Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Great Hall of Starnheim
This enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain .
[[symbol:W], , Sacrifice this and a creature you control: Create a 4/4 white Angel Warrior creature token with flying and vigilance. Activate this ability only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
9 months ago
Hey, it's Dylan's friend, Justin. He asked me to weigh in on the list. So... Hello! The list looks very good, especially if it's your first time building a deck. Plus, Angels are always cool and fun.
If I was to offer any criticism, well, first even before I talk cards and strategy, I noticed the deck is labelled as being *Standard. It's not, but it is very close to being so. So you get to make a choice here. Do you want a deck that you could play against other people in a friendly, competitive environment or do you want just a fun deck to play casually that you wouldn't need to update? You are so close to the former, that I might just recommend that. But if you didn't want to do that, that's fine, too.
If you wanted a standard list you just need to replace the cards marked in red text. there are not many of them and some, I would recommend cutting altogether anyway. For instance, the one mana cards could go. Segovian Angel is an angel, but it's not very impactful and won't be worth the card if you draw it early or late. Soul Warden is an amazing card, but it only really excels when a lot of creatures are entering the battlefield (which your deck doesn't really support) or when cards are triggering by gaining any amount of life - Archangel of Thune is a great example of this, but your deck only has one. AND at that point, we might as well cut the non-standard cards. I would replace the Go for the Throat with Infernal Grasp and Vanishing Verse and I might go as far as playing 4 copies of each of those. I would play 4x Skyclave Cleric Flip or Ambitious Farmhand Flip (just to add some consistency with hitting land drops. Speaking of lands, definitely add some duals and maybe some utility lands. Emeria's Call Flip Great Hall of Starnheim Brightclimb Pathway Flip Scoured Barrens Shattered Sanctum Shineshadow Snarl Silverquill Campus Snowfield Sinkhole Are all in standard and you can choose how much $ you want to spend. I would settle on x8 dual lands and 0-2 utility lands from among those. I would also just play x4 Righteous Valkyrie, that to me looks like your best card and has the best synergy with the rest of the deck. The deck also looks soft to early aggressive decks... so I might consider adding in 1-2 Doomskar to help with that. Lastly, I might try to find room for a few of these cards, but they are more preference-based as I think they deck looks very playable already. I would try to jam maybe a few of these cards: Enduring Angel Flip Starnheim Unleashed Haunting Voyage.
If you didn't want to worry about standard legality, I would find someway somehow to find room for some amount of Baneslayer Angel. Maybe a Linvala, the Preserver as a cool one-of and if you wanted to spend the $, Resplendent Angel seems like a perfect include as x1-x4 of.
Hope that was helpful! And... take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm not exactly what you would call an active Magic player.
1 year ago
darkmus no worries haha, you don't talk too much don't worry about it. I was thinking about the lack of artifact/enchantment/planeswalker removal, and that does seem like a good solution.
With regards to Resplendent Angel , getting 2 now is the plan. I'll definitely aim for getting 4 Resplendents in the long run, they're very very solid cards. Archangel of Tithes is also on my wishlist for the future, that card also looks super strong. Having thought it over more, if I add in Seraph it'll probably be as a sideboard card.
I'm a bit nervous about running anything less than 24 lands, I have historically pretty bad draw luck and I find myself getting mana screwed way more often than I like haha. I do think I will swap out one Great Hall of Starnheim for a standard Plains, though. It's a card that I find (in my experience) to be pretty situational but, when it does pay out, it pays out really really well. Something I think is worth having around, but I agree probably only as a one-off.
1 year ago
I do think I'll probably swap in Legion Angel , I guess I'm just a bit anxious about how efficient removal is in modern compared to standard haha. It does make more sense to run generally than 4 Serra Avenger .
Ideally I think I'm going to keep this in B/W if for no other reason than to keep the identity of the deck in-tact (and so when I'm playing super casually I can slip in some of my favorite black valkyries just for fun). I think hitting about $200 usd is the spot I'd like this deck to sit in, that's about the max I'd be willing to shell out for this sort of thing and right now this is hovering right around that point.
I'm thinking about adding a couple Seraph of the Scales for the additional token payout, and I am definitely going to add 2 Great Hall of Starnheim ; both because its a cheap land, and because in my experience having the token conversion is actually extremely useful (and, with Resplendent Angel and one other lifegain source in play, its a 2-for-1 deal).
I definitely think I'll have a lot of fun with this when I get it put together, and thank you again for the help!
1 year ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 year ago
Oh another thing I forgot to mention, I'm not sure what creature you plan to sacrifice for Great Hall of Starnheim at sorcery speed since all your creatures are valuable and using a bird from Alrund's Epiphany seems like a pipe dream, but the wall from The Birth of Meletis would be a nice target for that too.
1 year ago
I like keeping Foulmire Knight for threat removal due to death touch, for card draw, and also for use as sacrifice for Great Hall of Starnheim . I did remove Inscription of Ruin for another card that lets me bring back creatures from my graveyard (blanking on the name right now). I’ll have to update the list when I get home.
1 year ago
I would add a few more copies of Great Hall of Starnheim because it's a land that can just sit around making mana until you need an extra angel. Maybe Starnheim Aspirant ? There are a lot of cards in kaldheim that I can't wait to see how they shake out in standard.