Creature — Kor Artificer
When Stoneforge Mystic enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
, : You may put an Equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||TheAlmostHero , rockleemyhero , TheRealPeaches , Hootiequack , buildingadeck , jrschnoebelen , switchkill65 , cj96.calimlim , Mousemke|
|Want (8)||sonnet666 , mercury19 , Roadhog , DudeMan1031 , Dadaman11 , PTsmitty , rakdos24 , BlueMageBrandon|
Stoneforge Mystic Discussion
1 week ago
Stoneblade (more specifically deathblade) is my favorite deck in magic. I've been picking up pieces for it for awhile now, but I'm a college student and I've seen too many posts about people selling collections to pay bills that I don't want to invest in anything like duals or force of wills. I'm totally down for trading for them over a long period of time, but I don't want to buy them.
That said, I still want to participate in weekly LGS legacy tournaments if I can. I have no intentions of winning much, but I would like to take a few games a night. Oh yeah, and I'm super stubborn and insisting on playing a deck with Stoneforge Mystic and probably a blue deck at that, since I own Snapcaster Mage and fetches already. I can spend a little bit acquiring pieces to complete a list, but nothing like forces, duals, jace, and preferably not true-name namesis, though trading for one of those or a Karakas is a possibility, though unlikely.
Here's my current attempt at a decklist. Any advice for the deck would be much appreciated. The idea is Misdirection instead of Force of Will and a lot of awful fetching. I expect to fold to eldrazi and probably burn, but win vs death and taxes and give delver a run for their money. No jace makes beating BUG pretty tough, but not impossible.
Here are relevant cards I own: Show
- 4x Polluted Delta
- 4x Bloodstained Mire
- 1x Watery Grave
- 2x Creeping Tar Pit
- Relatively, shocks aren't that expensive so I can get Hallowed Fountain and Godless Shrine easily enough. Same for Flooded Strand.
Control, cantrips, and removal:
- 4x Brainstorm
- 4x Ponder
- 4x Swords to Plowshares
- 2x Engineered Explosives
- 1x Supreme Verdict
- 2x Thoughtseize
- 2x Spell Pierce
- 1x Counterspell
- 2x Misdirection
And anything in Rocket Science (my modern deck).
1 week ago
Nice deck, +1. You might want to take a look at my my build of the Kaalia deck for some inspiration. Here are just a few things that I noticed (and they assume a large budget, which obviously may not be the case; use your discretion):
(1) If you want Land Destruction, the obvious additions are--in addition to the things you mentioned-- Ajani Vengeant (which can also tap down/ burn a blocker so Kaalia can get through) and Ravages of War, which is Armageddon except ex$pen$ive. (I don't run it)
(2) Your creature suite: I could see some streamlining. The Akromas are somewhat controversial among Kaalia players. A lot of players think (and I agree) at the end of the day they're just dudes. Big dudes, but just dudes. They don't have anything going on besides large bodies; you can do better. Balefire Dragon would be a good start. It can singlehandedly wipe your opponents' boards. Steel Hellkite can do that too, esp. against tokens. Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon can steal wins, especially when equipped with a sword (more on that in a minute). I personally have some additional utility creatures in my deck like Grand Abolisher and Mother of Runes, as well as some cheaper creatures that can be easily cast if Kaalia gets removed so you're at least doing SOMETHING--Baneslayer Angel, Archfiend of Depravity, Stormbreath Dragon, etc. Some people run the former, but most everyone runs a few of the latter.
(3) Equipment: Would strongly recommend adding Stoneforge Mystic and acquiring Sword of Feast and Famine (combo with Hellkite Charger and Aggravated Assault--which you should also consider adding) and Sword of Light and Shadow (recursion, combo.) The Mystic can also fetch up something as simple as Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots.
(4) Sweepers: Descend Upon the Sinful is cool and on theme, but basically overpriced by 2 mana relative to the effect that you're really using it for--the sweeper effect. This could simply become the much more efficient Day of Judgment (or Toxic Deluge) and you wouldn't notice the missing angle token. I'm not sure you want to be exiling your creature anyway; ideally you'd be peeling fatties out of the graveyard with something like Phyrexian Reclamation (or Volrath's Stronghold, if you can fit it into your budget.) Merciless Eviction can stay because it's very flexible; I don't personally run it, though again I've considered it.
(5) Mana Base: The Karoo lands (i.e. Orzhov Basilica) are cute, but the Shadowmoor/ Eventide filter lands (i.e. Rugged Prairie) are simply better. If you want an essentially no-strings "Sol" land, try Ancient Tomb. I'd also see about throwing in some more fetches; the KTK fetches can still be had relatively cheap. Also, Darksteel Ingot doesn't fit the game plan all that well--ideally you want 4 mana on turn 3, which the Ingot doesn't accomplish. Mind Stone or Talisman of Indulgence are your next best bets. Also look at Expedition Map because it can both fix your mana and tutor for a utility land like Hall of the Bandit Lord.
(6) The rest of the following recommendations are upgrades/things that would supplement what you're already doing and make the deck better overall. Dark Petition has a cool effect, but it still costs 5 mana. Pick up a Vampiric Tutor if you can. Break Through the Ranks could be Sneak Attack. Etc.
Feel free to inquire if you have any more questions.
1 week ago
No sweat UnleashedHavok, always willing to provide a different perspective. My Buried Alive piles really depend on the board and my mood. If I want to be goofy I'll get Crypt Champion, Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip, and Anger, using the Crypt Champion + Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip interaction I mention in my primer. If I need to respond to the board, I choose one of my myriad toolbox answers and then usually fun value cards such as Gonti, Lord of Luxury or Stoneforge Mystic. If I have Living Death in hand I'll grab Anarchist, Mindless Automaton, and Golgari Thug and I'll go all in on the reanimation plan.
