Terror of the Peaks
Creature — Dragon
Spells your opponents cast that target Terror of the Peaks cost an additional 3 life to cast.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Terror of the Peaks deals damage equal to that creature's power to target creature, player or planeswalker.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Terror of the Peaks Discussion
2 hours ago
Hey! Kinda late, but I would like to suggest some stuff:
(Disclaimer: I have a budget way lower than yours, but I've been tinkering with Ghired for almost two years - he's my favorite commander. I'll break the suggested upgrades down into categories for better organization.)
- You need them for Ghired and his tokens to attack right away, as well as to use your creatures with tap abilities on demand. Please consider Hammer of Purphoros in addition to Lightning Greaves and Fires of Yavimaya. The Hammer can even create tokens if needed.
Ramp: Run at least 15 ramp cards to make your deck flow smoother and faster.
As an aggressive deck, speed is fundamental. Fellwar Stone, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, Skyshroud Elf, Bloom Tender, Faeburrow Elder, Chromatic Lantern, Coalition Relic, Wood Elves, Skyshroud Claim and Mirari's Wake can ramp and heavily fix your mana, taking the place of Gyre Sage, Solemn Simulacrum, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Xenagos, the Reveler - the latter is a win-more ramp, and his 2/2 token is not large enough to synergize with the power-based card draw, while the other four fix for a single color of mana (Ghired decks can sometimes be color-hungry), and this deck can't abuse the sad robot for value.
In the land department, Krosan Verge and Blighted Woodland pull their weight, and synergize greatly with Avenger of Zendikar and Rampaging Baloths. Maybe remove Cascading Cataracts? (Your spells are not THAT color hungry.)
Have you considered Warstorm Surge and Terror of the Peaks as a mean to do damage even before attacking? The dragon can even be cloned with Flamerush Rider, Flameshadow Conjuring and Soul Foundry for extra copies of the same effect (the game ends quiiiickly after that). I'd remove Dragonmaster Outcast for that, since its effect is slow (albeit amazing if he lasts on the field).
Extra combats: You don't have to worry about your opponents' answers if they never get to their turn, so...
- Moraug, Fury of Akoum, Aurelia, the Warleader, Combat Celebrant, Scourge of the Throne (I believe there is an infinite combo involving those two), Savage Beating, Response / Resurgence, Breath of Fury (always attach it to your disposable tokens to keep attacking).
Winds of Abandon might replace Hour of Reckoning. I don't really like to lose Ghired on a boardwipe, since he costs 7 mana to recast. Winds of Abandon also works as evasion for your creatures, since your opponents won't have creatures to block. As for the ramp it offers, an opponent can't do anything with the extra lands if he/she's dead, right? :-)
Card draw: Alongside ramp, it is my main concern with Ghired. I want to be able to rebuild my board after a boardwipe.
I believe that Camaraderie can be substituted for Shamanic Revelation as the latter cost less mana. Mouth / Feed is another option that creates its own big token. Return of the Wildspeaker can either draw cards or buff creatures for an alpha strike.
Keeper of Fables triggers all other power-based card draw, while giving easy draw triggers to all your trampling creatures. Elder Gargaroth is a buffed, more versatile version of it. And remember: both can be cloned for extra juicy draw or extra tokens.
Sylvan Library is an overall great card filter for your regular draws. It gets better with shufflers like fetchlands and tutors.
Since your deck is focused on attacking and getting extra combat steps, Etali, Primal Storm might be a fun way to play your opponents' cards while lowering their life points.
Some cards I suggest you to remove:
- Sundering Growth: you already have enough flexible removal. You will almost never be in a situation in which the token to copy and the artifact/enchantment to remove are optimal choices. Since you're running Eladamri's Call, Reclamation Sage might be worth including (and cloned for the enjoyment of your friends).
- Starnheim Unleashed: one token is too little for a whole card slot in the deck. If you're foretelling, it costs a lot of mana to be worthwhile. The game might be over before that.
- Growing Ranks: waiting a whole rotation to get a token which does not even have haste is not ideal.
- Ghired's Belligerence, Full Flowering: good for a late game play, mostly dead until then. I like those, but I removed them in favor of more mid-game cards, since I might not last until 9+ mana.
- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice: while on-theme, it does little to advance your win condition.
- Thunderfoot Baloth: not an amazing buff. Your creatures are big already, and Garruk's Uprising takes care of the evasion.
- Feldon of the Third Path: all-star when there is a lot of graveyard filling - there is none in this deck. (I really tried to keep him on my deck because I like the card, but most of the time there was no creature in my graveyard.)
- Eldrazi Displacer: are you using it for a combo? I couldn't identify it.
Some cool lands for you to try out: (landbase is my favorite part of deckbuilding)
- Castle Garenbrig: how easily do you have access to a Forest for it to be worth including in your deck?
