|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay . If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. , Sacrifice Underhanded Designs: Destroy target creature. Activate this ability only if you control two or more artifacts
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Underhanded Designs Discussion
2 months ago
These are a few cards you could consider Hangarback Walker, Retrofitter Foundry, Skullclamp, Batterskull, Sword of Vengeance, Commander's Sphere, Expedition Map, Underhanded Designs, Price of Fame, Curtains' Call, and Go for the Throat.
Perhaps you could also try out these three Throne of Empires, Scepter of Empires, and Crown of Empires. I don't how good these would really be since I've never actually seen anyone try to assemble them, but there is part of the charm. I think this commander could pull it off. She has the recursion so you don't need to worry about losing them early and since she is Black, it lets you run more than enough tutors to go get them.
7 months ago
I've also got some massive plays out of Song of Freyalise, especially when combined with Paradox Engine. Two turns of explosive mana to empty out the graveyard or accelerate Muldrotha onto the field followed by a brutal hit when the third lore counter is added. Then, since they all have vigilance I doo it all over again. Paradox Engine isn't exactly budget friendly, but it will probably do more work than Nissa, Steward of Elements or Fetid Pools if you need to cut for price.
8 months ago
Traxos, Scourge of Kroog because it works well with artifact recursion.
No Evolving Wilds?
Underhanded Designs also works well with artifact recursion and gives you a way a cheap way to kill creatures.
Scribe of the Mindful cheap way to return instant and sorceries.
Champion of Wits card advantage.
Thrashing Brontodon using recursion to destroy artifacts/enchantments.
Deadbridge Chant increases graveyard and provides a free (random) card from graveyard to hand/play.
9 months ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.
9 months ago
what do you think about cheap enchantments that provide value in there like Curious Obsession/ Sixth Sense or Dead Man's Chest Gonti's Machinations Unbridled Growth Underhanded Designs ? new also Song of Freyalise Demonic Vigor
obviously every path could be correct as long as we dont have all the cards available to playtest
11 months ago
Pirates looks to have two possible builds: Treasure-Combo or a more aggressive combat-centric deck. I'd be inclined to focus on one over the other. Right now it's a little split between the two which is giving it that "Jack-of-all, Master-of-None" feel.
Focusing on the Revel in Riches win condition, you can utilize the creation and sacrifice of artifacts as the main mechanic of your deck.
- Marionette Master allows you to deal 4 damage to each opponent with the sacrifice of each Treasure.
- Disciple of the Vault, Underhanded Designs, and Reckless Fireweaver or often ignored because of the meager amounts of damage they deal, which adds up over time or when you burst out a handful of treasures a turn.
- Quicksmith Genius is a favorite of mine, allowing you to "rummage" away late-game lands or dig for Revel whenever you create a treasure.
- Cranial Plating can leverage your treasure count to boost your attack power.
- Pirate's Pillage is a good treasure generator.
- Time Sieve let's you buy a whole new turn with 5 treasures.
- Inspiring Statuary let's you effectively tap your treasure for mana without having to sac them.
- Never underestimate people's willingness to cash in on a Curse of Opulence. It may not make treasures, but the Gold will synergize with all the other pieces of this build.
- Confirm Suspicions similarly creates Clues. Not synergistic with Revel, but great with these other mechanics... and well... they draw cards!
- Hellkite Igniter can pump for hilarious amounts of damage depending on your treasure count.
- Herald of Anguish can fling treasure at smaller utility creatures or several treasure to bring down huge creatures. He also has improvise and discard. He's kind of nuts.
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Tezzeret the Seeker , Tezzeret, Master of Metal, Tezzeret the Schemer and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Daretti, Scrap Savant all synergize with expendable and numerous artifacts.
Focusing more on leveraging Admiral Beckett Brass's abilities we could go with more of an aggressive build. Since the pirate tribe is on the weaker side combat-wise, you're going to want combat buffs and lots of evasion.
- Urabrask the Hidden is great at getting in some quick damage and makes it difficult for your opponents to mount a defense. Doesn't synergize perfectly with Raid since they don't like haste, but it's worthwhile to keep everyone's shields down.
- Siren Stormtamer is an evasive early-game creature that allows you to trigger early game raid, counts for Admiral's ability and can save her from removal.
- Taurean Mauler counts as a pirate and can get HUGE.
- Dire Fleet Ravager is good start on reducing life totals. You're going to have more creatures than your opponents, and they're going to need to deal with his menace body, which means you're less at risk from losing life to his ability.
- Dire Fleet Poisoner might as well give one of your guys unblockable, as people will rarely want to trade down with a Pirate.
- Coastal Piracy is on flavor but Bident of Thassa is an upgrade.
- Kari Zev, Skyship Raider has menace and first strike. She may require some equipment to abuse her first-strike ability. But the menace will allow you to get damage through consistently.
- Vanquisher's Banner gives your team a mild boost coupled with some card draw.
- Similarly Herald's Horn can draw you extra pirates and makes them cheaper.
- It works great with Heirloom Blade, a card that gives you a pirate back when your pirate dies! Also +3/+1 for 1 to equip is pretty dang good for an aggro deck.
- Kindred Discovery is an insane draw-engine especially in a deck that likes to attack.
- Archetype of Imagination is a possible candidate for making your team unblockable.
Good In both Builds
- Deadeye Tracker is great at dealing with cards in graveyards, something that every EDH deck should have to combat those powerful reanimator, dredge, and combo decks out there. Additionally, this guy can grow or draw cards doing so... which is all upside.
- Deadeye Navigator can allow you to trigger Raid or create treasures repeatedly for a mere 1U. He scales in effectiveness with however many Raid and ETB effect guys you end up with. Similarly Conjurer's Closet and Panharmonicon can lean you towards a more ETB-centric build using Raid to pad out your other options.
Determining what to cut would involve going "All-in" on one of the mechanics, and effectively removing the other.
11 months ago
Yes, I had Yahenni, Undying Partisan in the deck and somehow lost it when I was increasing the creature removal. I agree - Yahenni probably works better than Gonti - change made.
I won't ever have more than 1 artefact on the field, so Underhanded Designs really doesn't work.
1 year ago
You could use Mechanized Production on a Treasure token, but you'd only get 1 extra Treasure token on your upkeep; unless you have the 8 to win the game right there, that's all you're going to get from that card. If you can't win after playing it, then it's just a dead card in your hand.
Deadeye Plunderers could have been a great card, but right now there's no reason to play it over a The Scarab God. Same casting cost, same ability cost - except while you're killing things for Revel in Riches, you can then reanimate them (including your own creatures for more Treasure tokens).
If The Scarab God is out of your price range, then I would probably recommend Marionette Master. With enough tokens, this thing can kill your opponent outright when it hits the board.
You could also probably use some more targeted removal. Never / Return, Walk the Plank, Noxious Gearhulk and Underhanded Designs are pretty good. Depths of Desire can bounce and make Treasure, and I really want to see the effectiveness of Vona's Hunger.