Archetype of Imagination
Enchantment Creature — Human Wizard
Creatures you control have flying.
Creatures your opponents control lose flying and can't have or gain flying.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Archetype of Imagination Discussion
1 week ago
Shadow, I'm going to be a little verbose, but bear with me. I've been playing commander weekly with a small local playgroup for well over a year. It's casual, not competitive. So take my advice with that said.
It's more like midrange is a little different in commander. Your curve ends out much higher, since the game goes longer. You can't just stall a few turns and win by pecking away with 2-drop and 3-drop creatures, because your opponents have a total of 120 life you have to whittle away (if they're not attacking each other). Each card needs to have maximum impact on all players, since it's multiplayer. Politics is huge. Each playgroup is different, but in mine, you try not to "poke any bears" until you absolutely have to. You don't want to make all your opponents mad at you at once, and you also don't want to target one person so much that they decide to come after you, while the others sit back, develop their boardstates, and kill whatever's left of whichever one of you survives. It can be done if you're prepared to be enemy #1, with plenty of control elements. Spot removal is a fine line to walk. Use it sparingly, because while you stopped one person, there are 2 others you did not stop.
You need to have an idea of how you will win the game. Even if you are playing heavy control/stax, you either need to have a lock on all of your opponents to get them to concede or you need to have a few value cards that will get the job done after you've stalled. Big ones. Avacyn, Dragonlord Ojutai, (you've got a few - your 5/5's). Find ways to make them bigger - Hedron Matrix. With double strike (Fireshrieker or True Conviction). Or cards that will eventually make you an army (Sigil of the Empty Throne, Luminarch Ascension, Moonsilver Spear, Angelic Accord, Chasm Skulker.) You also have a few creatures that will get large as you slowly gain life, and could add Ajani's Pridemate. Can you get them through unblocked? Whispersilk Cloak, Prowler's Helm, Rogue's Passage. Don't forget you'll need to protect them: Mother of Runes (also helps with not being blocked), Mask of Avacyn, Swiftfoot Boots, Soul of New Phyrexia. If you focus on those, you'll want more lifegain triggers, like Shattered Angel (which is nuts in commander), Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest. Find out what your playgroup thinks of infinite combos. If they're not completely frowned upon, you probably want to include 1 or 2 for when the game just needs to be over. Also see what your playgroup thinks of tutors. Most playgroups don't like a lot of tutoring, but some are ok with a little.
Midrange can be good in commander. Yisan, the Wanderer Bard is a mid-range commander but also combos and is ranked Tier 1. But he has a tutor for whatever card you need built in. Same with General Tazri. Oloro is Tier 2, but usually as a Pillowfort/Stax commander. Basically, you need to plan that pretty much whatever you draw will synergize with whatever else you've drawn, and particularly with your commander, since he is always available to you.
Drop: Pacifism, Aerial Responder, Skinrender, Prahv, Spires of Order, Liliana's Reaver, Astral Cornucopia (not very good in decks that aren't running proliferate. Which is another option). Lingering Souls probably also does not have enough impact, without more token support or more buffs like Dictate of Heliod and Spear of Heliod, unless you just want them as chump blockers. Commander is go big or go home.
Consider adding: Cliffhaven Vampire. Agent of Masks. Cage of Hands or Arrest or Quarantine Field. Or Crawlspace or Norn's Annex. Crypt Ghast or Kingpin's Pet or Treasury Thrull or Pontiff of Blight if you are planning to use extort to drain life. Gravitational Shift and maybe Archetype of Imagination or Stormtide Leviathan if you are planning to win by combat damage through flying. Plea for Guidance can tutor up Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood for infinite combo. Esper Panorama & Arcane Sanctum would fit this deck well.
Elixir of Immortality is great to get your graveyard back in your library, in case of mill or whatever. Sword of the Animist is good ramp, and Darksteel Ingot can be very useful. Also, the signets - Orzhov Signet, Dimir Signet, & Azorius Signet.
1 week ago
1 week ago
1 week ago
if you are going all in on a token based win con, why not consider Eldrazi Monument and Akroma's Memorial? Also Feldon of the Third Path seems absurd in a deck that wants to win with Thopters, since he allows you to reuse ETB triggers, as does Panharmonicon.
This deck feels a little diluted with the raw quantity of pillowfort cards that are included, and I would definitely reduce the number of defensive spells that are included, you are clearly wanting to be aggressive, and ways to refuel your hand would arguably be better than card filtering or cantripping, and ways to get through damage should have some importance over hiding behind a fort of pillows.
Just my two cents, good luck with tuning this deck to the way you like it!
