Legendary Creature — Orc Warrior
This attacks each turn if able.
This has indestructible as long as it's your turn.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by this dies this turn (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, tokens are put into the graveyard before they cease to exist), put a +1/+1 counter on this.
|Have (2)||CatLord9001 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Zurgo Helmsmasher Discussion
3 weeks ago
Grubbernaut My point is more that the effect doesn't seem to match up with the intend of the Commander - if I understood the OP correctly. Moreso blue-white isn't really an aggro orientated color pairing.
Zurgo Helmsmasher is a T3 deck on the competitive cEDH scale (at least to some lists), so while building an exclusively 0 MV deck is unlikely a wise strategy for this Fox, there's already Voltron strategies on the competitive scale that seems slower than what you can do here. In the 0 MV spots you can take advantage of cards like Mishra's Bauble, Spellbook, Briber's Purse, Everflowing Chalice, Chalice of the Void, and there's a few more 0 MV artifacts that are decent enough that they wont hinder you much in an aggro shell while providing opportunities to massively grow the fox (not including high priced cards like the Mox Sapphire). Anything past +4/+4 per turn seems too much for a free trigger on a 2 mana card. Include most if not all of the Cycling lands so you can ditch lands for gas if flooded. Blue and the built in card advantage + filtering of the Fox is sure to give you cards in hand to use your mana or keep it open for responses. And blue gives you plenty of ways to avoid combat blocking as an obstacle, so you only really need to mind responding to removal.
And I haven't even thought that much about how to built that deck, so there's probably more you can do. (The more I think about it, the more I actually want to build the deck, just to see what you can possibly do - but I don't think that's the intent of the Commander and I don't actually want this version to see print.)
Obviously Paradox Haze for double the draws, double the counters.
It's definitely not going to be a T1 deck, but are we really trying to make competitive ready Commanders with little thought?
Also how many decks are really winning on turn 3? It's definitely possible, but I doubt it's a majority of the time. I don't have much experience with cEDH, but considering the decks that are put into the top tiers of the cEDH lists, I think it's more realistic to say they end around turn 5-6 on average.
(And if we're talking cEDH you can speed up the clock and cast Fox t1 and attack on t2 for 6+ damage and then again next turn to take that player out most likely and at that point you can possibly clap a player per attack.)
1 month ago
Tower of the Magistrate is the one I always stuff in it my deck isn't too colour greedy, that I don't see others pay often.
Voltron player: "Equip Worldslayer."
Me: "Don't worry, Zurgo Helmsmasher! I'll protect you from that big, scary sword!"
1 month ago
I am seeing Azorius and Selesnya. Given that these colors do not really "punish", I'm going to skip them. Also, I started it off with Rakdos, so yeah.
Mardu Activations sounds far too fun to pass up, but I'll toss the challenge(s) back up at the end for anyone else who may want to finish it up.
I'm going to take Faux_Faux's suggestion of Gods of Tarkir (God that set name is awesome) from the original timeline. Going to go (In depiction, not in subtype) Orc, to elude to Zurgo Helmsmasher being a descendant from said God, which all the more humiliates him when the timeline is reset and he becomes the cowardly and weak Zurgo Bellstriker.
Zagol, Nomadic Blood-God
Legendary Creature - Berserker God
All creatures you control have and haste and must attack each turn if able.
I wanted so much to give Zagol vigilance, but I think I rather like the idea of him sitting back and letting everyone else die under his reign, while he uses powerful magic to shape the tides of war in the background. On the one hand, it appears to suggest potential cowardice. On the other hand, it supports a tactical genius. So it can really go either way.
With that being said, you have an option:
- Create an Azorius Punishment card using the templates above
- Create a Selesnya Punishment card using the templates above
- Create an Azorius Commander with an attack trigger
2 months ago
Zurgo Helmsmasher is missing the Legendary Supertype.
2 months ago
4 months ago
I play MLD in a few decks. Namely Lord Windgrace , Chulane, Teller of Tales , and Zurgo Helmsmasher (board wipe tribal), but I don’t usually play it until I’m in a position to quickly bounce back and win in the next few turns.
6 months ago
Dragonranger I really love your ideas of cutting down the number of spectres and adding in Denithor and the Wild Men. I think I will keep three spectres, Urgoros, the Empty One , one flying, and one on horse. I am already running Zurgo Helmsmasher
I would love to discuss with you about the mana base for the deck at some point in time. I also felt that was my weakest area and really needed some work. Your knowledge of the Lord of the Rings seems much deeper than mine. I really appreciate the feedback. :)
6 months ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.