Herald of Secret Streams
Creature — Merfolk Warrior
Creatures with +1/+1 counters on them can't be blocked.
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Herald of Secret Streams occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Herald of Secret Streams Discussion
3 weeks ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
5 months ago
you need more interactions. and draw. Beast Whisperer, Phyrexian Rebirth, Smothering Tithe, Rhystic Study, Simic Ascendancy, Phyrexian Arena, Empowered Autogenerator, Cleansing Nova, Krosan Grip, Evolution Sage, Forgotten Ancient, Kodama's Reach, and Farseek, Herald of Secret Streams, and Fathom Mage need to go in. maybe Rampant Growth. maybe Pyramid of the Pantheon or Chromatic Orrery this speeds and mana fixes you. draws you cards, helps speed the game up for you. gives you some artifact and enchantment destruction. because you will need it. add in Peregrine Drake and Temur Sabertooth for infinite colored mana? take out Tezzeret's Gambit, Chord of Calling, Howl from Beyond.
5 months ago
Can you give some insight on how these following cards perform in practice:
Seems to only be useful when you attack a player that's not on the throne.
Also only applies the counter after damage has been dealt, so the attacking creatures would have to survive the combat damage phase.
It seems awkward to not deal enough damage to take your opponents out of the game while simultaineously putting yourself on the throne. Would be interesting to know how this performs on its own and in comparison to Kokusho, the Evening Star.
This card looks like it is made for this deck, but the restricion to only be able to move the counters at the beginning of combat on our turn seems problematic.
Is this a "win-more" card or a crucial piece to win the game? I played it for a while and was never too impressed - maybe the strength of this card depends a lot on what kind of decks you are facing in your playgroup.
To figure out whether this card can find a spot in my deck I checked the decks I face in my playgroup and found surprisingly little single target spells/abilities where this card would be useful.
It's a strong card but seems clunky to resolve when you have 3-4 opponents with something like 14 creatures and 23 tokens. Do you use an app that can roll an x-sided die where x=number of creatures in play?
How much of a drawback is the sorcery speed in practice? I find it immensely useful to be able to sac at instant speed.
How often do you activate this - is it really better than Reanimate?
I'd also like some feedback on cards that have performed really well for me, but did not make your list:
It's usually a bordwipe for - I regularly tutor for this card.
The unexpected removal of a key creature can really mess up your opponents turn / combo. It has been really solid for me and has been really annoying to play against.
I feel super save playing Marchesa, the Black Rose without any ability to put counters on her when I have this card in hand.
Even just your opponents knowing that you have this card in your decks gives you some savety because they try to play around it even when it's not in your hand.
The worm seems like a dull beater that needs a setup to perform, but this card never lets me down.
Give your creatures haste via cards like Urabrask the Hidden and your opponenty will quickly be facing an army of sea-creatures.
(For reference you can check out my list here: Marchesa, the Black Rose)
Judging form the comment section of other Marchesa lists on this site you seem to put a lot of thought and effort into this deck so I am looking forward on your feedback on this topic.
Have a nice day :)
5 months ago
5 months ago
Thanks Bassduff! Those infinite mana pieces are core IMO, but I completely get why your group frowns on it. There's been a lot of combo talk recently in my playgroup too and having a 2 card infinite mana combo with one of the pieces sitting in the command zone is pretty potent to say the least.
I like those 3 cards you've mentioned. Leyline of Anticipation is just a great card in blue no matter what you're trying to do - it also pairs really well with Wilderness Reclamation, good call there. Manascape Refractor is interesting! Lots of additional ability that you could take advantage of for big mana. You asked me to suggest 3 other potential replacement cards so I'll give that a shot:
Nothing revolutionary, but there's a few ideas for you to think about.
6 months ago
Chulane is an insanely strong commander, and there are certainly ways to build this deck to be more competitive even on a budget. That being said it seems to me you would like a fun and casual +1/+1 themed deck that tries to win with Simic Ascendancy. Personally I think that sounds like a lot of fun and you should definitely build around it.
The first place I would start with the deck is using Tomer's suggestions from MTGGoldfish for building Commander decks. The bullet points are copied from one of his articles. Tomer explains these bullet points to be more like guidelines rather than strict rules you have to follow. Then the rest of the deck is filled with whatever you want to add.
