|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Glen Elendra Archmage
Creature — Faerie Wizard
(Blue), Sacrifice Glen Elendra Archmage: Counter target noncreature spell.
Persist (When this creature is put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Glen Elendra Archmage Discussion
4 days ago
I apologize if this has been suggested before, but Glen Elendra Archmage offers a relevant creature type synergy with the commander, and its activated ability is a nice counterspell option that can even be used twice due to its persist ability as well.
Overall, this is a very cool deck. Thank you for sharing and a well earned +1 from me.
1 week ago
Mirror-Mad Phantasm is your best self mill option by far. It goes great with cards like Living Death and Living End assuming you're ok with some non-creature spells... if not then Primal Surge 100% deserves a spot for being all permanents.
Another card I've had great success with here is Bear Umbra due to the deck being a bit mana hungry and Muldrotha getting hated off the board... totem armor has saved my ass many times. I'd also run Glen Elendra Archmage and Siren Stormtamer for a little counter suite. World Shaper is also really good in self mill (I prefer it over Crucible here). I'd also try running Merciless Executioner in addition to Fleshbag Marauder, this effect is really strong here. Depending on your meta, Mystic Remora and/or Elephant Grass can be bonkers.
As far as cuts go, I'm not a huge fan of your walkers outside of LotV and Kiora, Crashing Wave. I'm also questioning your token producers like Skirsdag High Priest and Cryptbreaker just due to lack of synergy. Evil Twin is kinda meh and I'm having serious doubts over Golgari Thugs death trigger (granted you probably end up re-milling whatever you threw on top anyways). I'd also drop to 36 lands and consider running some off-color fetches.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. Feedback and/or upvotes are appreciated. Muldrotha's Madhouse - No Infinite
1 week ago
Hi! I'm personally a huge fan of Muldrotha as a commander; so first of all, nice choice! Here are some cuts and additions I'd recommend:
- Archetype of Endurance. This card is very powerful to be sure, but Muldrotha already needs a lot of mana to function, and you don't have very many ways to cheat it into play.
- Butcher of Malakir. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are more expensive money-wise, but being cheaper on mana and also more resilient makes them much, much better.
- Deranged Assistant. It looks good at first glance, but it's a 2-mana dork, and you're not playing any of the 1-mana dorks anyways. The single-card mill is a very minor upside.
- Millikin. Same as above.
- Nyx Weaver. It can be very good, but it's just too slow. There are much better ways to mill yourself, and a 6-mana Regrowth is way too much mana.
- Progenitor Mimic. A powerful card to be sure, but this isn't the deck for it.
- Slum Reaper. I think this card is only really worth running in decks that badly need the 3rd Fleshbag Marauder. Shriekmaw is almost always going to be better.
- Aether Spellbomb. Looping it can be fun, but bouncing a creature is a terrible waste, and there are better ways to draw cards with artifacts.
- Perpetual Timepiece. This card was good on Game Knights when they were only using Standard cards, but we have better options.
- Plague Boiler. This card is also cool, but once again, we have better choices.
- Demonic Vigor. Fun with Muldrotha, but there is usually so much exile-based removal in Commander that this card isn't as good as you think.
- Hesitation. Sweet include, but looks a little too cute. Very easy to play around, and also counters your spells.
- Skeletal Grimace. Same as Demonic Vigor.
- Thrull Retainer. Same.
- Grave Pact / Dictate of Erebos
- Living Death
- Dimir Signet
- Siren Stormtamer
- Farhaven Elf
- Wood Elves
- Evolutionary Leap
- Altar of Dementia
- Ashnod's Altar
- Pelakka Wurm
- Kiora, the Crashing Wave
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Glen Elendra Archmage (pricey, but very powerful)
- Nihil Spellbomb (secretly fantastic here)
- Sultai Charm
- Phyrexian Arena
Hope this helps! Feel free to leave a comment on my profile if you'd like further suggestions for this or any other deck! Good luck!
2 weeks ago
Why not take advantage of Muldrotha's graveyard casting ability with cards like Seal of Doom, or Glen Elendra Archmage, or any of the spellbombs, or Pernicious Deed, or Mulldrifter, or Sakura-Tribe Elder, or Caustic Caterpillar, or Siren Stormtamer, or Wasteland/Ghost Quarter or even Mindslaver, the list goes on. All of those cards are permanenets that you can use and recast with muldrotha, which makes them all significantly better since you can use them multiple times.
Right now it seems like a Sultai spellslinger deck with a lot of recursion which seems good, but doesn't take advantage of Muldrotha very much at all. You want permanents to be in your graveyard to recast with Muldrotha which in turn means you don't want/need so many recursive spells. The list of cards I gave you wasn't comprehensive but it was the first couple of cards that come to mind that are fine but become far more valuable when you have Muldrotha out. Muldrotha effectively turns your graveyard into an extension of your hand (only for permanents) so self mill like Grisly Salvage and Hermit Druid become essentially card draw since you can still play the cards you milled into the graveyard. Overall your deck looks nice but I feel like you're underutilizing your commander
Last_Laugh on animar
3 weeks ago
Again, I'd cut most of your non-creature spells. Most all of these effects can be replaced with creature versions.
I.e. counterspells can be Draining Whelk, Glen Elendra Archmage, and Stratus Dancer. Ramp/mana fixing can be any number of mana dorks like Utopia Tree, Bloom Tender, Manaweft Sliver, etc. and I'd 100% make room for Beastcaller Savant, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Vizier of the Menagerie. Removal can be Duplicant or either Ulamog. Card draw can be Prime Speaker Zegana, Tishana, Voice of Thunder, Garruk's Packleader, and/or the only non-creature I'm suggesting, Glimpse of Nature. Graveyard recursion can be Eternal Witness and Den Protector.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Thanks, that response was great. I have been following your deck building work for a while.
I am considering cutting Null Rod, Stony Silence, Sanctum Prelate, Runic Armasaur, and Ulvenwald Tracker. Consecrated Sphinx, Glen Elendra Archmage, Tendershoot Dryad, Sun Titan and maybe Idyllic Tutor would be the replacements.
There are no artifact based decks. I see the fast mana artifacts some. Grim Monolith, Mox Diamond and Mana Crypt are rare. Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo and Mana Vault are played. I never see Paradox Engine.
The other list has eight means to tutor creatures and none to tutor instants. Caustic Caterpillar and Manglehorn are in the list. I don't see Blood Moon, Back to Basics or many of the oppressive enchantments. I do see a lot of Propaganda effects. Do you think changing Manglehorn to Reclamation Sage would allow me to cut Nature's Claim?
Thanks for taking time to answer these questions. I know you have played Derevi for several years. Your insight into the deck is very informed.
3 weeks ago
A couple of quick questions to help hone in on a list for you:
It's clear you like playing control, but do you prefer proactive control (i.e. stopping people before they can do anything, usually via resouce denial) or reactive control (i.e. sitting back with a hand full of counterspells and removal, waiting for an opponent to try and do something)?
Do you prefer control to be in your hand on on the board? As in, would you prefer a Counterspell in hand that your opponent doesn't know about or a Glen Elendra Archmage in play that your opponent does know about?
For the deck's actual win condition, do you generally prefer:
- turning sideways with one or two big beaters
- attacking with lots of small creatures
- building up lots of mana and casting something like Exsanguinate, or
- setting up an infinite loop and then going from there
Since there are a lot of different ways to play control, hopefully these answers will help pick a colour/control subtheme.