|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Merfolk
When Whirlpool Rider enters the battlefield, shuffle the cards from your hand into your library, then draw that many cards.
Whirlpool Rider Discussion
2 months ago
Actually, Forgotten Creation might be one of the better self-wheels. I'd cut Molten Psyche , Whirlpool Rider , and Fateful Showdown . Maybe one more--you have a ton of wheel effects that don't redraw up to seven cards and things like Arjun, Mind Moil, and Teferi's Gigglebox are the stand-outs. You still want some though.
Burn at the Stake is great but a little bit win-more so it's a potential cut. Lower on the cut list, to be sure.
3 months ago
The instants look good and the sorceries are thematic.
3 suggestions. You have access to black with kess, and the best wheel colors. Wheel of Fortune is a lot, but include a Notion Thief with Windfall &/or Echo of Eons . Windfalling twice with notion thief can draw your whole deck.
Last thing is that you have Laboratory Maniac in this list, but I'm not seeing any way to win with it here. Play Demonic Consultation Name Labman, play the lab man, then immediately cast Demonic Consultation again with Kess from your graveyard naming forest. That's a 2 card, 5 cmc win
4 months ago
So Gaea's Blessing does the exact same thing as Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in the shuffle hulk piles except that it costs 2, not 10, so you can run Ad Nauseam and not just kill yourself. But if you're not running Ad Naus, both is good redundancy. But yeah, Gaea's Blessing forms the combo.
So just for clarity's sake (And I'm sure you know all of this) but the line for the deck is:
There's also a line you can get which is:
I have also seen people talk about including Cloud of Faeries in the deck in case you have any of the combo pieces in hand. Somebody was also talking about using Whirlpool Rider (instead of Grand Abolisher ) in the previous line to just reshuffle the pieces in.
As for Shrodinger's Cat - the line is:
Get Leonin Relic-Warder in the graveyard with Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat in play and then either Animate Dead or Necromancy the cat. with the ETB trigger, off Warder, you can then exile the enchantment, sending kitty to the graveyard, which triggers the LTB ability which returns the enchantment to play, targetting kitty... I think you get the rest.
The nice thing about this package is that Necromancy is in the deck already, Animate Dead is an easy include and so you're really just adding Leonin Relic-Warder (which is still enchantment removal, especially with stacking triggers from something like Viscera Seer ). So for one extra card you have a backup combo which overlaps with the other cards.
5 months ago
My wife's deck is a locust god deck. Need to update the tapped out deck but a couple cheap cards that are crazy good are Whirlpool Rider and Whirlpool Warrior . They are such a cheap way to go through your deck. The bigger your hand when you start the better they are.
7 months ago
Now that I have time
Filigree Familiar Seems off plan. I don't think it does what you think.
Same with Wirewood Savage
Cantrip/Tutor Creatures not in the deck
I particularly Recommend Recruiter since it is an instant win with aluren if you run like 1 more piece.
8 months ago
Hey, nice start, but The Locust God is fueled by mass draw spells and I don't see very many here.
Archivist is good and his ability is called a wheel. You'll hear this term a lot in Commander and what it means is all players or just you shuffle some number of cards from hands and/or graveyard into library and then draw cards. This effect is very good with Locust because he triggers for each single draw therefore if you draw seven cards you make seven 1/1 Insects. Drawing seven of more cards from casting one card is very good.
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Shivan Reef
- Desolate Lighthouse
- Windfall : wheel for all players.
- Whirlpool Warrior : two wheels, one for you and one for all players.
- Skullclamp : with Locust depending on how much mana you have is a lot of draw and 1/1 Insects. By equipping a 1/1 Insect this kill it, but as a result you draw two cards and make two more Insects.
- Pull from Tomorrow
- Blue Sun's Zenith : reusable mass draw.
- Brainstorm : draw three for one mana.
- Magus of the Wheel : wheel for all players.
- Whirlpool Rider : wheel for you.
- Bident of Thassa : draw cards when 1/1 Insects hit an opponent which makes more insects.
- Coastal Piracy : same as Bident.
- Mystic Remora : one of the best sources of repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Library of Leng : another effect of no maximum hand size. You already have Tower that does this, but some redundancy is helpful for this effect since it's pretty important to have when drawing a lot of cards.
- Psychosis Crawler : make your opponents lose life when you draw cards and it can get very big.
- Impact Tremors : whenever a 1/1 Insect token is created this does 1 damage to each opponent.
- Expedition Map : tutor for Reliquary Tower.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Flame Fusillade
- Renegade Tactics
- Slip Through Space
- Warlord's Fury
- Dual Casting
- Jalira, Master Polymorphist
- Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer
- Rummaging Goblin
- Epic Experiment
- Mechanized Production
Good luck with your deck.
Whirlpool Rider occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%