you would like. Good luck with your deck.