Creature — Human Warrior
First strike, haste Whenever a player casts a spell from a graveyard, Ash Zealot deals 3 damage to that player.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ash Zealot Discussion
10 months ago
I like how the guy above this comment just casually strolls in and tells you to put in a bunch of moxen...
That said, warriors is one of my favorite tribes and I've made a ton of decks with them! Plus Najeela is such a badass commander! These are my suggestions that you haven't included and could serve as some better synergy with your deck than your non-warriors:
- Winota, Joiner of Forces for deck filtering, extra combat step power, and a tutor for your human warriors.
- Samut, Voice of Dissent to give all your creatures haste and she's incredibly powerful in and of herself, can give pseudo vigilance or enable tap/untap shenanigans with her second ability, and she has Flash.
- Garna, the Bloodflame gives your creatures haste and has Flash like Samut. She also helps you instantly recover from board wipes (in my meta boardwipes are so rampant my playgroup has started to implement restrictions on how many can be put into decks, yours may be different).
- Tahngarth, First Mate is a great way to engage politically with the board.
- Harald, King of Skemfar tutors the top 5 of your deck for warriors.
- Varolz, the Scar-Striped also helps you recover from wipes or having your big creatures removed with his scavenge ability.
- Maja, Bretagard Protector she can net you a lot of warrior tokens, especially if you have ways to bounce lands or play extra lands.
- Rhys the Redeemed gets you a lot of warrior elf tokens over the course of a game if you can get him out early.
- Kresh the Bloodbraided helps you recover from removal (but not wipes) in a better way than Varolz.
- Surrak Dragonclaw makes all your warriors uncounterable.
- Zurgo Helmsmasher one of the biggest warrior beat-sticks available to you, and he has haste. His cheap cmc also makes him a huge target while his indestructible clause lets you build other threats on your board while they figure out how to deal with him.
- Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel one of the most perfect ways to recover from a board wipe by putting a massive amount of tokens on the field once he dies (can also use blink or graveyard recursion on him to make more).
- Anthousa, Setessan Hero makes your lands warriors. Works really well with Maja.
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes tons of cat warrior tokens.
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro gives all your warriors pseudo-deathtouch.
- Yasova Dragonclaw steals their creatures.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death gives you graveyard recursion for your low CMC warriors and works really well with ones with ETB's.
- Chief of the Edge should be an auto-include. Chief of the Scale is ok if you are running toughness or need the toughness for certain spells or something, but yeah Chief of the Edge is absolutely where it's at.
- Honored Crop-Captain like Chief of the Edge but only works while attacking.
- Resolute Survivors keeps you in long games
- Brawl-Bash Ogre is a good sac outlet for tokens you aren't using/don't need.
- Proud Wildbonder works REALLY well with Bramblewood Paragon's effect. Also works with Khenra Charioteer
- Rubblebelt Raiders can get absolutely huge with tokens on the board.
- Scuzzback Marauders isn't just a good beatstick, with Persist it can combo off with any of your sac outlets and Bramblewood Paragon.
- Moriok Replica works really good with Alesha for continuous card draw.
- Avenging Huntbonder keeps dishing out the double strike onto your other creatures every turn.
- Blaring Recruiter make warrior tokens.
- Hidden Dragonslayer morph ability takes out your opponents biggest threats.
- Den Protector is great graveyard recursion.
- Nacatl Hunt-Pride lets you control the combat step to your liking.
- Paired Tactician just some nice synergy.
- Mardu Woe-Reaper graveyard removal with every warrior ETB. More important than you think!
- Seasoned Hallowblade just a really strong and low CMC card that will stay on the battlefield throughout an entire game more often than not.
- Steward of Solidarity free vigi warrior token generation every 2 turns or a lot every turn with untap shenanigans.
- Usher of the Fallen the cheapest warrior token creation you can find.
- Battle Brawler with just a single red or white permanent on the battlefield becomes super strong. With Chief of the Edge he becomes a 4 power first strike for 2 mana... not bad.
- Blaring Captain partners with Blaring Recruiter and has Honored Crop-Captain's effect.
- Blood-Chin Fanatic a MUST in any warrior tribal that includes black and makes tokens or pumps a single warrior's power to an absurd level. This card can single handedly win you a game.
- Blood-Chin Rager gives all your warriors menace.
- Champion of Stray Souls expensive, but can recover your entire board very quickly.
- Exquisite Huntmaster an extremely underrated card that can net you a ton of elf warrior tokens in a multiplayer match while also being a beater.
