|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning (DDN)||Common|
|From the Vault: Twenty (V13)||Mythic Rare|
|Beatdown Box Set (BTD)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
Look at the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
2 days ago
Hey, nice budget deck, less than $100, well done.
Budget upgrades ($2 or less each, most are less than $1) to consider:
- Command Tower > Temple of the False God
- Port Town > Evolving Wilds
- Irrigated Farmland > Azorius Guildgate
- Etherium Sculptor > Opaline Unicorn
- Padeem, Consul of Innovation > Howling Golem
- Sai, Master Thopterist > Aerial Engineer
- Steel Hellkite > Colossus of Akros
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator > Daring Archaeologist
- Weatherlight > Ojutai Monument
- Meteor Golem > Pardic Wanderer
- Myr Battlesphere > Metalwork Colossus
- The Antiquities War > Always Watching
- Artificer's Assistant > Loyal Sentry
- Urza's Ruinous Blast > Mass Manipulation
- Azorius Signet > Azorius Locket
- Mind Stone > Worn Powerstone
- Counterspell > Thought Collapse
- Arcane Denial > Admiral's Order
- Dissipate > Absorb
- Negate > Scatter to the Winds
- Brainstorm > Chronomaton
- Impulse > Repel the Abominable
- Swords to Plowshares > Choking Restraints
- Dispatch > Pacifism
- Crush Contraband > Invoke the Divine
- Deep Freeze > Dampening Pulse
- Remember the Fallen > Not Forgotten
Can add all these cards for about $20. I offer more help if you would like.
Good luck with your deck.
5 days ago
Hey, nice start for a budget upgrade of the precon.
With Jeleva you don't have to go completely over the top with all splashy high mana cost spells, some is good. You can benefit from Jeleva by simply getting card advantage when she attacks from a low mana cost spell you exiled with her especially a draw spell such as Brainstorm or a tutor such as Gamble .
Budget cards ($5 or less each) to consider adding:
- Exotic Orchard
- Reliquary Tower
- Shivan Reef
- Sunken Hollow
- Darkwater Catacombs
- Smoldering Marsh
- Izzet Signet
- Dimir Signet
- Rakdos Signet
- Fellwar Stone
- Mystical Tutor
- Blatant Thievery
- Stolen Identity
- Mind's Desire
- Mystic Remora
- Merchant Scroll
- Dark Petition
- Dig Through Time
- Treasure Cruise
- Chaos Warp
Lots of creatures goes against Jeleva's ability. If you have a lot of creatures then it makes it more difficult for you to hit an instant/sorcery to exile. You want to benefit from Jeleva's ETB ability too, not just exile your opponents spells.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Dimir Guildgate
- Izzet Guildgate
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Temple of the False God
- Vivid Creek
- Vivid Marsh
- Baleful Strix
- Dimir Doppelganger
- Djinn Illuminatus
- Fog Bank
- Nekusar, the Mindrazer
- Tsabo Tavoc
- Uyo, Silent Prophet
- Vampire Nighthawk
- Hypersonic Dragon
- Fissure Vent
- Liturgy of Blood
- Molten Disaster
- Tempt with Reflections
- Price of Fame
- Spiteful Visions
- Illusionist's Gambit
If you like these suggestions then I offer more help. Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Just make sure if you use a Impulse effect you set the pile up like:
Frantic Search, Gitaxian Probe, Reanimate, Whisper, Lab Man, so you can take the search, bottom the Whisper, Reanimate, and Probe, then cast Search and win
2 weeks ago
scotchtapedsleeve: Nah, honestly Impulse is one of the strongest cards here. Not only can it be stuck on an Isochron Scepter , it also costs much less mana than Fact or Fiction , and can be cast with the mana otherwise held up for a counterspell. Thanks for the thoughts tho! I agree that FoF can be better in a GY-focused deck.
xander11: Why do you feel it’s qeak out of curiosity? It’s been a life saver as instant-speed removal for dangerous artifacts (such as opposing Paradox Engine s) and dangerous creatures (such as Spirit of the Labyrinth ). It also can be reused on Isochron Scepter .