- 50 mana; lands and ramp, usually a 37–13 split
- 10 sources of "card advantage;" I use this term loosely but am mostly looking for card draw or any spell that nets me 2+ non-land cards in hand / directly into play
- 6 targeted removal; split between creature / artifact / enchantment removal
- 3 board wipes; creature-light decks might want one more, creature-heavy decks might want one less
- 2 recursion
- 2 flexible tutors
- 1 graveyard hate; to shut down powerful graveyard recursion that everyone runs
- 1 surprise "I Win" card; something that can win games the turn you cast it without too much setup
So maybe more what you may have been looking for in your original question is what cards to add? Cards like Whitemane Lion, Shrieking Drake, Beast Whisperer, Primordial Sage, and cheap mana dork creatures work well with what Chulane wants to do. But as far as Simic Ascendancy and +1/+1 counters, some cards I'd consider are Managorger Hydra, Loyal Guardian, Forgotten Ancient, Herald of Secret Streams, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Inspiring Call.
https://edhrec.com/themes/p1-p1-counters is also a good resource. For the deck you're building I'd look at other commander decks that care about +1/+1 counters and proliferate like Ezuri, Claw of Progress and Ghave, Guru of Spores
I think Simic Ascendancy with Chulane is a really cool idea. Have fun deckbuilding!
6 months ago
Elemental Bond for additional draw engine.
Herald of Secret Streams can help enable your victory by making your X/X creatures unblockable.
7 months ago
Wow! You put some work into those suggestions!! Excellent! Here are the nonland cards that leapt off of the screen and right into my heart...and then the deck list:
Two other spells will be included, as suggested by MTG Burgeoning YouTube subscriber Me Geal:
I prefer Garruk's Uprising over Nylea, God of the Hunt. Both spells provide trample to our creatures, but Garruk's Uprising is more favorable due to its card-draw ability. Nearly all of our creatures will have power four or greater, and as a bonus, Garruk's Uprising is triggered by creature tokens as well. Each time Zaxara, the Exemplary creates a hydra creature token with power four or greater, we will draw a card if Garruk's Uprising is under our control. Drawing cards is more beneficial to us than Nylea, God of the Hunt's ability to give target creature +2 +2 until end of turn.
So this brings our total to 13 cards. Let's continue:
Sacrificing a creature as an additional cost to cast Diabolic Intent should not be a burden in our deck, and we can put the card directly into our hand as opposed to on top of our library. Additionally, we can seek out any card in our library and not just a creature card and keep it a secret from our opponents by not being forced to reveal it. Diabolic Intent is, for all intents and purposes, Demonic Tutor #2.
By doing so, we dodge artifact removal, mass permanent removal and an overloaded Cyclonic Rift. The spells have equal converted mana cost and yield the same total amount of mana (if we include the land needed to activate Simic Signet to the basic land fetched-out by Rampant Growth).
The volume of cards and synergy among our +1 +1 counter spells are already strong in our deck. I sense that our ramp needs strengthening and with few deck slots remaining, necessity may outweigh desire. Thought Vessel helps us ramp and gives us no maximum hand size. We should be drawing a lot of cards, and we prefer keeping them in our hand over discarding down to seven.
I am unsure about Seedborn Muse. Currently we have eight instant spells officially in our deck list (including Cyclonic Rift and Assassin's Trophy) and without a flash theme and/or enabler, I wonder if the card slot dedicated to Seedborn Muse can be filled with a card more dedicated and/or focused to our theme. Bloom Tender ramps us and can help us cast bigger spells and seems like it's a better fit to the concentration of our deck.
I am stubborn when it comes to auras. The threat of a 2-for-1 looms large whenever an aura is cast. Additionally, with respect to Hydra's Growth, we don't reap the major benefits of this spell until the beginning of our upkeep. This allows each opponent an opportunity to remove it with instant-speed and sorcery-speed spells before we can double the +1 +1 counters on our creature. For the sake of comparison, when we cast Pemmin's Aura targeting Zaxara, the Exemplary, the threat of a 2-for-1 exists at instant-speed only. If left unchecked, the payoff is enormous and most likely game-winning. I don't sense the same level of power from Hydra's Growth. Strionic Resonator interacts favorably with multiple spells in our deck and presents greater versatility than Hydra's Growth. As Hydra's Growth enchants one creature, Strionic Resonator synergizes powerfully with numerous cards in our deck.
Open Into Wonder is in our deck already and provides our creatures unblockability (owning it!) for a turn, and Herald of Secret Streams makes creatures we control with +1 +1 counters on them unblockable. This type of redundancy is favorable. However, if this is the last creature we're planning to add to our deck, I think perhaps we go in a different direction and add a previously suggested creature, like Kalonian Hydra. How about exchanging one potential win condition for another?
I do not have available copies of Nyxbloom Ancient or Mana Crypt. When copies become available they will be added to our deck. We'll find a way to make it work! These are powerful spells and would serve us well.
So that's 19 spells added to our deck list! Awesome!! There are, at most, five more spells we can include.
As for our lands, after we solidify and complete our list of spells, we'll check back and construct the land base.
Great suggestions! Thank you again and keep 'em comin;!!