- Rogue's Passage: can sometimes help you to finish an opponent.
- Scavenger Grounds: if you face graveyard-centric decks (you don't seem to use your graveyard much).
- Hanweir Battlements Meld: another haste enabler.
- Gargoyle Castle: sometimes you need a flying token. (I rarely use it, but I like to have the option.)
- Gemstone Caverns: a turn-0 ramp when the first turn is not yours.
- Bonders' Enclave: card draw on a land (easily accessible).
- Mana Confluence, Battlefield Forge, Karplusan Forest, Brushland, Horizon Canopy, Sunbaked Canyon, Prismatic Vista, Cragcrown Pathway Flip, Branchloft Pathway Flip, Needleverge Pathway Flip: more untapped dual lands.
I hope I've been of some help to you. I didn't suggest many token-related cards because I believe that, as long as you have decent ramp, draw and removal in your deck, you can win to your heart's content. Wanna throw in a Godsire? Do it. Prefer to clone your opponents' creatures with Hate Mirage? Go ahead. But the fundamentals of the deck is what makes it flow consistently. Have fun and smash 'em all (and run Doubling Season for extra fun) ;-)
3 hours ago
Mono red jank. Love it!
Otherwise nicely done!
2 days ago
Hi Profet93 and thank you so much for your valuable input on my Norin deck! He is by far one of my favorite commanders. I get t he impression you have been running Norin for some time considering all of the recommendations you have provided me.
I will do my best to address each item:
Yes the Hero's Blade was in there just for that reason but in recent play I have found that it has not provided me with enough value to warrant it remaining in the deck. I also was running equipment protection with Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots, but again the value was not there. Sure they would protect the extra creatures in the deck but did not provide a step forward in the game. I have since removed these and have added one of your recommendations. Heat Shimmer and Dualcaster Mage. These two plus Imperial Recruiter seemed like the right changes considering the Recruiter can fetch virtually half of the creatures in the deck . The additional win con is a nice touch as well.
I find with such a low mana curve I have not run into mana issues. I will also be removing Shadowspear as well adding in Smoke as well as Gauntlet of Power. the mana ramp will assist with the low mana rate as well.
So far out of 18 games I have played Norin as won a Whopping 14! This has come from a variety of ways with ETB Purphoros, God of the Forge, Genesis Chamber, Repercussion + Blasphemous Act or mass creature damage with Glacial Chasm on board. nominal creature damage and of course politics. Norin never really feels like a threat to anyone until he goes off. Evenly depleting everyone for damage without being the aggressor.
some of the items you recommended like Lightning Bolt / Outpost Siege do not tickle my fancy due to the singular damage. I prefer equal damage for political reasons and the simple fact that 1 damage per ETB is not enough for my liking.
Now Terror of the Peaks is on order for me already and Ruby Medallion and Sensei's Divining Top are both great suggestions that I will be scouting out additional copies to add to Norin. Very valuable recommendations!
I Prefer the Curse over the Sword due to the low CMC and lack of equip cost. The Wheel of Misfortune is also a quality suggestion and an extra wheel effect that could prove valuable mid to late game. Light Up the Stage and Ignite the Future do seem good. I did consider them during my initial build but leaned towards Stolen Strategy for the repeat effect. Most games I hold onto Warstorm Surge and Confusion in the Ranks for both their high CMC and lack of board utility. I might give your two suggestions another kick at the can!
I do have an extra Crucible of Worlds on tap that I could use and that coupled with fetches could trim down the deck thoughout the game. I like your idea on this.
I have no budget for this deck so i am also considering the better more powerful Gauntlet of Might but having trouble locating one! My playgroup is ULTRA aggressive hence the style of this build.
All in all I am having loads of fun with Norin. He is slowly becoming my most played deck and with some of these suggestions I am looking forward to seeing how they fair in battle!
I thank you for your beefy comment and time you took with the recommendations my friend. When I have some free time I will check out your profile and decks. Return the favor you gave me :) Cheers!
2 days ago
Immersturm Predator is fine, but there are better choices in my opinion. Yahenni, Undying Partisan has many of the same upsides, but comes out for less mana and less colors. Immersturm is probably better than Falkenrath Aristocrat in my opinion, though I haven't tested it.
Krav, the Unredeemed similarly there are just better options out there. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is obviously miles better, of course, these cards cost more $$ as well, so that's a consideration for sure. However, my budget list doesn't run these guys either, to be fair. A main concern is definitely that it both costs 5 to play AND has an activation cost on top of that. It's super important to play this kind of deck as fast and low to the ground as possible.
Juri, Master of the Revue is basically just a Lightning Bolt most of the time. It's not like that's terrible, but I'd rather just run something more impactful like Plaguecrafter as a means of controlling the board.
