Creature — Merfolk Warrior
When Whirlpool Warrior enters the battlefield, shuffle the cards from your hand into your library, then draw that many cards.
(Red), Sacrifice Whirlpool Warrior: Each player shuffles the cards from his or her hand into his or her library, then draws that many cards.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Whirlpool Warrior Discussion
1 month ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 month ago
The changes I'm testing right now, to fit a Cloudstone package and a discount Cephalid Breakfast.
Wheel of Misfortune was just too hard to control effectively, and I can't force my opponents to draw with Narset or Hullbreacher out (also, making it work right often cost too much life if I was the archenemy). Whirlpool Warrior does that trick better.
Cephalid Constable was cute and won me some games, but it always left everyone unhappy at the end of the game. Cephalid Illusionist costs one less mana, mills cards to give Vadrok fuel, and sometimes can help on defense.
Speaking of Illusionist, I'm testing Lightning Greaves to mill my whole deck along with him (by alternating between Illusionist and another creature). I'd rather run Nomads en-Kor , but I'm not running any white... Lightning Greaves can help protect something like Toothy or Con Sphinx anyway, so hopefully it's not TOO bad on its own.
Goblin Engineer can fetch Curio, and Cloudstone Curio can reset Vadrok's mutation, or simply go infinite with Cloud of Faeries and/or Dockside Extortionist (potentially with help from Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip).
Intuition has been in and out before, but I'm testing it to try packages like Lore Drakkis / Snap + Underworld Breach + Dockside Extortionist / Sea-Dasher Octopus (assuming I already have Vadrok on field). At the very least, it's essentially an Entomb for Underworld Breach , since no opponent in their right mind would ever allow me to have that card in hand.
2 months ago
lonesentinel Thanks for the suggestions!
Whirlpool Warrior is awesome in the deck as he allow us to wheel twice for . Being able to use Geistblast 's copy ability from the graveyard is actually great due to all the wheel effects we are running, many which requires us to discard our hand. Both cards are able to get around Krark, the Thumbless 's coin flipping ability, and we need that at crucial times with the fear that the spell may be returned to our hand due to losing a coin flip.
Jeska's Will and Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip are good! I'll throw them in and see how they perform. Not sure if I've room for Mana Geyser and Reiterate though. I don't need the Buyback ability that much cause copying spell is more of an enabler rather than a core mechanic for the deck (Wheeling and Kydele's mana ability is).
Sakashima of a Thousand Faces is a popular partner with Krark, the Thumbless . I'm trying to explore quirky and unorthodox variants which led me to Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix . I initially ran Sakashima in my 99 but took him out as I feel he's a "win more" card.
I'm in two minds about Ignite Memories vs Grapeshot . The deck doesn't have infinite combos so I'm not sure if I'm able to generate sufficient storm counts in 1 turn to kill off all 3 opponents using Grapeshot , thus my preference for Ignite Memories instead. The is not an issue as Kydele can generate heaps of so I'm only worried about the .
Thrill of Possibility and Cathartic Reunion are good card draws for red but they both require discarding cards as additional cost. This can be detrimental to us if Krark is onboard and we fail the coin flip.
I've never considered Expedite but now that you mentioned, it looks interesting as a cantrip and can give Kydele haste when I summon her. The deck badly needs colored mana so I avoid having too many lands that procudes only in the deck.
2 months ago
Non-spell effects should be replaced with spell effects, as the latter trigger off krark. I'm referring to taking out cards like Whirlpool Warrior and Geistblast , swapping with Reforge the Soul and Twincast or Repeated Reverberation
Jeska's Will impulse draw will help you in your storm turns, and with Krark, you can even turn the impulse draw into real draw by returning the spell to hand!
On that note, you may consider Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip. I've made a storm deck with her and either side are valuable for storm turns, either because they provide mana or because of the card draw.
I saw Sakashima of a Thousand Faces in your sideboard. You should add it in. With Krark and Krark Thumb, you have a high chance to BOTH copy and return the spell to your hand, leading to insane logistical nightmares but a definite win.
As for wincons, I would remove Ignite Memories , at 5cc, it is tight on mana and for non-storm turns, its a dead card. I would rather Lightning Bolt infinitely copied or Grapeshot as these two also serve as spot removal in the early turns.
For Recursion, Bala Ged Recovery is a good MDFC that I'm always happy to have in my hand at any point of the game.
In terms of general gameplan, I think simple cantrips may be required to smooth out draws. I would lean onto the red ones like Faithless Looting for effciency and 2nd use, Thrill of Possibility for instant speed, Cathartic Reunion for 3x draw, especially if copied.
I've always tried to brew Kydele but there's the limitation of colorless mana as well as needing to give haste. Hall of the Bandit Lord and Expedite should help here, the latter also acting as a cantrip anyway.
3 months ago
As for protection someone said Avacyn already but there's also Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade so you can have Brisela, Voice of Nightmares . As well as Gaddock Teeg , Shalai, Voice of Plenty and Akroma's Memorial .
3 months ago
I feel like unless you are confident that you are going to maintain a hand of more than 7 then maybe consider swapping out Spellbook might be a good idea
Not sure how useful Patron of the Orochi will be especially being at such a high cmc
Reforge the Soul only triggers the miracle cost if it is the card you draw for turn so you would have to pay the full CMC if you drew into it from a wheel. Thus, could save a few bucks by swapping it out for a different wheel card.
Nadir Kraken might not pull that much weight since you're theoretically going to be creating a ton of snakes and drawing a bunch of cards. Plus I'm not sure if you'll end up wanting to spend the mana to add the +1 counter and make a tentacle
Bag of Holding $0.35 instead of losing all of your cards to wheels, you can actually get them back later lol
Second Harvest $1.29 2GG to double all your creature tokens... could be useful? could also just do with another wheel lol
Soul of New Phyrexia $4 Might be a lot of mana to run but if you have ashnod's alter out then you should have no issue sacking three tokens to give everything indestructible. Just one more board wipe protection
Rhythm of the Wild $3 can either give them haste or make them a lil bit bigger
Ogre Battledriver $0.6 buffs snakes upon ETB and gives them haste; if this is already out and you wheel...OOF
Horizon Chimera $0.25 padding your life total isn't a bad idea; granted you are likely going to be aggressive affff
Geier Reach Sanitarium $2.5 Might not be worth it but having a little something-something on a land is hard to deal with and could help in a pinch
Dragon Mage $0.25
Minds Aglow $2.5
Burning Inquiry $1 One red mana to get 9 snake bois and might get some good stuff out of someone else's hand
Game Plan $0.39 Heftier side of things at 6 CMC but everyone draws 7 instead of perhaps the same amount they discarded. Plus everyone refills their library so any graveyard shenanigans gets shut down and you don't risk milling yourself for a little bit longer
6 months ago
Hey man, I've got some suggestions:
Talisman of Creativity: Another ramp spell, and taps for colorless if you need it to.
Keep Watch: Absolutely ridiculous card, often draws you 5+ cards at least, and I once drew 24 cards. Brilliant.
Windfall: Draw ALL the cards.
Anyways, hope this helps, and as always, Happy Tapping!
8 months ago
Wheels do great here and some of them are budget friendly like Time Reversal, Molten Psyche, Jace's Archivist or Whirlpool Warrior. Also cards that generate mana for your snakes like Battle Hymn or Xenagos, the Reveler give a nice boost to your mana. They all work well in my Xyris deck, but I did go with wheels and a storm plan to win the turn after Xyris hits the field