|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creatures you control have hexproof. (They can't be the targets of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
: Regenerate target creature.
1 day ago
Scavenging Ooze is one of the best (if not the best) green graveyard hate cards. Next time I'm playing against a gy deck you can watch me search it up. Plus I don't think its better than any of the other cards (besides Tooth and Nail which I probs/maybe/definitely should be playing so nevermind)
Asceticism - Missed this one at first. Card is 5 mana do nothing or 7 mana dou your best but get naturalized or something anyway. Its just not worth it.
Zendikar's Roil - Also skipped over this one! Its cool but its 5 mana do nothing. I'm not even playing Nesting Dragon. If I was playing Omnath I'd play it for that sweet elemental value.
2 days ago
I agree with Darth 100%
I would remove Drawbridge, Witchstalker, Maraleaf, Rosethorn, and Sporecap and replace them with mana dorks.
Absolutely all but Henge could go otherwise aside from your creature spells.
I would suggest some draw, since you want/will have a lot of mana to play with, might as well have the stuff you need. You got Harmonize and Tormenting Voice to name a few. Or go with fetch spells to grab whichever lands you need fixed Rampant Growth
and if you want to keep their hands off your stuff Whispersilk Cloak / Ranger's Guile / Swiftfoot Boots / Lightning Greaves / Alpha Authority are some fairly budgeted options. Otherwise if you wanna throw a Asceticism , I mean what could it hurt?
3 days ago
You are probably missing the Top End token producers like Avenger of Zendikar or Tendershoot Dryad . Another alternative is Mycoloth to get a ton of tokens on the field. Another thing would be to include stuff that ends the game in one swing. You have Ojutai that grows bigger and bigger why not include a Overwhelming Stampede to give all your tokens his power and toughness and trample. Another thing would be Beastmaster Ascension or End-Raze Forerunners . A more hated variant of this would be Triumph of the Hordes .
Protection is also needed so i would include Heroic Intervention Rootborn Defenses that save your board the most scary thing for a token deck: Board Wipes. Asceticism and Privileged Position saves you spot removal trouble. If you don't like enchantments Archetype of Endurance is an alternative.
Card Draw should also not be neglected. I would play around your commanders and your win conditions. Ojutai gets huge pretty quickly so stuff like Rishkar's Expertise and Soul's Majesty or Garruk, Primal Hunter should give you the explosiveness to draw into your win conditions. Another thing to consider would be Huatli, Radiant Champion , easily the best Planeswalker you can put into a token deck and draws you cards for every creature that enters the battlefield. Exactly what we want for deck like this.
I also would cut Helm of the Host and rather play Bramble Sovereign cause helm is really scary and fragile too. You can easily waste 2 turns paying 9 mana only for your creature you want to equip it too being destroyed. Another thing i see is Entreat the Angels as a problem. It is a super good card but you have not much top of the library manipulation so i would cut it for Divine Visitation , does exactly what you want create 4/4 angels for every token you make. Also another thing to include and that is easily on of the best win condition if it hits turn 2 is Luminarch Ascension .
That's all for now from me, if you have any more questions just hit me up with them!
1 week ago
Thanks for the input Bighimmy!
So I've gone through the list and my understanding is that you mean proactive interaction/removal. So from the deck list thus far there is:
- Assassin's Trophy
- Beast Within
- Windgrace's Judgement
- Pernicious Deed
- World Shaper
- Acidic Slime
For boardwipes there are:
Now for some of the other options I've gone through in the past I personally don't feel like a few of them are really worth it, and feel free to discuss these since there's always going to be something that I'm missing or haven't really thought about. My thoughts on:
- Chaos Warp : This is an attractive option, it deals with anything and you can even use it on your own permanents to try and spin into something more useful. It means that certain threats don't go to the graveyard (for reanimation or death triggers) and can get lost in the deck. However, from past experience I'm much more a fan of Assassin's Trophy as you can then Bojuka Bog to exile the threat along with the rest of the graveyard. This is a less risky option, and I completely understand why people go to it but I know I'll be kicking myself once a Chaos Warp turns a threat into a bigger threat.
