Champion of Rhonas
Creature — Jackal Warrior
You may exert Champion of Rhonas as it attacks. When you do, you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. (An exerted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , CompleteWaste|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Champion of Rhonas Discussion
7 months ago
I'll just go through the mainboard cards I would personally cut first. Ancient Ooze : very big but requires trample or the like to actually do anything at 7 mana. Copper Myr : almost objectively worse here than most green mana dorks. Ezuri's Archers : not impactful enough in the main without a devotion or elf theme. Ghoultree : your creatures are too big to be dying that often and you want them alive anyway. Lumberknot : similar story to Ghoultree. Spawnwrithe : needs to be built around. Wall of Tanglecord : wastes the benefits of any Overrun effects. Predator's Rapport : more of a sideboard card unless burn is really popular. Reclaim : very slow and lacking enough good targets. Serpent's Gift : redundant and inefficient if you just run enough deathtouch creatures. Tower Defense : are there really enough flyers going around to have this in the main? Windstorm : see above. Spider Spawning : if this is what you're running Transguild Promenade for, it's not worth it without more GY synergy. Accorder's Shield : vigilance isn't impactful enough with no exert, tap abilities, or much else to abuse it. Brawler's Plate : very costly for the buff. Golden Urn : much worse than even the Rapport. Staff of the Wild Magus : staffs aren't even strong enough to do well in dedicated lifegain decks, unfortunately.
I'd say all of your maybeboard picks are better than the aforementioned cards. I'll list some other alternatives that come to my mind though. Primordial Hydra and Kalonian Hydra are some budget-unfriendly but highly dangerous beaters that you can get out relatively early. Joraga Treespeaker (or maybe Elvish Archdruid ) would make your archers much better by letting them double as mana dorks. Otherwise, I like Arbor Elf with Utopia Sprawl type auras on your forests to help ramp. If you prefer the vigilance idea, Champion of Rhonas is a budget Elvish Piper that likes not tapping in combat. If you like walls, Overgrown Battlement and Axebane Guardian can get ridiculous mana going. They also benefit from Assault Formation which synergizes with Tower Defense. In terms of small creatures with reach, Traproot Kami is my clear pick for mono-green, especially in multiplayer. If you need to add trample, Rancor is excellent value. If you need recursion, Eternal Witness should be near the top of the list. If you're struggling with flyers, maybe try Gravity Well . If you need more life, Engulfing Slagwurm likes forced blocks while Verdant Sun's Avatar likes playing beefy guys.
Given what you have already, I think shifting to include more deathtouch creatures and Lure s would be the most optimal plan. Viridian Longbow and Thornbite Staff are some other equipment that benefit from that strategy. For the creatures, Ohran Frostfang is a casual-only option that's completely busted in commander, and I'm always a sucker for Wasteland Viper 's versatility at only 1 mana.
8 months ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 year ago
I'd cut Gruul Ragebeast as it isn't a may ability--so it can be a bit risky if, say, you play a Seedborn Muse or recast your Commander after you get it into play. I'd replace it with an Apex Altisaur, a pseudo-boardwipe on a massive body.
I'd also consider cutting Champion of Rhonas--all of your other <5 power creatures are POWERHOUSES, but the Champion is subject to being blocked out and only being able to be activated once. My suggestion is a Sneak Attack: it can allow for turns where you drop 3 beaters out of your hand in one turn, and kill someone so you don't care that they are sacrificed. Apropos of your creatures being sacrificed... do you want more recursion? Paleoloth would be your best bet for that, I think it's even better than the Greenwarden.
1 year ago
Turn 3 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn opening hand:
1 year ago
So I run a similar deck; Boar and Jackal it has a few differences, one of which is redundancy. My deck runs Champion of Rhonas as backup Ilharg, Vessel of Volatility as backup Generator Servant and Rhythm of the Wild as a backup haste granter/control hoser. You are all in on Ilharg and Generator, which is fine, but the Generator is really fragile.
1 year ago
I almost forgot one thing you could use to cheat out the Eldrazi, even though I'm rather positive it won't interest you.
There are cards that can instantly put creatures from your hand into play. I'll just list them instead of going one by one as they're almost the same thing, the only difference between each are their mana costs, colors and/or if they make you sacrifice the creature at the end of the turn.
1 year ago
Champion of Rhonas allows you to get the polyraptor out a lot earlier plus it can't be countered this way.
Then fling can interrupt your combo. by declaring that you use the combo say 1000 times before you fling, marauding raptor becomes a 2002/3 which then kills your opponent. Then even if that is stopped you have 1001 polyraptors in the way.