Sensei's Divining Top
: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
: Draw a card, then put Sensei's Divining Top on top of its owner's library.
|Want (7)||metalmagic , Mr.Bubbles11 , berk , Blackswordsman123 , Poppins , cannon13f , Teeracer|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled (V09)||Mythic Rare|
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Future Sight + Helm of Awakening + Sensei's Divining Top
- Elsha of the Infinite + Jace, Wielder of Mysteries + Sensei's Divining Top
- Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter + Sensei's Divining Top
- Bolas's Citadel + Etherium Sculptor + Sensei's Divining Top
- Etherium Sculptor + Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top
- Bolas's Citadel + Leonin Elder + Sensei's Divining Top
- Future Sight + Jhoira's Familiar + Sensei's Divining Top
- Reforge the Soul + Sensei's Divining Top
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sensei's Divining Top occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.36%
Sensei's Divining Top Discussion
10 hours ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
23 hours ago
Impulse > Anticipate
Fierce Guardianship is a blue staple
Academy Ruins is nice recursion for an artifact deck
Sensei's Divining Top - Good on it's own, synergy with future sight
Is howling mine needed in a mono blue deck?
1 day ago
Why isn't Norin listed as your commander? In any case, I have a couple ideas...
Molten Vortex - I get the concept behind this card with your high land count, but rather hope to draw this card as you are flooding your deck with a high land count and less draw, why not increase your draw and lower your land count a bit? This way, you are less reliant upon top decking and card find an easier time to maintain gas in the mid-late game. Draw ideas are as follows...
Endless Atlas - Comes down early, cheap to use, only 2nd to tome of legends but very worthwhile nevertheless
Hedron Archive - Acts as ramp when you need it and card draw when you don't. Pretty useful
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - Unlike cathartic reunion which provides virtual card advantage by giving you a better choice of cards, ignite the future provides actual card advantage. Plus, flashing it back is nice when you have ran out of gas. Light up the stage is nice, especially in your build which focuses on little damage accumulating since it can be played even cheaper. Both are highly recommended.
Mind's Eye -While expensive to cast, helps ensure gas in mid-late game. Goes well with Honor-Worn Shaku which should also be added as a strictly better wornpowerstone in this deck, because with Norin + Eye + Shaku, you can tap Norin each upkeep to untap Shake and use it to fuel mind's eye for card draw. Not to mention tapping down purphorous and your planeswalker to ramp feels good too
Solemn Simulacrum - Not necessary but a good staple in most mono red/white builds given it provides you with what you need, card draw and ramp.
Now that we have discussed card draw, it is time to help you ramp out your goals more quickly....
Curse of Opulence - Politics, and ramp with Norin that can start as early as T3. Very helpful. Don't forget, you can use the treasure tokens it makes with goblin welder to bring back an artifact!
Dockside Extortionist - Comes down early, makes lots of mana, very powerful card especially in the right meta. Highly recommended.
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Its a baby hedron archive
Ruby Medallion - Ramp, plain and simple
Sword of the Animist - Imagine Norin with the sword attacking and then running away to get a land. Very fun!
There is more ramp but this should be a decent help given your CMC is low enough already despite the chaos cards, especially for a Norin build! Kudos to that! Now let's discuss some utility...
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, removal, draw and wincon all in 1. Don't sleep on this card
Etali, Primal Storm - What chaos deck doesn't love the chaos dino? It can be a wincon on its own!
Sunbird's Invocation - This card reads, if you don't destroy me, I win in the next few turns. The amount of value this card brings is insane
Sensei's Divining Top - Top deck filter and a rare draw when you need to dig a little deeper.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Highly recommended with all of your mountains
Lastly we should discuss removal....
Chain Reaction > Storm's Wrath - There are usually many creatures in EDH and this just destroys them all instead of the weaker ones.
Nevinyrral's Disk - I see no way for you to deal with enchantments, having one reset button is crucial in case things get out of hand.
Blast Zone - Another option to deal with enchantments or pesky permanents that fits its way into the land base
Terror of the Peaks - Newest addition to any Norin deck. Synergy and power blended together at a fair CMC.
I have other suggestions and ideas for cuts should you wish. Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. Looking forward to your response.