2 weeks ago
All in favor of Veteran Explorer getting a reprint slot raise their hands!
No? Just me? Pernicious Deed maybe?
The thing that has me curious the most about this set is, what non legacy, vintage, commander sleeper card exists that they are going to reprint to shake things up? There has to be one card no one has thought of the design team has been laughing to themselves about since day one. Impulse , Exploration , Dack Fayden , Nimble Mongoose all could be pretty sweet.
3 weeks ago
Coming from Advertise your COMMANDER deck, I'd personally take out Impulse , I don't have much experience with CEDH but Impulse and Fact or Fiction have very similar effects. It might just be the graveyard-manipulating side of me but I'd definitely prefer drawing Fact or Fiction over Impulse .
1 month ago
Yo austintayshus, I love the jankiness of this idea. Out of the commander you listed I would actually think Thraximundar might be your best bet. There is definitely enough cards in the pool for one word cards that also can be useful. Grixis colors also give you plenty of options to work around with his ability. You have cards like Reanimate , Victimize , Necromancy for the recursion tech. Plaguecrafter , Vendetta , Damnation , Dismember for the removal tech. Card draw isn't that bad as you have cards like Ponder , Preordain , Brainstorm , Impulse , Windfall .
Going from there you also have strong protection package like Delay , Counterspell , Pyroblast , Flusterstorm , Dispel . Yeah the more I think about it Grixis is a pretty strong color for what your going for in addition to being pretty friendly on the budget as well.
Hope that helps!
1 month ago
Hey, you're welcome. Wow, you drew 56 cards, that's great. What decks are your opponents playing in your playgroup? Nice Consecrated Sphinx :)
Cards to consider cutting for more upgrades:
- Spellbook: I see Vessel and Tower, you don't really need another card for no maximum hand size effect.
- Favorable Winds: +1/+1 for all Drakes is not really needed, not enough to warrant including a card.
- Voyage's End
- Stymied Hopes
- Glimpse the Future
- Taigam's Scheming
Glimpse, Index and Scheming is the right idea of the kind of effect you want, but there's low budget better instant cards that do a similar effect while also letting you put a card into your hand. The main problem with Index and Scheming is they don't give you a card after you cast them. Yes, you get organize the top cards of your library to help your next draws, but this effect for one time is not worth a card if you aren't getting a card in return.
Budget cards ($1 or less each) to consider adding, some of these are already in the maybeboard:
- Brainstorm : powerful instant one mana draw three spell. It's a staple in Commander blue decks.
- Counterspell : original counterspell, where all other counterspells get their name from. It's a staple in Commander blue decks.
- Arcane Denial : another two mana counterspell that can counter any spell and you get to draw a card at the next upkeep. It's a staple in Commander blue decks.
- Telling Time
- Frantic Search : very good card with Tide.
- Snap : does the same thing as Voyage's End, but it's also good with Tide.
- Everflowing Chalice : can be another two drop mana rock or with Tide you can put a ton of mana into it when you cast it.
Impulse, Anticipate and Time are different than Index and Scheming because they don't let you organize the top cards of your library instead you look at the top three or four cards of your library choose one of those cards put it into your hand and then put the rest on the bottom of your library. This effect at instant speed is good with counterspells. Cast one of these cards and find a counterspell and do all this at instant speed during your opponent's turn.
In my opinion if you want to increase the efficiency of your deck then you want the one mana draw spells which also let you organize the top of your library: Brainstorm , Ponder , Preordain , Serum Visions , Opt . These are all staple blue cards in Commander. One mana efficient spells that make a Drake while also helping to find other instants and sorceries are good with Talrand. These cards can be turn one play to potentially find a mana rock and play it turn two or three. Getting a rock onto the battlefield in the early game is good, especially turn two because it can potentially help to play Talrand turn three. This is a big reason to make two drop or less mana rocks a priority over all others.
Impulse occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%
U/B/R (Grixis): 0.47%