Creature — Azra Warrior
Whenever your opponents are dealt combat damage, if any of that damage was dealt by a Warrior, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Mindblade Render Discussion
2 months ago
Raiders' Spoils might be fun.
8 months ago
MeanLizard I agree on exploring a treasure subtheme, but I don't know if this shell is built to make the most use of them. I WISH Curse of Opulence made treasure, then we'd be on to something. Here's the relevant treasure cards I've previously identified and why I haven't previously added them:
- Impulsive Pilferer : This is probably the closest for me. Perfectly fine to discard, but its four mana to get three 1/1s and we'll end the turn down one mana. No goblin or pirate synergies.
- Glimmervoid : Not enough artifacts in tow to make this consistently valuable. I have the same hesitation for Spire of Industry .
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Same issues as Feldon being too slow and being a target for removal once its online. If the package comes together in the next set or two, we'll have to re-visit Magda.
- Pirate's Pillage : Probably not efficient enough to be included, but maybe?
- Rapacious Dragon : Eh? The ETB aspect is nice for a heavier reanimation package, but this won't make a big enough impact on the game (I think).
- Revel in Riches : I think there COULD be a case for this to be included, but 5 CMC is too expensive for my taste that doesn't pretty much win on the spot. I also worry about over-investing in a subtheme - Bladewing is already convoluted (draw dragons > discard dragons > revive dragons), so straying away from that too much puts the deck at risk of being diluted / durdling.
I'm perfectly content to have Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge not be able to attack - when I can finally snag and add in Toxic Deluge and/or Fire Covenant , we'll be packing such a heavy removal package that Gadrak becomes that much more likely to fall into value.
I keep seeing Necromancy so I think I have to take the plunge and add it...
8 months ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
10 months ago
Seems like a fun deck. Though I feel the draw wincons are not that necessary. Probably best to primarily go for combat victories. Cards I suggest for this are Cathars' Crusade through making your warriors large quickly. Beastmaster Ascension is also a pretty good card to run. When going for infinite combat combo wins, use Derevi, Empyrial Tactician. The combat phase is split into parts and the last part is called the end of combat phase, where you still have priority to do stuff before your creatures are removed from combat. Basically you just use Derevi's ability to untap your lands after your warriors hit and then pay Najeela's ability and keep repeating till you win. I also think you need to be very careful when using Kindred Discovery. It can very easily make you lose if you try going infinite with it up, or otherwise make you hesitant to go infinite and prevent you from winning because of it. You instead use the other combat based draw spells like Reconnaissance Mission, Coastal Piracy, Bident of Thassa and Raiders' Spoils, which also is a combat booster. You shouldn't be running all of them as you have other means of drawing, but at least one or two is good Edric, Spymaster of Trest is also a good choice, though its prone to removal. I also recommend Blood-Chin Rager, Brutal Hordechief and Mindblade Render as they all are very useful for their abilities (menace to all your warriors, making your opponents lose life even quicker, and draw power, albeit a bit limited compared to others). Also, Rubblebelt Raiders is a really good growing warrior.
1 year ago
plakjekaas So, I actually wanted to do the math on this, assuming you were in a Sultai+ shell, running the following tutors and cantrips, by turn three how often would you get OA and SS in hand?
If mulliganning to 4 is an option, the set looks to be a 64% chance to get both halves by turn three. This is further helped by running other forms of card advantage or search, effects like Neoform, Personal Tutor, Mindblade Render, slightly helped by running two commanders, Sylvan Library, Mystic Remora, etc.
1 year ago
Hey, you're welcome.
There's 12 rogues here for the party, but only 5 clerics, 4 Warriors and 1 Wizard. These ratios of party members will make it difficult to have much mana cost reduction for Zagras especially Wizards. My advice is make these numbers more even to give you more chances to have different party members on the battlefield at once. Changeling Outcast is a budget one drop party member who can be any creature type you choose for party and it's unblockable which has good interaction with several tribal combat damage effects.
Budget Wizards to consider adding:
- Blood Cultist, Fireslinger: more pingers with deathtouch.
- Pain Seer, Magus of the Wheel, Grim Haruspex: draw.
There's some party members who could be upgraded to better budget creatures especially the Warriors:
- Goblin Chainwhirler > Carnage Gladiator
- Azra Oddsmaker > Brawl-Bash Ogre
- Mindblade Render > Rakdos Roustabout
- Oona's Blackguard > Blood Burglar
Blood Beckoning could be upgraded to Nullpriest of Oblivion who is a two drop Cleric or if you cast with kicker you can reanimate any creature in your graveyard. Beckoning doesn't reanimate it recurs the creature/creatures to your hand which is a big difference. Searing Barrage could be upgraded to any Wizard party member because this removal spell is not needed as it's the least good and costs the most mana for what it does.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Pyroclastic Hellion
- Lash of Thorns
- Inordinate Rage
- Barge In
- Avatar of Fury
- Nearheath Stalker
- Bloodsworn Steward
- Blazing Specter
- Gnat Alley Creeper
- Duskmantle Operative
- Crashing Drawbridge
- Ashenmoor Liege
Pump spells that only pump one creature one time such as Infuriate are subpar in Commander especially when you can only cast them once. If the spell pumped all creatures you control, protected the creature from removal or it made the creature have huge power with evasion then that's different, but the pump spells here don't do that. More draw is more impactful than pump.
1 year ago
Hey, Changeling Outcast, one drop party member who can be any type of party member you choose. Since it's unblockable that gives it good interaction with Robber of the Rich, Azra Oddsmaker, Mindblade Render, Quietus Spike and Scytheclaw.
1 year ago
You might like these: Mindblade Render, Goblin Wardriver, Alpine Houndmaster, Berserkers' Onslaught, Goblin Rabblemaster, Jazal Goldmane, Banewhip Punisher, Blood-Chin Fanatic, Brion Stoutarm, Fleshbag Marauder, Merciless Executioner, Goblin Cratermaker, Greven, Predator Captain, Stingscourger, Avenging Huntbonder, Honored Crop-Captain