2 days ago
3 days ago
Testing for zAzen7977's list rn
1 week ago
So, trying to come up with some budget style upgrades that won't break the bank but still pack some firepower isn't super easy. Top of the library effects that would be easy to abuse with Yennet, Cryptic Sovereign don't tend to come cheap. There's obviously Sensei's Divining Top and Scroll Rack style pieces, but those lean toward the expensive side and for some players might just be their entire mtg card purchase budget for the whole year.
But this doesn't mean there aren't some tools in the budget range.
Scheming Symmetry is a terrible tutor, but is one that you could easily break parity on given the commander.
Mystical Tutor is a bit more expensive at the close to $15 dollar mark, but not a terribly pricey piece. It's also a piece you'll get a lot of use out of for a lot of decks you might build in the future so picking up a copy would be a good idea.
Isochron Scepter pairs nicely with the tutor and is also an options that might see widespread use in future builds in roughly the same price range. Being able to tutor odd cmc spells to cast for free every turn would be a big boost in power for about $30 spent.
Nexus of Fate looks like a perfect fit for your deck. It's got an odd cmc and can be cast for free, isn't very expensive last I checked, and provides one helluva win condition. Particularly if paired with the above mentioned cards where you can indefinitely loop it every single turn for just a couple mana.
Mystic Sanctuary is a no brainer for less than the cost of a pack of gum. Putting odd cmc spells back on top of the library to cast a second time for free? Yes please.
Trade Routes is a particularly nifty pairing here with Mystic Sanctuary. You could set up infinite turn loops by using this combo in tandem with Nexus of Fate and Scheming Symmetry for example, cast the tutor, put Nexus on top, swing, casting Nexus. Pay 1 to bounce the Sanctuary, play the Sanctuary putting the tutor back on top of the library from the graveyard. Go to next turn, draw the tutor, rinse and repeat, no one else even gets to make use of the cards they tutor for except you.
You could probably add all of these cards for less than the cost of a single Sensei's Divining Top from the right vendor and bump up the power level of the deck quite a bit. Your friends, however, might hate you for it. So uh, yeah, be careful.
1 week ago
There's a couple of reasons to always try and include 8-10 fetch lands in competitive lists.
First, it helps decks be as consistent as possible in terms of opening hands and opening turn land drops that are able to provide the required colors of mana for advantageous development play patterns.
Second, it helps thin out the deck. Not a ton of help in this regard in a 100 card singleton format, but every little bit helps.
And fourth, in this particular list there is the niche application of consistently putting Islands into play with a higher number of fetch lands to help empower High Tide lines of play.
Ultimately, decks without access to green miss out on probably the best reason to run a high number of fetches as they won't have access to green mana dorks or the Bloom Combo package (although Crucible of Worlds is still accessible) that really abuses fetch lands with multiple land drops per turn to gain massive developmental advantages that make it exceedingly difficult for non green decks to compete in grindier affairs.
1 week ago
I have A LOT of suggestions and questions for this deck. But I'll start off with a few since it's a bit late...
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Value, synergy with thawing glaciers. If you wanted to, you could add a Deserted Temple for thawing glaciers and an Expedition Map to help ensure land drops and get them together (although unnecesary to add temple and expedition map, just an interesting idea)
Where is your card draw? I barely see any. I know thats red's weakness and you have Tome, wheel of fate, hedron, mindstone, Chandra torch, light up the stage, experimental frenzy, outpost siege, chandra fire, and torch. But that doesnt seem like enough? I know what I listed is long, but most of those don't pull too much weight. You should consider adding Endless Atlas, Humble Defector, Solemn Simulacrum and last but not least Skullclamp. Skullclamp works with norin given the new commander ruling, and makes those myrs do more work.
Given you run experimental frenzy, have you considered adding Ugin, the Ineffable + Sensei's Divining Top? Both of those with experimental frenzy lets you draw your entire deck, and each piece is good on it's own. Top for filter and is cheap to cast, Ugin to get rid of enchantments which is red's 2nd weakness, "card draw" and makes 1/5th of your deck cheaper to play.
WTH is chartooth tiger doing in here? Same with Copper Tablet. Both seem misplaced, the tablet I "kind of get" but it doesnt actually interact with the board in any meaningful way. Not looking at anything else, those 2 are RIPE for cutting.
I REALLY like tanglewire, thats good to note. Cool with norin and tanglewire itself, thats given me something to think about.
Would love to hear your comments on each suggestion. If you want to take a look, here's my Deck