Red spells you play cost less to cast.
|Want (3)||BauerPower288 , FirstGear , Sn_Man|
Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ruby Medallion Discussion
1 month ago
I'd personally probably cut Sensei's Divining Top. Yeah, I know it's just a good card in general, but has moved beyond the point where it has to be in every red deck. I'd consider also cutting Ruby Medallion. It only helps about half your deck.
3 months ago
I really like the build. There's quite a few cards I can think of that might be nice in here. Basilisk Collar is cheap alternative to Loxodon Warhammer, Blasphemous Act and Toralf, God of Fury Flip have very interesting reactions with Repercussion and Chandra's Incinerator goes infinite with it, Heartstone decreases the cost of Ashlings ability which can really boost her once it's mixed with mana doublers, Leyline Tyrant would let you hold up mana for Ashling on opponents turns and stockpile it for later use, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle seems like a nice choice given your land count and the presence of Vesuva and Thespian's Stage, Walking Atlas, Sword of the Animist and Ghirapur Orrery might help with ramping up for big plays, Stigma Lasher is a bit niche but if you can target it with Chandra's Ignition Lifegain decks are done for the rest of the game. Smoke and Price of Glory are nice stax pieces that shouldn't impact you too heavily given your low creature and instant count. Any one of Mogg Maniac, Brash Taunter and Stuffy Doll should all fit nicely given Ashlings explosive potential. Arcbond is a near guaranteed win against creature heavy decks. The Immortal Sun is a nearly strictly better Staff of Nin. Scrap Mastery might be a nice recovery from late game artifact wipes, or intense mill strategies. Sanctuary Blade is just as good as any of the swords at protecting Ashling and Hammer of Nazahn is nearly essential in such an equipment heavy deck, The Ozolith would help recover if Ashling gets popped before you can blow her up yourself. Harsh Mentor and Spellshock can keep infinite combos out of reach of those pesky combo players. Brass's Bounty and Reiterate can get you to infinite treasures/mana with enough lands in play and of course Ruby Medallion fits in nearly every red deck.
3 months ago
I completely agree with the above user. I have my own thoughts as well, depending on budget and how you would like to improve your deck, feel free to pick and choose what you think works best for you...
War Room - Draw, desperately needed in mono red and it doesn't take a slot since its a land
Gauntlet of Power - Removal of your commander once is expensive. You do have some ramp, IMO, not enough. While this piece of ramp isn't needed, I find I usually end games with this and a draw source to constantly apply pressure
Ruby Medallion - Expensive $ but helpful
Skullclamp - Works well with your token creation, gives you some help when they destroy your commander
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics
Blasphemous Act - Cheap wipe
Let me know what you think of each suggestion.
3 months ago
the izzet version would be strictly better. its more options with no downsides. Ruby Medallion and Caged Sun arent even that good imo, and certainly don't make up for things like Cyclonic Rift and Mana Drain.
3 months ago
I overlooked her at first (since she's the back half of a card), but after coming across her in a pack I realized she was golden. I've seen a couple lists online, and they are overwhelmingly red, only running a handful of blue cards. I have two drafts of her, one mono-R to take advantage of cards like Ruby Medallion and Caged Sun to full effect, and the other including a couple strong, splashy blue cards over some of the red chaff in the other draft. (The mana bases are incomplete at the moment.)
Commander / EDH*
Commander / EDH*
1 VIEW | IN 1 FOLDER
Which do you think I should go for/ which would you rather play?
4 months ago
First time poster. I'll try my best.
4 months ago
Hi Profet93 and thank you so much for your valuable input on my Norin deck! He is by far one of my favorite commanders. I get t he impression you have been running Norin for some time considering all of the recommendations you have provided me.
I will do my best to address each item:
Yes the Hero's Blade was in there just for that reason but in recent play I have found that it has not provided me with enough value to warrant it remaining in the deck. I also was running equipment protection with Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots, but again the value was not there. Sure they would protect the extra creatures in the deck but did not provide a step forward in the game. I have since removed these and have added one of your recommendations. Heat Shimmer and Dualcaster Mage. These two plus Imperial Recruiter seemed like the right changes considering the Recruiter can fetch virtually half of the creatures in the deck . The additional win con is a nice touch as well.
I find with such a low mana curve I have not run into mana issues. I will also be removing Shadowspear as well adding in Smoke as well as Gauntlet of Power. the mana ramp will assist with the low mana rate as well.