- Mardu Strike Leader using its dash ability can keep it safe from removal. Also makes a 2/1 warrior token every turn.
- Mindblade Render keeps the card draw going off of warrior damage.
- Nadier's Nightblade combos EXTREMELY well with Blood-Chin Fanatic and also with any other sac outlet.
- Sickle Dancer a 4/3 flier when attacking isn't bad for cmc 3.
- Thrasher Brute forms a combo with Scuzzback Marauders and any of the sac outlet warriors.
- Titan Hunter gives combo and solitaire players a clock while also giving you a convenient sac outlet with lifegain.
- Vampire Warlord sac outlet with regenerate.
- Herald of Secret Streams combos really well with Bramblewood Paragon to give your warriors unblockable.
- Nimbus Champion can keep the board clear of annoying blockers.
- Whirlpool Warrior wheel effect on a stick.
- Ahn-Crop Invader another beater sac outlet.
- Archetype of Aggression combos with Proud Wildbonder and keeps your opponents from gaining trample.
- Ash Zealot punish those blue and black decks that like to keep casting their spells over and over from the graveyard!
- Boldwyr Heavyweights tutor for your game ending creature and put it into play for free. Sure your opponents get a tutor too... but it's your turn, and your combat, and you have Najeela...
- Boldwyr Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS!
- Kargan Intimidator COWARDS CAN'T BLOCK WARRIORS! FOR CHEAPER!
- Combat Celebrant those additonal combat steps are... chef's kiss
- Frenzied Saddlebrute ridiculously fun political ability.
- Goblin Bushwhacker can end a game if you just laid out a bunch of tokens that turn.
- Goblin Cratermaker get rid of annoying artifacts or spot removal... likes to work with Alesha.
- Goma Fada Vanguard choose a creature to not block each turn based on warriors.
- Kruin Striker strong and cheap card that gets out of hand with sac combos or mass token generation.
- Shatterskull Charger pseudo dash effect with a bunch of other strong abilities.
- Rustrazor Butcher extremely underrated card. First strike and wither for 2 CMC! Can buff it a number of ways to surprise an enemy in combat too.
- Vengeful Firebrand basically a fireball on a stick as long as you have a warrior in the yard.
- Viashino Sandsprinter pseudo dash effect with trample. Has cycling if you need something else.
- Champion of Rhonas cheat whatever creature you want from hand onto the battlefield with no downside.
- Civic Wayfinder helps you get the right colors you need.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip dig through your library for more warriors.
- Golgari Raiders green haste that gets huge if you just suffered a boardwipe.
- Heir of the Wilds just a very strong presence for 2 CMC.
- Imperious Perfect elf warrior token generation.
- Horizon Seeker repeatable color fixing.
- Icehide Troll very, very strong and hard to remove creature. Needs snow lands though.
- Maulfist Revolutionary better version of proliferate.
- Matsu-Tribe Sniper keeps your enemies' dragons, demons, angels, and emrakuls from flying over your field.
- Petrified Wood-Kin expensive, but this guy can't be countered and is extremely difficult to remove and can ETB with insane P/T if you swung in hard on someone that turn.
- Stonehoof Chieftain a game ender if you've pumped your creatures at all.
- Thorn Lieutenant high value low CMC card with a mana dump if you need it (I like the combos for mana dumps better though).
- Unstoppable Ash come out of every combat pretty much unscathed. Only creature better for it is Stonehoof Chieftan.
Wolfir Avenger flash in for a block and a regenerate ability.
God-Eternal Oketra make huge 4/4 zombie warrior tokens on every warrior cast.
1 year ago
Ash Zealot, Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch, Battle Brawler, Bloodmark Mentor, Goblin Spymaster, Grim Initiate, Kruin Outlaw Flip, Neheb, the Worthy, No-Dachi, Rakdos Ringleader, Rustrazor Butcher, Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, Splatter Thug, Viridian Claw, and Zada's Commando are the ones worth maaayayybe considering. In my opinion. Budget-permitting, of course.
1 year ago
Ash Zealot Destiny Spinner Rampaging Ferocidon Leyline of Combustion Leyline of Punishment all have elements of control, but artifacts are the controliest permanents, even more than blue or white tons of stuff like Winter Orb Pithing Needle
1 year ago
Rain of Knowledge
Draw X cards, where X is 1 plus the number of charge counters on it.
Return a land to your hand: Put two charge counters on Rain of Knowledge. You may choose a new target for it. Any player may play this ability but only if Rain of Knowledge is on the stack.
So, yesterday, I posed this challenge to no reply, so I'll repost it.
