|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Would Enchanted Evening cause lands to count as nonlands?
- Does Day's Undoing trigger Sphinx's Tutelage
- If I have multiple cards that increase the amount of cards I draw, do they all trigger at the same time?
- How Many Times Can Sphinx's Tutelage Trigger Off a Single Draw?
- Will Shifting Sky affect Sphinx's Tutelage?
Whenever you draw a card, target opponent puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. If they are both nonland cards that share a color, repeat this process.
: Draw a card, then discard a card.
Sphinx's Tutelage Discussion
1 week ago
- Ok so for starters your SB (sideboard) is for games after the 1st game, you want cards that help you solve problems in the match up you are against. For example Crypt Incursion is good against decks that want creatures in their graveyard.
- Shelldock Isle is an amazing card
- Fatal Push push is great when you have cards like Arid Mesa . Its one mana kill a dude. In more causel games it doesn't solve with big dudes. Murder is a card I use a lot in casual play just due to the fact it kills anything. Doom Blade is also good, as well as Hero's Downfall . - Visions of Beyond is a 4 of in every competitive mill deck. However, those decks are a lot faster. 1 mana draw a card is like a worse version of blue. If you have issues getting that card's up side cut it for opt.
- Ashiok, Dream Render helps you mill faster so i might consider putting 2 in the main deck.
- Unmoored Ego its a nice card, My only probelm with it is you want them to just deck themselves. Thats 3 mana 4 cards at best. Its not very effective. Mind Funeral mills more, plus its 4 less lands so they wont be able to get land drops as easily which makes casting spells harder.
- Wall of Lost Thoughts helps keep you alive which is always nice.
- Manic Scribe is a great card as well.
- Being its casuel this card is soooooo tilting Consuming Aberration Its so much fun I might even consider running 3. You are a 22-24 land deck which means you should be able to cast it often enough, and when you do it can be game winning.
- Sphinx's Tutelage can also help your deck.
- Traumatize is funny as well. There is a fish that does the same thing i cant rememebr its name.
- Increasing Confusion Reoccurring Nightmare are also fun.
- Another way to approach this deck is cards like Trepanation Blade + Tormented Soul and Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness . It can be a fun deck to play with.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Hey Argy - great to hear that Pioneer has brought you back to the game!
Hopefully it will stay popular and one day maybe even surpass Modern as the number one format!!
Good call on the Sphinx's Tutelage I'll try running two for now and take it from there...and the new Jace might be interesting for a "Self Milling" strategy.
Oh yeah, I always refer to the feminine with everything MtG related as a tribute to the old Unlimited Rulebooks that came with the Starter decks back in the day :D
3 weeks ago
Are you female? I just noticed that you refer Milling a female in your deck description. You might just be using a gender neutral term. If so - good for you!
3 weeks ago
I have to learn what all the cards in the latest set do.
I have been testing against another Mill deck that runs Sphinx's Tutelage - I forgot how good that card is for Mill. You may want to consider a playset.
1 month ago
Quicken is in for Merfolk Secretkeeper and Startled Awake Flip but mostly...it just draws. 16 lands does seem low, but I'm running a very similiar build in standard, and that works like a charm :) Sphinx's Tutelage is a great card, but too slow for the deck this'll mill you out in 6 turns max.
1 month ago
Kederekt Parasite is definitely really good, and you've kind of convinced me on it.
With regard to what I took out, I decided that even though Dissipation Field does nonbo with Spiteful Visions , that it provides enough of disincentive for people attacking me that I'm okay with it. I also left Nin, the Pain Artist and Niv-Mizzet, Parun in the deck as they are really powerful cards which can jump me ahead a lot. With all of the duel lands I have, I have never been unable to cast Niv, and I also just think that Nin is good since she lets me sink mana into her if I don't have to counter something after a turn cycle. Lastly, I left in The Magic Mirror as it can provide a lot of card draw and value, and most of the time, I can cast it for not that much.
I did end up taking out Kess, Dissident Mage , Bone Miser , Prosperity , and Sphinx's Tutelage though. I agree with you on Sphinx's as it really only feels good in a 1v1 for mill. Kess and Bone Miser both felt like a mana sink which I always felt bad about since they only mildly synergize with the rest of my cards and require a lot of investment up front. Lastly, Prosperity just never felt as good as a wheel since everyone gets to hold their cards except for me.
Thanks again for all your help!
Sphinx's Tutelage occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%