Creature — Cat Cleric
If an opponent would draw two or more cards, instead you and that player each draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Alms Collector Discussion
1 hour ago
Yea it is indeed an awesome alter... I should start altering some more cards in here
i have some here but haven't had time to do some for myself :
Ashes of the Abhorrent
Card links broken , anyone knows how to fix this, it has been like more than a month, pretty sad :s
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the comments on Arahbo, Xenagos... for Cats.
You've got all the reasonable CMC1 cats, Leonin Elder is a bit borderline for me. I see you have the fetch lands in the Sideboard, I assume the plan is to get those in, Steppe Lynx will thank you. I would get out some of those lands that enter the battlefield tapped. I only play a couple, Dryad Arbor so I can Green Sun's Zenith it, and Hall of the Bandit Lord.
Scavenging Ooze is good, non-cat obviously, but he's independently good anyway. May consider Ground Seal (see it in your maybeboard), it draws a card to replace itself so just costs you mana, and maybe draws an enchantment removal from opponents that might be saved for a Sylvan Library so they can continue with their deck strategy. Watchers of the Dead is also an on-cat-trend graveyard control card. He's 2 power for CMC2 so he doesn't hurt you either with the Eminence.
Fleecemane Lion is a nice tempo guy, hes 3 power for CMC2 and he has built-in Indestructible if you draw him late in the game, not too shabby... tabby
I really dislike Council's Judgment, it rarely removes what I really want, in Selesnya it's limited a bit for removal, I'd almost always rather have an Oblivion Ring so I get to choose, or a Path to Exile if I usually remove a creature / blocker.
Seeds of Innocence seems counter productive for an early turn 1 drop system, but I can see how eliminating all those CMC0/1/2 artifacts would be an advantage longer term. If you're looking to keep the board clear makes sense.
I would recommend Alms Collector, not sure how many Grixis commanders you fought, Kess, Dissident Mage, Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge with Show and Tell to Enter the Infinite combos, or even Izzet with Blue Sun's Zenith infinite draw, many EDH run mass draw, he shut's that down. Used him successfully many a time, I've even Chord of Calling him in response.
Enlightened Tutor is a nice way to pull Sylvan Library to keep tempo, and especially if your ramping into board wipes, help replace some cats into your hand. Maybe a Mirari's Wake instead of one of the more expensive ramp spells, to assist with the tokens and with the ramp?
I originally built the cats (using hypergeometric distribution formula), but I found, in Multi-Player commander, it wasn't enough so I abandoned that srtategy. Lately I've been thinking perhaps land destruction would be better paired with aggor-cats.
You already have Wasteland and Strip Mine, you could change one of your creature board removals into Cataclysm. Crucible of Worlds, Armageddon, Ravages of War, and maybe even Command Beacon would be needed however. With ramp, and the low CMC cats + Eminence I feel it's a viable aggro strategy. Maybe give it some thought, it's a shift, depends on how well it's performing for you.
I don't have a Gaea's Cradle so I don't run Crop Rotation, but I run Nature's Lore which I've been able to abuse a bit to ramp faster, and a little more expensive alternative Three Visits. I would also run Eladamri's Call, I know it doesn't go into play like the others, but its CMC2 for a bit more consistency.
Heirloom Blade could give you some survive ability through a board wipe, would also work with the various sac/draw like Greater Good to replace/draw a creature to replace the one lost. Scavenging Ooze would be your best friend.
3 weeks ago
is heliod good enough in your opinion to not be an Alms Collector ? also, no reason to not be running Blinkmoth Well to get occassional value out of winter orb. also you may not need it in your meta, but Sentinel Totem is additional gravehate and worth a mention in this type of deck. just two cents from a primarily red white player.
1 month ago
Card draw. White's main weakness is the lack of it. Try to squeeze in like 5+ more card draw. You have a few, like Mentor of the Meek and Skullclamp both are great. Skullclamp might not be that great for you though, low 1/1 token production, plus the fact your Commander makes those 1/1's into 3/3's... no more card draw.
Acrobatic Maneuver, flicker an awesome Angel for it's ETB effect plus Draw a card.
Alms Collector, stop a blue deck from drawing 10 cards, you draw.
Oblation, use it offensive or for the great use of saving a permanent you control from a board wipe and draw 2 cards.
Solemn Simulacrum, Ramp and card draw.
Conqueror's Galleon Flip, one of my favorites for Commander. Since you run enough creatures, you can easily flip it. Once flipped, it, it's late game potential is massive. Draw can't at the end-step of the player before you. Never have to leave mana unused. Plus the awesome ability for (6), start returning every card your opponents destroyed to your hand. Late game in Commander usually means you have like 12+ mana sitting around... make use of it.
1 month ago
This change was made because most of the combos I was trying to stop didn't care about the collector but do care about the tax.
silversuriv good points. I had honestly forgotten that Ivy Lane Denizen was a card. Illusionist's Bracers I just don't like, it costs more than I want to pay for that effect and doesn't benefit the deck outside a combo.
Oracle of Mul Daya is a strong consideration but I have been decreasing the land count slowly. The Crucible of Worlds plan is more important as I add the rest of my fetches and rely greatly on the mass land destruction plan as you said.
1 month ago
Have you considered playing Emeria Shepherd and Alms Collector
2 months ago
Firstly, I notice your SLUG is super-cats-2, does that mean there is a super-cats-1! If not you can reset your slug in the edit deck option.
I've had a lot of success with Alms Collector, primarily to shutdown Grixis () or Izzet () or mono- Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite combos. It's great against lots of other things like Blue Sun's Zenith and almost every draw in . Highly recommend him.
Tempt with Discovery seems dangerous. CMC4 for 1 land isn't a good conversion ratio. Cultivate or Kodama's Reach are CMC3 for 2. Let's say an opponent needs to ramp as well, a bad case would be a Maze of Ith making your Eminence useless, or they get closer to their combo. If it ramps you 3 additional lands, is the only positive outcome. A little too dangerous for my taste, and my guess, will probably only net you 1 land for way too much. Rhonas the Indomitable would like that extra mana, and if you have ANY cat + eminence, you get a 5/5 Indestructible, Deathtouch attacker who can + and trample a cat for CMC3.
With all your equipment, begging for a Lost Leonin to give you a finishing attack with equipment or you +1's.
Stonehewer Giant seems made for this deck with all those equipments.
Don't really like Hungry Lynx, I thought I would, but loaded opponents up with 1/1 blockers isn't that great. They aren't going to attack the rats into protection cats just to + your creatures, and they can't block cats with them, and once Hungry Lynx is gone, now what do you do, all your non-first strike cats are in trouble!
With only 25 creatures, and not a token-centric build I found Metallic Mimic to slow, and not that powerful. The extra +1 here and there rarely made an impact, even with guys like Pride Sovereign, Regal Caracal though is awesome with.
Path to Exile also good.
2 months ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.