So far out of 18 games I have played Norin as won a Whopping 14! This has come from a variety of ways with ETB Purphoros, God of the Forge, Genesis Chamber, Repercussion + Blasphemous Act or mass creature damage with Glacial Chasm on board. nominal creature damage and of course politics. Norin never really feels like a threat to anyone until he goes off. Evenly depleting everyone for damage without being the aggressor.
some of the items you recommended like Lightning Bolt / Outpost Siege do not tickle my fancy due to the singular damage. I prefer equal damage for political reasons and the simple fact that 1 damage per ETB is not enough for my liking.
Now Terror of the Peaks is on order for me already and Ruby Medallion and Sensei's Divining Top are both great suggestions that I will be scouting out additional copies to add to Norin. Very valuable recommendations!
I Prefer the Curse over the Sword due to the low CMC and lack of equip cost. The Wheel of Misfortune is also a quality suggestion and an extra wheel effect that could prove valuable mid to late game. Light Up the Stage and Ignite the Future do seem good. I did consider them during my initial build but leaned towards Stolen Strategy for the repeat effect. Most games I hold onto Warstorm Surge and Confusion in the Ranks for both their high CMC and lack of board utility. I might give your two suggestions another kick at the can!
I do have an extra Crucible of Worlds on tap that I could use and that coupled with fetches could trim down the deck thoughout the game. I like your idea on this.
I have no budget for this deck so i am also considering the better more powerful Gauntlet of Might but having trouble locating one! My playgroup is ULTRA aggressive hence the style of this build.
All in all I am having loads of fun with Norin. He is slowly becoming my most played deck and with some of these suggestions I am looking forward to seeing how they fair in battle!
I thank you for your beefy comment and time you took with the recommendations my friend. When I have some free time I will check out your profile and decks. Return the favor you gave me :) Cheers!
4 months ago
- What is the point of Hero's Blade? Attach it to Norin while you have warstorm surge for extra damage?
- Extraplanar Lens doesn't seem too impactful in this build, with only 16 (15 after exile) mountains, I can't see how it's potential benefit outweighs it's vast cost of putting you down one land and benefiting your opponents
- You have such a low land count, even counting your artifact ramp, do you feel yourself struggling for lands if you can't get one of your draw engines such as skullclamp and tome of legends?
- How do you win, are your options either Insurrection hoping they have bombs on the field or MLD while hoping to have one of 3 enchantments that deal damage upon ETB, am I missing something? I also see the reiterate + mana gyser combo, what mana dump do you use, or do you just dump your hand?
- Terror of the Peaks - You're running warstorm surge which is more expensive, albeit, harder to remove. I feel the redundancy is needed in Norin.
- Sensei's Divining Top - Helpful to smooth out draws and overall utility.
- Ruby Medallion - Seems helpful in a build like this, even with 20% of your cards being artifacts
- Sword of the Animist - Potentially a bit slow for your tastes, but ensuring land drops is nice. Best part is, Norin exiles himself from combat after swinging (yes, he gets scared of his own shadow) so the only downside is the re-equip cost. Might be worth considering
- Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics, what's not to like?
- Outpost Siege - Draw when you need or damage when your hand is full. I think this should take over dingus egg, but I suppose thats meta dependent as you do have a lot of wipes
- Light Up the Stage/Ignite the Future - Both are worth considering as the cards can be played on the following turn as opposed to the same turn. I think light up the stage is better in a build like yours
- Wheel of Misfortune - Draw and politics
- Lightning Bolt - Always bluff removal for cheap
- Deflecting Swat - While we will rarely have our commander on board, I find it's potential to be worth taking a look at ..... Counter counterspells, redirect targetted draw, extra turns, removal, etc... very versatile and potentially for free.
- Dualcaster Mage + Heat Shimmer - Classic combo, both pieces valuable on their own and provides another win condition.
- Not a serious suggestion at all, but myconsith lattice is really fun with your artifact removal, goblin welder, dockside, etc...
- Do you have enough basics to warrant ruination, or is that meta dependent?
- A note regarding confusion in the ranks, just wanna make sure you're aware that it triggers on itself, meaning, if an opponent has an enchantment, you switch control upon ETB. Many people miss that, it has saved me from many games (nice omniscience you got there)
- On it's best and worst days, how does this deck play? With such little lands, some of which don't produce mana (unless you have blood moon effects). With all of your MLD, I'm surprised you don't run Crucible of Worlds, given that it synergizes with buried ruin as well. Moreover, if you added fetchlands and sensei's top (not suggesting, just noting), you can use crucible for guaranteed land drops and top with fetches to manipulate your top deck.
- Meta? Budget per card?
I know it's a wall of text but I love Norin and enjoy playing him, albeit, differently than an optimized player like yourself. Please do let me know what you think of each suggestion as I would like to pick your brain about the most brave commander in all of MTG!