This right here is exactly why I love this deck so much. There are always so many options, and I rarely get the same pile twice. I feel like this is the best way to really embrace the singleton nature of EDH.
2 weeks ago
Its not a bad build for a beginner, however there are some cards I personally don't like, in my many times of testing
Ankle Shanker - Its not a BAD card, but if you reanimate, it doesn't trigger his ability, cause he was never declared as an attacker. Otherwise, its an ok card, but a card like Master of Cruelties would be better and provide a game winning play.
Burnished Hart - With a low curve, Sad Robot is better in the long run. Sure this guy gets you lands, but you are better off running more Signets or mana ramp
Ponyback Brigade - I'm not saying its a bad card, but for the mana you are paying, you aren't getting much value. I'd run something with more utility, like Knight-Captain of Eos, which synergizes with the deck but ALSO creates tokens for blocking or helps to fog the field if someone goes wide. Mogg War Marshal, Noosegraf Mob are other inexpensive (money wise) cards that make tokens as well
Rakka Mar - Other than being recurable, this doesn't really provide you much advantage. a 2/2 that makes a 3/1 isn't overly fantastic.
Behind the Scenes - While it is good, there are much better things you can run. The only creature you don't really want dying is Alesha, so focus more on cards that keep her alive or swing in without issues.
Impact Tremors - Less effective than Purphoros, God of the Forge (though a better "budget" card), I don't see alot of "abuse" you get from it. In my version of the deck, I have at least 9 token producers, two of which are on attack only so I get more value from them. I recommend either going more tokens, or focus more on things of yours dying, like Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat and Falkenrath Noble to start draining life from the opponents.
Mana base is what it comes to for a budget deck. Can't really comment on it too much
One thing that shuts down an Alesha/any ETB focused deck, is cards like Torpor Orb and Hushwing Gryff. While these may or may not be in your meta, having the answers to them is key. Wear / Tear, Disenchant are two artifact AND enchantment removal, and inexpensive (money wise), helping you turn off other strategies or things that are hindering your plan or can slow down people.
Personally I'd remove Mardu Banner, and instead include Fellwar Stone, if nothing else. This gives you another signet like effect, and is low enough CMC to help you get to where you need to go. Non-budget I'd get a Chromatic Lantern as an upgrade
Cards I'd consider adding:
Sadistic Hypnotist/Mind Slash - Both of these cards, while can only be used at sorcery speed, can help to disrupt players hands and can help to take them off of cards, without overly affecting your board, depending on whats going on.
Mindless Automaton - Personally I like card draw guys you can use more than once. Mindless Automaton can fuel discard effects, while also adding to the card draw. Even if you reanimate him, he gets blocked, you get to draw a card. Other card draw effects I'd consider are Phyrexian Arena, Greed, Smuggler's Copter ect.
Open the Armory/Steelshaper's Gift - Both help you to get much needed equipment out. Non budget version would be Enlightened Tutor, Stoneforge Mystic ect. Tutors are very much needed to get cards you need, but with enough card draw you can easily offset the loss of "I need X Card" to "I can draw multiple cards and dig into it", or use Viscera Seer to begin scrying to it.
As noted, the deck seems fine as a whole, but there are some cards I'd change for more consistency. I will link my deck below for reference. I personally really like my current build, and just need to work on tweaking it as I try new things and see what works and what doesn't. Hope this helps!
2 weeks ago
KALE434 Can't say I'm a big fan of O-Naginata. The power buff isn't bad but without increasing Zurgo's toughness it falls short when compared to Tenza, Godo's Maul. That's just my opinion. Sunforger isn't a bad idea. I've got one lying around, I might be able to find enough of a use for it. Mask of Memory feels like another Infiltration Lens. The draw on damage seems less useful than the card draw on block that the lens provides, given that Zurgo may very well end a game in the turn he isn't blocked.
Stoneforge Mystic would be awesome, but it's a bit too expensive for my taste. Stonehewer Giant on the other hand would fit perfectly in here. Steelshaper's Gift is really good too. I'm mixed on Steelshaper Apprentice. Four mana for a 1/3 that requires another mana to activate his ability seems a bit too costly.
2 weeks ago
Conjurer's Closet can be a pseudo-untapper card. It can definetly replace Blessed Alliance. I don't know why some of these equipment cards are in your deck but with Conjurer's Closet and Stoneforge Mystic you can get them out a lot quicker. Plus it combos well with Azami and Oujutai. If you run it, you might reconsider Reflector Mage.
3 weeks ago
Have you thought about slipping in a Basilisk Collar to have another deathtouch enabler for Alesha? I like your addition of Grim Haruspex a lot for card draw! I had not thought about her for my Alesha deck. I had been considering Mentor of the Meek, but Alesha is a surprisingly mana hungry lady. That, and I haven't stuck to 2 power or less creatures. Would you mind checking it out and letting me know what you think? Alesha, Who is Unfinished. She is in need of a little tuning right now, but I still think the list is pretty solid. Oh yeah..... with all of your equipment, have you considered a Stoneforge Mystic?
3 weeks ago
Was looking at adding Silverblade Paladin and Sword of Feast and Famine a while back. For Spellbinder I am definitely thinking about removing it and adding in my Mother of Runes and Stoneforge Mystic. I just updated my Sideboard, been lazy and haven't done it... Going to be adding a couple of infinite loops soon when my cards arrive. :) Appreciate the support and suggestions Spirits! And Sorin Markov I love when I just take down someone to 10 and they are just like.... well I don't even know what to do now lol.