|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Planeswalker — Narset
+1: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a noncreature, nonland card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.
-2: When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, it gains rebound.
-9: You get an emblem with "Your opponents can't cast noncreature spells."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||ibraJG84 , ironax , Justinaut , gildan_bladeborn , HydraOoze , NOGzFTW , TrackerD , dexxter7 , Nemesis , ShishkyBob , mentor6 , MrCrazzyc , TehDelta , jhTheMan99 , tlhunter07|
|Want (6)||Sasuin , , MouseyWolf , KB2187 , Dadaman11 , MindAblaze|
Narset Transcendent Discussion
2 weeks ago
Tamiyo, Field Researcher can be incredibly powerful especially if you can emblem it and play some extra turn spells whilst also having Narset Transcendent out. I think with her you either go prison or CoCo to protect her and start dropping big things and turn spells for free every turn.
2 weeks ago
That's probably because you are currently not focused on one main strategy. Having a look at your deck, I think you have a lot of stuff that doesn't do much and is just there to fill slots. Especially among the instants/sorceries you have a lot of very situational cards that are completely useless until a very specific situation comes up.
Of course it depends on how much you want to spend on the deck and which cards you already have lying around at home now. The planeswalkers should be ones that can potentially end the game and have useful + abilities to get you there, for example Narset Transcendent, Tezzeret the Seeker , Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Jace, Unraveler of Secrets...a planeswalker with Gilder Bairn should be a win option and not just a gimmick.
Some more of the good mana arttifacts would be great too. You should be able to get the three legal moxes and lotus petal for around 100$ and mana crypt and vault for under 50...voltaic key of course, but that costs nothing. If you are willing to invest a bit in the mana base, you can expect better results even with the current build. You have to consider that these cards won't lose their value and you can stuff them in every EDH deck you want to build.
3 weeks ago
Okay so I have spent the last few hours testing, and making notes about, the deck against some of my own decks and a couple staples of the format a kind of gauntlet for lack of a better term. Here is how it fared (please realize that most of these decks are fast and set in stone they are not work in progress builds):
vs. Mono-White Tokens 0-2
- The deck was simply too fast for the dragons to keep up, game one the opposing deck was able to get 6 human tokens out turn 5 and win with a massive swing from a Thalia's Lieutenant; game two the token deck had two Champion of the Parish in the opener.
vs. Mono-White Death & Taxes 1-2
- (Preface: this is the archetype and deck I play the most so my experience with the deck had a factor). Game one kept a risky hand with Death & Taxes and lost to quick ramp from your deck. Game two and three I played more conservatively behind my Aether Vial's and fell into my rhythm winning both games relatively easily behind vial and Flickerwisp. Goblin Guide did very well game one and two.
vs. Simic Infect 0-2
- Again a matter of speed, game one your deck got mana screwed and infect got out multiple Noble Hierarch's; game two the infect deck was able to swing for 16 infect turn 3 which is near unbeatable when you didn't have Fatal Push mana.
vs. Affinity 0-2
- Game one affinity was able to dump it's hand turn one and an Arcbound Ravager turn two, conceded on the spot as turn three faced certain death; game two went well until affinity played Etched Champion and Cranial Plating turn 6, had no answer (there isn't a good answer to this).
vs. 4-Color Aikido 0-2
- (Preface: I play this deck a lot, it's one of my private decks). Both games got stuck behind massive life gain and drain from the aikido deck, slow loses typical when facing this deck as both games went well past turn 20. Didn't draw a board wipe and opposing deck sides in Selfless Spirit.
vs. Mono-White Blink 2-1
- Game one blink deck was mana-screwed; game two lost to Ghost Quarter + Sun Titan lock before being milled out with Thought-Knot Seer; Game three was able to out pace the blink deck and remove vital pieces before they became a problem, Scourge of Valkas was an allstar.
vs. Oath of Nissa Bant Superfriends 0-2
- (Preface: this is another one of my private decks that I have a ton of experience playing and building.) Game one lost to an Elspeth, Sun's Champion emblem with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar already having made ample tokens as well. Game two lost to Ajani Vengeant tapping down Elvish Piper and subsequent Narset Transcendent emblem and Thragtusk with Noble Hierarch triggers.
vs. Eldrazi Tron 1-2
- Game one opposing deck had natural tron, lost to Ugin, the Spirit Dragon followed by Reality Smasher. Game two opposing deck failed to assemble tron quick enough, won behind Goblin Guide and ramp leading to Utvara Hellkite and Savage Ventmaw. Game three lost to assembled tron backed with Thought-Knot Seer's and Walking Ballista.
vs. Grixis Death's Shadow 0-2
- Versus the best deck in the format game one was never close, the shadow deck had 15 life after turn one and a shadow in hand, Gurmag Angler was dropped turn two and was unable to recover. Game two I should have won, was able to remove a Death's Shadow and was a turn from winning off of Thunderbreak Regent when I lost to a Snapcaster Mage + Lightning Bolt + Revolt triggered Fatal Push leaving me with only a Birds of Paradise, the shadow deck then drew two Sahdow's in a row and won off beats.