Black Market I've never really felt like I needed the mana from this honestly. Especially with the relatively easy access to 2MV mana rocks these days. As long as you have a decent amount of card draw you should be fine in most games in my opinion.
Terror of the Peaks is basically a better version of Flayer of the Hatebound so if you had wanted to run that, then Terror of the Peaks is the way to go. You can see in my primer that I don't think the effect is too important generally though. It's a high mana value card that requires you to already have a lot of other pieces in play to really take advantage of it, and I think there's better payoffs you could be running comparatively. It's best in a slower meta, but it's certainly playable as a top end of your mana curve card though.
4 days ago
- What is the point of Hero's Blade? Attach it to Norin while you have warstorm surge for extra damage?
- Extraplanar Lens doesn't seem too impactful in this build, with only 16 (15 after exile) mountains, I can't see how it's potential benefit outweighs it's vast cost of putting you down one land and benefiting your opponents
- You have such a low land count, even counting your artifact ramp, do you feel yourself struggling for lands if you can't get one of your draw engines such as skullclamp and tome of legends?
- How do you win, are your options either Insurrection hoping they have bombs on the field or MLD while hoping to have one of 3 enchantments that deal damage upon ETB, am I missing something? I also see the reiterate + mana gyser combo, what mana dump do you use, or do you just dump your hand?
- Terror of the Peaks - You're running warstorm surge which is more expensive, albeit, harder to remove. I feel the redundancy is needed in Norin.
- Sensei's Divining Top - Helpful to smooth out draws and overall utility.
- Ruby Medallion - Seems helpful in a build like this, even with 20% of your cards being artifacts
- Sword of the Animist - Potentially a bit slow for your tastes, but ensuring land drops is nice. Best part is, Norin exiles himself from combat after swinging (yes, he gets scared of his own shadow) so the only downside is the re-equip cost. Might be worth considering
- Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics, what's not to like?
- Outpost Siege - Draw when you need or damage when your hand is full. I think this should take over dingus egg, but I suppose thats meta dependent as you do have a lot of wipes
- Light Up the Stage/Ignite the Future - Both are worth considering as the cards can be played on the following turn as opposed to the same turn. I think light up the stage is better in a build like yours
- Wheel of Misfortune - Draw and politics
- Lightning Bolt - Always bluff removal for cheap
- Deflecting Swat - While we will rarely have our commander on board, I find it's potential to be worth taking a look at ..... Counter counterspells, redirect targetted draw, extra turns, removal, etc... very versatile and potentially for free.
- Dualcaster Mage + Heat Shimmer - Classic combo, both pieces valuable on their own and provides another win condition.
- Not a serious suggestion at all, but myconsith lattice is really fun with your artifact removal, goblin welder, dockside, etc...
- Do you have enough basics to warrant ruination, or is that meta dependent?
- A note regarding confusion in the ranks, just wanna make sure you're aware that it triggers on itself, meaning, if an opponent has an enchantment, you switch control upon ETB. Many people miss that, it has saved me from many games (nice omniscience you got there)
- On it's best and worst days, how does this deck play? With such little lands, some of which don't produce mana (unless you have blood moon effects). With all of your MLD, I'm surprised you don't run Crucible of Worlds, given that it synergizes with buried ruin as well. Moreover, if you added fetchlands and sensei's top (not suggesting, just noting), you can use crucible for guaranteed land drops and top with fetches to manipulate your top deck.
- Meta? Budget per card?
I know it's a wall of text but I love Norin and enjoy playing him, albeit, differently than an optimized player like yourself. Please do let me know what you think of each suggestion as I would like to pick your brain about the most brave commander in all of MTG!
1 week ago
The deck is awesome, great job! Maybe consider Terror of the Peaks instead of Warstorm Surge? It fits your curve better by eliminating that gap between CMC4 and 6 you currently have, while also meeting the trigger condition for Unsealing, being cheapened by Goreclaw and being a creature to cheapen Ghalta.
1 week ago
Yeah, there are quite some ways to create infinite combos with indestructible on Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients, could throw out the Strionic Resonator for the Blazing Sunsteel if you want more infinite combos.
Theres also an infinite combo with Polyraptor + Marauding Raptor/AEther Flash and Warstorm Surge/Terror of the Peaks etc and since dinos are nearly dragons... Anyways, if you dont have or lose the pinger there you just have an unstoppable infinite combo which will result in a draw and I did not really like that idea.
1 week ago
A few cards that could be great for your deck are : Dragon Tempest is an extra Scourge of Valkas that gives all your dragons haste too. Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded is another haste enabler with added utility. Molten Echoes , Reflections of Littjara and Sunbird's Invocation can get you a lot of extra value just for playing dragons
A kicked Rite of Replication on Scourge of Valkas or Terror of the Peaks will end most games if you’re into ‘I win’ plays. Sakashima's Will or Kindred Charge are jankier ways that will get you most of the way there