- Gaze of Granite : Pernicious Deed just does everything that Gaze of Granite does that much better with the only exception being planeswalkers. You don't have to sink all your mana into the casting (so if it gets countered it's not a complete loss) and furthermore you can use Pernicious Deed at instant speed, which is a massive way to interact with non-creature permanent-based strategies (such as enchantments and artifacts).
- Go for the Throat / Doom Blade / Dismember / Abrupt Decay : I'm not a massive fan of conditional removal in commander because my rule of thumb is that the broadest answer is the best answer the vast majority of cases.
- Putrefy : for the longest time I played this in the deck before Ravnica Allegiances rolled around and Bedevil took its place. The ability to interact with planeswalkers is fantastic, but the key thing I think is that the inability to regenerate clause from Putrefy isn't of massive concern for this deck for a couple of reasons. Firstly regeneration isn't particularly common, and when it is you're dealing with Asceticism in which case you're not Putrefying anything. Otherwise you have access to Damnation which doesn't allow regeneration and Toxic Deluge which also doesn't allow regeneration.
- Force of Vigor : I started playing this in my Ayula, Queen Among Bears commander deck and in mono green it is the best answer to a lot of early game and late game threats. Current this deck has 42 green cards so there's no shortage of fodder to play this for free on your opponent's turn, but I'm unsure as to what this supercedes in the deck currently.
- Casualties of War : as a budget option this is fine but the sorcery speed makes this lacklustre.
- Noxious Revival : This was on the radar for a while when I was concerned about getting Glacial Chasm destroyed and then getting exiled, however there is not really a reliable way to recur this effect, and it is not particularly powerful (though has some utility due to being able to play it at instant speed for nothing). My other concern was that it requires an additional step to get it into hand, so if you draw it for turn, you would need a way to draw an additional card to then get whatever you need from the graveyard to your hand. As a redundant effect for Eternal Witness I understand, however I think it is too much of a corner case and I would be more of a fan of Regrowth -like as you will have access massive amounts of excess mana from Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers . I imagine something like this will come along some time in the near future, it's only a matter of time.
- Red Elemental Blast / Pyroblast / Guttural Response : I find that this angle of interaction is far too narrow to really be applicable unless you know there is a very high chance of versing counterspells in your local meta. This is why I find that Boseiju, Who Shelters All is a better solution to this problem, primarily because it can be searched off abilities and deals with the majority of effects while being difficult to interact with itself. Now the way your opponents can get around this is effects like Venser, Shaper Savant , Narset's Reversal or any other Unsubstantiate -type abilities. I learned to simply accept this as a weakness of the deck given the colours. The archetype is rather weak to its inability to interact with the stack, but I think there are more unconventional ways around this, such as Contamination to punish their mana base or by waiting until your counter-laden opponents are tapped out from trying to deal with each other. I think that this is a fair trade off for this deck being difficult to interact with.
The main weakness of this deck I believe is its inability to deal with mill and combo effectively, vulnerability to bounce effects on the stack like Venser, Shaper Savant and counterspells. I've found that these weaknesses can be reduced with a couple of strategies:
- Playing some political cards Pir's Whim + Tempt with Discovery + Rites of Flourishing to try and ameliorate the board (and not draw the ire of anyone who might have a counter available),
- Building up a solid land base from both a deckbuilding and play perspective to support a late-game comeback due to the lack of cards that effectively interact with land-base strategies, and
- The ability to play around counterspells and interaction, such as Boseiju, Who Shelters All and reliance on using abilities rather than just spells.
So after a little more testing, Elvish Reclaimer is an absolute house in being able to effectively Crop Rotation each turn to more reliable tutor out either ramping or utility land. The summoning sickness issue means that again this does not pull this deck back from the brink in the late game, but as an early game drop it provides access to both stocking the graveyard for Lord Windgrace and fixing mana for the later game. I regret my initial skepticism on this addition and think it is a great upgrade for the deck.
