Creature — Giant Warrior
When Boldwyr Heavyweights enters the battlefield, each opponent may search his or her library for a creature card and put it into play. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Boldwyr Heavyweights Discussion
3 weeks ago
griffstick: It's one of these terrible cards that are pretty great once in a while.
I did a quick search and found other fitting cards: Boldwyr Heavyweights, Cosmic Larva, Daemogoth Titan, Daemogoth Woe-Eater, Deep-Slumber Titan, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger, Phyrexian Soulgorger, Plague Reaver, Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
1 month ago
I find that Mark of Mutiny is the premiere choice for decks like this, since the +1/+1 counter will never be a drawback alongside Bazaar Trader or Fling. It would probably perform a little better than Traitorous Blood, for instance.
And if you're worried about creatureless decks, the ultimate answer to those is Boldwyr Heavyweights! Even if your opponent is merely creature-light, they ensure he'll provide something good for you to steal immediately after, eheheh.
8 months ago
After playing this deck for the first time tonight, how do you deal with the negative ETB effects of Phyrexian Dreadnought , Eater of Days and Boldwyr Heavyweights when reanimating them? From reading the rules and discussing with friends, it appears if you end the turn to negative the ETB effects, the reanimate sacrifice will trigger on the next person's turn and sacrifice the creature.
8 months ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 year ago
Hi, everyone! I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I'd love some opinions on this. Is there any merit in running Boldwyr Heavyweights in an aikido style list? It's a big beater for 4 mana that draws out a threat from each opponents' deck, probably much scarier than an 8/8 trampler anyway.
My thought process here was that the Heavyweights' ability could be utilized to some benefit, either by escalating tension between other players, making them waste their removal on each other, or just increasing the opponents' combat strength, and through that, also the efficiency of your aikido spells. It being a relatively unimpressive 8/8 compared to the impactful creatures your opponents are getting could be played to a strength, I believe.
There are obvious problems in the fact that you don't control what the opponent finds. If they find something you can't deal with or just directly enable them to win, you're boned. In addition, despite being quite cheap for it's body, it still costs 4 mana, which does put a strain on your ability to respond to the immediate threats as well as any other obstacles that emerge before your next turn.
I've been told Boldwyr Heavyweights is a meme card since it was printed, but I wish to believe it's ability holds at least some potential. Any thoughts? :)
2 years ago
Lightning Berserker seems better than Glitterfang . In a pinch you could play it normally and not be forced to return it to your hand. Kher Keep is legendary. With only 20 lands, getting 2 of them would set you back. Maybe swap 2 of em for 2 more Mountains. I'm not sure if Brand is worth it in this deck since most of the stuff you trade away gets returned or sacrificed?
2 years ago
This looks like a blast to play! Do you find yourself running out of steam in the late game or wishing you are drawing more?
Your deck reminds me of my Xantcha, Sleeper Agent deck that allows me to get pretty political and I love the idea of donating creatures. Also, cool find with Boldwyr Heavyweights . Never heard of it and can't wait to work it in a deck.
2 years ago
about death by karona, absolutely it happens if you aren't careful lol. i usually only play karona if i'm basically doing nothing in the game, or have a way to make her not attack me.
as for the extreme group hug and letting people cheat things out ( Braids, Conjurer Adept , Boldwyr Heavyweights , Hunted Wumpus , etc.) i think those could be a lot of fun and bring a bunch of chaos to the table. with this list, though, i kinda like the game going a bit slower and not exploding things too much. however, it would definitely be worth a try if you were planning on building a version of this deck yourself. i'd also recommend trying out the global ramp cards ( Mana Flare , Heartbeat of Spring , Dictate of Karametra etc.) if you were going that route