Though it may not look that way the deck did better than I thought it would considering it is just being built now and unlike the decks it faced hasn't been finalized. Overall record was 1-8; 4-17 in games. It hung on with the better decks in the format and beat a combo deck that once it gets going is near impossible to stop. I would say the gauntlet was a success as it highlighted the needs of the deck and showcased what went right. Follow up comment will have my suggestions.
3 weeks ago
I like the Voltron-esque theme of the deck with the many cheap pump spells. The one issue I can see you having is your commander getting hated out with only a few ways to protect him. As such, I would recommend Champion's Helm, and protection cards like Floating Shield or Emerge Unscathed (there's a lot more protection spells to choose from too).
Also, it might be useful to throw in some other cards that work well with instants and sorceries like Bloodwater Entity, Niblis of Frost, Stormchaser Mage, and of course Narset, Enlightened Master. Also, if you have a little money to splurge with, I'd definitely recommend Narset Transcendent if you like Planeswalkers and Rebound.
Oh, and maybe cards like World at War could find a place in your deck for the potential to activate Rogue's Passage or Slip Through Space, play a bunch of pump, and have it all carry over to a second damage step, causing you to have a 1 turn lethal with commander damage.
Regardless, you have inspired me to try and make my own Jeskai deck, potentially with Shu Yun and Narset as interchangeable commanders. Definitely earned an upvote from me!
3 weeks ago
+1 from the EDH Show your Deck.
Try Curse of the Swine instead of Polymorphist's Jest; it removes creatures permanently. I would keep in Narset Transcendent as it's just a really good Planeswalker. Same with Mistmeadow Witch; the blinking can be hugely advantageous.
3 weeks ago
Ah I see, that's legit, your deck is very controlling. I have a smattering of other suggestions for your theme then.
Grasp of Fate is a superb spot removal enchantment card, it's also politically charged- a lot of games opponents won't touch it cause it will hurt them to give their other opponents their stuff back too. Detention Sphere is a decent second choice if grasp of fate isn't available.
Here's two blue removal spells I'm a big fan of - Curse of the Swine and Reality Shift. Curse exiles as many creatures on the board as you need, giving back a chump token you could care less about. Very controlling. Reality Shift is an underrated card - a hard exile for just 2, and manifest is a funny mechanic to throw at an edh player. If you run into a creature heavy deck it's a gamble, otherwise Reality Shift could end up being a 2-for-1, denying them a land, spell, or non-creature permanent. It's won me the game more than once I can tell you.
You run a lot of instants and sorceries, and few creatures. Narset Transcendent seems like she would be a slam dunk for this deck. Rebound would be a powerful ability to throw an quite a few of your spells, and you should see card draw more often than not from her +1.
I find my DL OJ deck changes fairly frequently. I tweak a few cards once a week or so, synergy is a tricky thing to try and build in an Ojutai deck, as I'm sure you know. Keeps the deck interesting though right? Haha.
1 month ago
I appreciate the suggestions! Thank you alot. I agree with the mana curve suggestions, i should perhaps consider cards like Path to Exile as mentioned.
I like the planeswalkers for a few reasons. Their main purpose in this deck is to provide a bit of a meat shield for a turn or two or how ever long i can keep them alive. Alot of times when i am playing my friends they freak out when they see a planeswalker enter the battlefield especially one like Venser, the Sojourner with a scary ultimate emblem, and they usually want to focus them as soon as they can. So I through them out when the time is right for a bit of a distraction for a couple of turns. And Venser and Narset Transcendent just seem to be perfect matches for the deck, Venser especially so. BUT I could see the benefit in removing them. Not sure i will though, they are just so cool.
I also was unaware that counterspell was illegal, good thing it was only on the sideboard. I actually dont have a side board for this deck in real life, i just kind of consider a side board and a maybe board the same way. But i really like the idea of Render Silent. It would likely be the best option in my opinion.
Also i will consider your suggestions on Venser, Shaper Savant and Ghostly Flicker.
Thanks again sir!
1 month ago
All are NM. Ajani Vengeant is foil.
These are more or less in the order I want them most.
Message me with offers!