I am planning on adding in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King shortly because I think another Gitrog Monster will be welcome here. I think I'll finally have to pull the trigger on cutting Zuran Orb , it's been there since the start...
2 weeks ago
Very nice list! You might like these: Verdant Embrace , Winding Constrictor , Hardened Scales , Asceticism , Snake Umbra , Solidarity of Heroes , Inspiring Call , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Death's Presence , Corpsejack Menace
4 weeks ago
I had Asceticism in the deck for a long time but I found that if I drew it I rarely played it. The hexproof was good but the regeneration clause never came up.
1 month ago
So now I'm going to organize this post is from different types of cards and alternatives and/or strictly better cards that have the same Converted mana cost!
Let's start with enchantments! It seems like your all over the place, which is fine, but you have aura enchantments and land enchantments. which seems a little weird to me! Normally you want to either go a route for your deck, and this seems unorganized, so let us fix that! Serra Aviary is a bad card, cause it also gives opponents fliers +1/+1, we don't want this. So id suggest either going with some like Citadel Siege cause sure, it won't buff all creatures, and it'll give a boost to one creature you want per turn, or it can be used defensively which is always a plus! I'd also suggest going Dictate of Heliod cause it gives an extra +1/+1 for one extra mana, AND IT HAS FLASH! For cards that are better for the 4 cmc are Light from Within , Force of Virtue , Marshal's Anthem .
For protection cards or cards that accumulate value, instead of Angelic Renewal and Angelic Accord , cards which can be good, but you don't have a whole lof of life gain or recursion to run these two! So I'd suggest cards like Sigil of the New Dawn , Kindred Boon , Privileged Position and Asceticism are 100% more effective in protecting your creatures or giving good value.
Now that we got enchantments out of the way! lets work on these instants! I love some of these instants, Absorb is a fun card that I'm 100% gonna get, same with Archmage's Charm ! Disdainful Stroke , Essence Scatter (and the like), Commencement of Festivities and Guardian Angel are all weaker versions of cards like Mana Drain and Counterspell which I'd upgrade with. I'd also suggest getting some artifact/enchantment removal such as Krosan Grip one of the best in this as it has split second, another card I highly recommend is Bant Charm one of the most versatile instant printed in these colors. some other instants i enjoy and have seen good results with are Teferi's Protection , Plasm Capture / Mana Drain , Render Silent , Arcane Denial , Dawn Charm and Heroic Intervention . Those are just some of my recommendations! I may have some more but You'd really need to let me know what direction you want to go!!
For sorceries, you're in gosh darn green! WHERE ARE THE RAMP SPELLS?!!??!!? Add Farseek , and since we have big fatty CMC angels, Recross the Paths puts in some work! Kodama's Reach and Explosive Vegetation are better than cards like Rampant Growth because 1) it gives card advantage (2 lands for 1 card) and 2) gives us more mana to work with during the late game! (this is when angel decks typically win). other ramp spells I use are Cultivate and Traverse the Outlands .
I've noticed this deck does not have a SINGLE BOARD WIPE, as big as our angels are for the CMC, we won't be able to cast them until later, board wipes are essential to have especially since you aren't running any pillow forts kind of cards, I HIGHLY recommend adding some, cards that I've always had in my white decks are Austere Command , Rout , Supreme Verdict , Cleansing Nova , Descend upon the Sinful , Planar Cleansing and Mass Calcify . Some other sources that are more focused with tribal is Harsh Mercy sure each player gets to pick a creature type, but that typically is one creature for them, and of course we'll pick angels, so we get the upper-hand in this!
We need some card draw, and this is important as I don't see any in this deck and that is a HUGE mistake. Think about adding cards like Rishkar's Expertise , Praetor's Counsel , Blue Sun's Zenith , Sphinx's Revelation , Finale of Revelation just to name a few that come to mind.
