Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Whenever Alesha, Who Smiles at Death attacks, you may pay . If you do, return target creature card with power 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped and attacking.
|Have (2)||CompleteWaste , metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Reconnaissance
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Maze of Ith
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Breath of Fury
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Breath of Fury + Rogue's Passage + Sword of Feast and Famine
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Breath of Fury + Sword of Feast and Famine + Whispersilk Cloak
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Key to the City
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Selfless Spirit
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Karmic Guide
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Master of Cruelties
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Blinding Angel
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death Discussion
2 weeks ago
For artifact recursion, Trash for Treasure is a useful one for cheating out big artifacts from the graveyard, and is a flavor win as you can literally trade your treasure tokens in for trash... err... your other artifacts XD Also, Goblin Welder is another classic one that can do the same thing. Trading Post is another flexible option, as I can see your deck being able to use most of the options. Though, I'll admit, I usually use these cards to cheat into play big artifact creatures that I've dumped into the graveyard, so you might want to consider this as a side option.
In terms of red artifact tutors, it's a little dicy, as most of the decent options use either blue or black. Inventors' Fair could work once you get all the needed artifacts on board. Some creature options also exist (if you're just looking to make a weird "illegal" fun deck.) Treasure Mage Trophy Mage Tribute Mage and Trinket Mage can fetch out needed artifacts, as well as having limited synergy with Alesha, Who Smiles at Death . Though looking at your current list, I don't see too many bomb cards that would be useful with recuring your artifacts. Maybe look into adding something like Solemn Simulacrum or Golos, Tireless Pilgrim ? In red you have things like Gamble , Hoarding Dragon and Goblin Engineer .
Hmmm... Sliver decks, while fun to pilot, either are dealt with early and fizzle out, or they end up overwhelming if you don't keep their creatures in check. If you're leaning more into the 5 color splashability casual deck, Rakdos Charm is a good catch-all card that deals with a lot of strategies. Even a well timed Blasphemous Act can slow them down. In your current build, I see you do run some interaction, but I think you'll find there are some more consistent better options out there!
2 weeks ago
Hail, fellow dwarf lover! Just a few suggestions!
The first one is that while the back of Lukka, Wayward Bonder is red, the whole card is considered to have the color identity of both sides, so white and red. Unfortunately that means that you won't be able to legally run the card in your mono red deck (though honestly it's up to your playgroup on how they want to follow that rule, as long as yall are on the same page!). The same thing goes for Alesha, Who Smiles at Death . That being said, both of those cards are good commanders in their own right, but can't be played in the deck legally :/
As for cards, she's quite a stout dwarf! Some of the interesting cards I've come across when playing against it are Springleaf Drum , any vehicles like Smuggler's Copter . Both can get a lot of value from tapping your commander. A weird but good card would be something like Honor-Worn Shaku . 3cmc mana rock that produces upwards of 3 mana means you can quickly hard cast some of your bigger permenants!
Also I wouldn't overlook some of the changelings! Things like Bloodline Pretender and Taurean Mauler can get pretty big! Changeling Berserker , if fetched from the deck using the commander's ability, is also a cheeky way of getting around a board wipe.
Kindred Charge could also be another wincon, as it either makes a TON of treasure with dwarves, or doubles down on dragon attacks.
And I'm not sure of your budget, but Embercleave can put in a lot of work too!
Hope these suggestions give you some ideas, and may your beard grow ever longer!
1 month ago
This deck looks fun. In your thread, you asked for alternative commanders: Since you only have 5 or 6 creatures with power 3 or greater, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death could be very useful. You wouldn't even have to change the deck and could include Iroas in the 99. For additional protection for your samurai, how about adding in Sunforger with Unbreakable Formation and similar spells? Konda, Lord of Eiganjo is another crazy powerful samurai.
1 month ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 month ago
Honestly, the best hatebear commander is Alesha, Who Smiles at Death .
You can build the deck to almost cEDH levels, if you want. Otherwise, you can build it fun-wise.
I prefer the latter.
2 months ago
first of all, an important point: decide what you want to play. Either a Samurai Tribal deck (A) or one that revolves around indestructible (B).
If you choose A, look for a Commander in Boros or maybe even in Mardu so you can play as many Samurai as possible and leave out the really bad ones. I play a 60 card singleton deck with Samurai myself. Mono white will probably not work. My choice as commander would be Alesha, Who Smiles at Death or Iroas, God of Victory but there are a lot of other options.
If you choose (B), I would remove most of the Samurai from the deck.
My samurai deck is no EDH deck but maybe you want to take a look at it for inspiration: Boros Samurai
Nethertheless, anyone playing samurai get's a +1 from me.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Cool deck, it reminds me a lot of some old Alesha, Who Smiles at Death decks I used to play a lot. You currently have 2 Priest of Forgotten Gods - so maybe you could replace one of them with the staple Blood Artist ? I don't know your budget but cards like Ashnod's Altar , Dictate of Erebos , and- since you do have access to white- either Athreos could be worth looking into. There are also some solid budget options like Suture Priest and Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim if you decide to splash in white