|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Relics (V10)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on Æther Vial.
: You may put a creature card with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Aether Vial from your hand into play.
|Want (8)||Darkpharaoh , kingcowofcows , Alchemist650 , Raidriar , LeoSperandio , Kagu11 , VIICities , sonnet666|
Aether Vial Discussion
1 day ago
Drangonboy12 since i posted this list it has taken on a couple of small changes in what I'm actually playing in it right now. I have added 3 Aether Vial and taken out an Overgrown Tomb and all of the Striking Sliver . this has allowed me to become a little more consistent in the early game. that said I have due to lack of other available decks this last few weeks been playing two different versions of G/B Elves. One was tournament ready and is a toss up of who will win between the card draws and the other was a consist blow out in my favor vs their jank build.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
no need for Hallowed Fountain , u only summon Judge of Currents with Paradise Mantle 's mana, Aether Vial protects Laboratory Maniac from counter spells and its also mana ramp like. if u already got Puresight Merrow , u can use Muddle the Mixture to tutor Judge of Currents and u can also tutor Judge of Currents to the top of your deck with Puresight Merrow + Paradise Mantle combo.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 weeks ago
Thanks xram666 for your kind words and your suggestions.
You're right; Expedition Map is better. I think this is one of those cases where we did not even know we had this card and therefore overlooked it. We will make the switch.
Aether Vial though, we're not sure whether we want to let this card go. We've had some great laughs with it (especially when we were tapped out, but we still had creatures in our hand and enough counters on Vial to instantly summon a powerful blocker). Quicksilver Amulet was in here before though and was also quite good ... We will give this some thought; hopefully we can find a solution that allows us to include both.
Mrs. and Mr. NV_1980
3 weeks ago
Great deck. +1 from me. I have two suggestions:
3 weeks ago
Green has a number of solid options that make control incredibly difficult such as Thrun, the Last Troll or Carnage Tyrant . Hexproof (or regenerate) are great against reactive control decks (i.e. decks that deal with threats after they hit the field), while Green also provides "can't be countered" against more proactive control decks.
Or, you can go for my personal favourite option, play control. Nothing says fun like two players locked in a battle to see who gets to play less Magic. (I've been told I have a skewed vision of what is "fun").
Aether Vial occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
All decks: 0.33%
All decks: 0.41%