For Lands, these look just.....fine albeit slow, but not quite optimized. I totally understand how people on a budget don't run cards like Misty Rainforest and the like. But as a 3 color deck, I suggest adding in cards like Temple of Enlightenment and Temple of Plenty at least you'll get value from them coming in tapped. Other cards I'd suggest are Krosan Verge , Prairie Stream , Flooded Grove , Wooded Bastion , Seaside Citadel , Path of Ancestry , Forbidden Orchard (cause what is a 1/1 to our angels? PFFT) other lands that give some utility in a pinch are: Scattered Groves and Irrigated Farmland ! other good cards are Glacial Fortress (and it's kin), Hinterland Harbor and Temple Garden !
For Artifacts, I see the signets, I don't typically run the
and X signets just cause I like my land ramp better and won't get destroyed with target removal or artifact/enchantment wipes. but as a 3 color deck, you 100% NEED
basically makes all your mana problems go away, just tap lands for whatever color you need! If you're trying to go for some voltronish cards, I'd suggest going like
, which basically secures that you keep whatever creature you want alive for the rest of the game (unless they exile it with a spell somehow).
is also a good card as people won't want to block because it exiles shit, which is GREAT, let me tell you how many times people didn't block because they wanted to keep their creature(s).
For tribal support cards, there is a very small pool to chose from, So you might want to grab a Vanquisher's Banner , Herald's Horn , Urza's Incubator , Door of Destinies , Coat of Arms , Stoneforge Masterwork and Cryptic Gateway are some cards to look at!
Ok, lets finally get this creature situation fixed! first of, YOU'RE AN ANGEL DECK WITHOUT ITS PRIME GURL!?! WHERE IS MY Avacyn, Angel of Hope ?!?!?!??!!?!?!? I'm disappointed!!!! But for real, add her.
Other cards considering should be Metallic Mimic (if you're going for a 1/1 counter theme.) Solemn Simulacrum should go in here, he's just too good not to have here! Rhonas the Indomitable is a great mana sink, and if you really need to give trample to your creatures, Nylea, God of the Hunt is also a good alternative. Resplendent Angel is a great 3 cmc angel, don't underestimate this gurl! Sephara, Sky's Blade is also a great (shittier) version of our gurl Avacyn, Angel of Hope but still a good effect none-the-less! Iridescent Angel , for a 7 mana angel, I was hesitant at running her in my jenara deck, but has proved to be SO GOSHDARN STRONG! Can literally take ANY damage from ANYTHING (don't mention the Eldrazi to this gurl) but it has soaked up a lot of damage over my games. Archangel of Tithes is a great 4 cmc angel that gives taxes for attacking and defending! great include! Angel of Invention a fabulous card, especially if you have something that gives +1/+1 counters, say a Bow of Nylea , is a great addition to our squad! Angel of Serenity is a good card here as well! great recursion for this deck! since we're in bant, Stoic Angel is also a good include! Akroma, Angel of Wrath can't go wrong with an 8/8 creature with so many keywords and protection(s)!
Also, there is ONE card that is SO GOSHDARN UNDERRATED AND NEVER PLAYED and has literally been the BIGGEST beater I've EVER seen is non-other than Selfless Squire . THIS GURL...Where are my words for this card. It's a fog effect but you get a MASSIVE creature that has to be answered or your opponent die! I've had people swing at me for 20+ damage, not worried because of Selfless Squire and she becomes a huge creature, give her trample and/or indestructible, good game! This gurl is so badass she can oftentimes beat an ELDRAZI TITAN 1v1 (in terms of power/toughness). Best and most fun card I'VE EVER PLAYED IN A CREATURE! 50/10 would recommend!
1 month ago
I'd also like to say that as wonderful as Primal Vigor should be, my husband has a deck that's focus is Myr tokens, so it could end up backfiring horribly (or being incredibly useful in two-headed giant... things to consider)!
I really appreciate both of your suggestions, thank you!
Also, glad you like the name Fenryr. I used it for my original Hydra deck in MTGA, and my husband ended up stealing the name when he made his own MTGA hydra deck. I just enjoy a certain set of films, personally, so it was kind of a no brainer for me!
Asceticism occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%