Also not like a Magus of Stasis-type deal or Magus of the Moon, but like Yixlid Jailer, Melira, Sylvok Outcast, Vexing Shusher (kinda?), Stigma Lasher, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Ash Zealot, Tunnel Ignus, Harsh Mentor, and Immolation Shaman.
1 year ago
Braid of Fire - Molten Disaster - Chain Reaction - Magmaquake - Viashino Heretic - Wildfire - Pyrohemia - Violent Eruption - Starstorm - Pyrokinesis - Street Spasm - Rolling Thunder - Boil - Arc Lightning - Steam Blast - Breath of Darigaaz - Slagstorm - Flame Jab - Pyroclasm - Flamebreak - Volcanic Fallout
1 year ago
Mzuzi the Unlucky
Legendary Planeswalker - Mzuzi
Spells your opponents cast that target you or permanents or spells you control cost less to cast.
+2: Each opponent creates a 3/3 green Beast creature token. During each opponent's next turn, creatures that player controls attack Mzuzi the Unlucky if able.
+2: Target opponent gains control of Mzuzi the Unlucky.
-9: You get an emblem with "If you have cards in your graveyard, you can't lose the game." and "As long as you have 0 or less life, whenever you lose life, for each 1 life you lost, exile a permanent you control or a card from your hand or graveyard."
The static is based on Accursed Witch Flip, the first +2 is based on Gideon Jura/goad as a mechanic, and other +2 is based on Harmless Offering as well as Gilded Drake-type effects. The ultimate is a mix of Worship, Phyrexian Unlife, and Lich's Mastery.
I couldn't really think of a green aspect, so I just gave everyone some beasts to attack Mzuzi with.
Also not like a Magus of Stasis-type deal or Magus of the Moon, but like Collector Ouphe (I'm aware is't Null Rod), Yixlid Jailer, Melira, Sylvok Outcast, Vexing Shusher (kinda?), Stigma Lasher, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Ash Zealot, Tunnel Ignus, Harsh Mentor, and Immolation Shaman.
2 years ago
Tectonic Giant > 1 terra
2 years ago
Well, if you never had any problems with Kiln Fiend then keep it. There's no reason to change what has been working out fine. Just as a thought provoker, you can have Monastery Swiftspear to think about.
Maybe just bad wasn't the best thing to say about Rakdos Shred-Freak . It's just that it offers basically nothing more than haste. You have cards like Hellspark Elemental , as you mentioned, but also:
Earthshaker Khenra - Makes it easier to get to your opponent while also being reusable from the grave in the late game, and even bigger than before.
Ash Zealot - More of a Siboard card, but still, 2 mana for first strike, haste and punishes your opponent for playing cards from your graveyard.
Vexing Devil - Dont't know if you could fit this guy in your budget, but it's amazing. It's either a one mana 4/3 that your opponent will have to waste a removal spell or a one mana 4 damage spell.
However, the real reason I said Rakdos Shred-Freak is bad is because of...
Thunderkin Awakener - It can reanimate all of your (elemental) suicide bombers while attacking. So for only two mana, you can from 4 damage on board, with Thunderkin Awakener and Spark Elemental , to up to 8 damage with the Firecat. You could also put other cards in for him, like Lightning Skelemental and Spark Trooper , but those would require you to adjust the manabase.
Also, since you're playing these cheap suicide bombers you could use Unearth to reanimate them again and hit for a bunch. However, I'm not sure that splashing to black would appeal to you.
Another suicide bomber could be Impetuous Devils , though I don't have much to say about it. You can basically take out one of your opponent's creature by forcing them to block. Just here as an option for you.
Cards like Thud , Fling and Flesh / Blood (the blood half only) should prove themselves more useful than Soul's Fire . Since most of your creatures are dying anyway, there should be no problem in sacrificing them.
Manabasewise, if really want to keep Reality Smasher you can add lands that have a better utility than Rogue's Passage as most of your creatures have trample anyway, so your opponent will regardless always have trouble preventing damage.
I've been writing a lot today, so right now I won't go on too much detail about these "utility" lands. I'll just list some here and you can say if you liked any or none and I'll glady discuss about it.
- Looming Spires
- Kessig Wolf Run
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits
- Teetering Peaks
- Turntimber Grove
- Barbarian Ring
- Smoldering Spires
- Blighted Gorge
- Keldon Megaliths
- Memorial to War
- Sunscorched Desert
Just as a curiosty, I've written so many cards in this comment that TappedOut won't let me mark more suggestions, while most not even appearing for me to suggest.