2 weeks ago
Here's my binder for anything else that catches your eye: link
2 weeks ago
I'm looking for some bulk cards to finish off an Isperia the Inscrutable flying "tribal" EDH deck:
Archetype of Imagination, Archon of Justice, Archon of Redemption, Bident of Thassa, Cloudblazer, Gravitational Shift, Judge's Familiar, Peek, Soulcatcher, Spirit of the Hearth, Sprite Noble, Spy Network, Telepathy, Whispersilk Cloak, and Windreader Sphinx.
Thank you in advance!
2 weeks ago
Without knowing what other cards you have, it's hard to make suggestions, but you might check and see if you have any Guttersnipe (not a wizard, but a serious threat in an instant/sorcery based deck), Distant Melody, Roar of the Crowd, Vedalken AEthermage (love that Wizardcycling), Sage of Fables (combo with Glen Elendra Archmage) or Goblin Electromancer. Spellheart Chimera might be an interesting finisher. Or possibly Information Dealer, Nameless One, or Aphetto Grifter (if the deck isn't meant to be modern legal). Looks like you've got a lot of flying, so maybe Archetype of Imagination or Gravitational Shift? You've got plenty of card draw and some mill, so something like Jace's Erasure or Drowner of Secrets?
2 weeks ago
- Emmara Tandris ("indestructible" tokens, what's not to like?)
- Requiem Angel (note that it doesn't care if the creatures were tokens)
- Growing Ranks (Populate)
- Spirit Bonds (allows you to pay to get an spirit and to sac an spirit and protect a guy)
- Honden of Life's Web (If you decide to use it, get at least Honden of Seeing Winds as well)
- Omnath, Locus of Rage (great creature for K&T since you'll probably get 2 free 5/5 elementals per turn... and if they die you get to damage people)
- Zendikar's Roil (same thing, but 2/2 elementals)
- Rampaging Baloths (same thing, but 3/3 beasts)
- Emeria Angel (same thing, but 1/1 flying birds)
- Retreat to Emeria (same thing, but 1/1 Kor Allies)
- Sporemound (same thing, but 1/1 saprolings)
- Khalni Gem (interesting/cheap ramp tool that allows you to replay some lands)
- Khalni Heart Expedition (another easy ramp for K&T)
- Meloku the Clouded Mirror allows you to tap a land and return it to your hand to get an easy token
- Explore: small ramp and draw card.
- Zendikar Resurgent effectively doubles your mana pool. You could also go with Dictate of Karametra if you do not care about opponents getting double mana as well, but it could be more dangerous
- Honden of Seeing Winds passive card draw is very neat
- Fecundity is great in a token-based deck.
- Military Intelligence is another good card if you plan to swarm the field
BUFFING YOUR CREATURES
- Thunderfoot Baloth (+2/+2 and trample)
- Assault Formation (turns K&T into an 8/8 creature and allows you to buff your guys)
- Intangible Virtue (only buffs your tokens, but also gives them vigilance)
- Archetype of Courage / Archetype of Imagination / Archetype of Endurance (I do not recommend Archetype of Aggression in a token-based deck)
- True Conviction (oh, so pretty. Double strike and lifelink are brutal)
- Spear of Heliod (doubles as a threat to someone trying to attack you)
- Marshal's Anthem gets you some creatures back and buffs them afterwards
- Skullwinder is a very political card, as well as Dawnbreak Reclaimer
- Reincarnation is a cute and can be quite useful.
- Seasons Past gets you a bunch of cards back in the late game
- Emeria Shepherd plays well with the landfall strategy (I'd recommend switching to a more -based deck for it to become even better)
- Wave of Reckoning that comes with the deck is a nice removal since it won't remove your commander from the table.
- Vandalblast for the Overload cost is simply amazing.
- Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer is kinda bad. He can only bribe 1 creature per turn and if he dies, the bribery token has no effect.
- Orzhov Advokist saves you for a turn, then makes everything worse... :C
- Realm Seekers. Yes, they get quite big quite easily, but not all that useful since they do not have trample/reach/vigilance/anything)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder is better suited for decks that get lots of graveyard recursion (making him reusable).
- Farseek is more expensive than Rampant Growth because it can get you a nonbasic Mountain/Forest/Plains/Island. Since you are not running those, you could stick with just Rampant
- Seeds of Renewal (there are better ways of getting cards back, check my "RECOVERING CARDS" section)
- Shamanic Revelation (check "DRAW ENGINE")
- Sphere of Safety (unless you run 10+ enchantments, I'd say it's not that good)
- Reins of Power (I'd say, go with Illusionist's Gambit or Mirror Match)
- Benefactor's Draught (not all that useful in my opinion. Even though it might give you some cards and put someone in your debt, I don't see much point)
- Arcane Denial (meh. Bad counter. If you really want to use a counter, try something along the lines of a Dissipate or Mana Leak)
- Prismatic Geoscope. At first I really liked this card, but when I realized it enters the battlefield tapped, I felt betrayed hahaha. I'd run a Signet in your prominent colors or a Darksteel Ingot instead.