Glen Elendra Archmage
Creature — Faerie Wizard
, Sacrifice Glen Elendra Archmage: Counter target noncreature spell.
Persist (When this creature is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
|Have (2)||Mortiferus_Rosa ,|
|Want (2)||metergram , MarkTaylorTSax|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Sage of Fables
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Sage of Fables + Viscera Seer
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Phyrexian Altar + Spark Double
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Glen Elendra Archmage occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.03%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%
BUG (Sultai): 0.66%
Glen Elendra Archmage Discussion
1 week ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
1 week ago
Hey just stopping by, it does look pretty similar to my list. I am constantly switching things in and out of my list so its never really the same twice. Anyway heres a few things that Ive found. First, your maybe board has some great cards. Ive been liking Kethis, the Hidden Hand it really eases the burden of the high CMC cards, plus 3 colors. Glissa is great early game, 2 colors and awesome blocker, and you can tutor it out in response to a wrath to get back equipments if they get blown up. Dalakos looks very solid I would probably slot that in over the prophetic flame speaker. The impulse effect is usually best with a low CMC deck which this one is not so you don't lose your big pieces. Ive really been liking Pariah's Shield. Once hammer is in, you can tutor for Godo to flash it in response to a big hit, so did a similar trick with an aetherflux reservoir trigger targeting me the other night. A few other things I like Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage is a new one for me thats been playing really well and Glen Elendra Archmage (strangely not legendary) has been great to stop cyclonic rift and things that make your life terrible. Faeburrow elder is another one that I'm trying to test out. I know their pricey, but try to get an embercleave the trample double strike is just so unbelievably good. My version of the deck is pretty casual, it doesn't play fast at all and I've been happy keeping it there, but you can explore the untap tricks like Bear Umbra and Nature's Will for a little additional power. But yeah overall I think you're in pretty good shape, just keep a close eye on mana curve whenever making changes. Yours is currently better shape than mine, but things get clunky fast. Also I think I'm going to check out Thran Temporal Gateway at some point.
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
The deck plays as an Aristocrats style deck, with the goal being to create a controlling presence on the board via continually using effects like Grave Pact , and by recurring creatures like Plaguecrafter , Voidmage Prodigy , Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip, and etc. From there you will typically win via combat damage, though by making small adjustments to this particular list it is also easily viable to win via combo if you include Goblin Bombardment , since you can then loop Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Glen Elendra Archmage for infinite damage.
1 month ago
Nice deck, I do have a few suggestions though.
First, Spark Double feels like it was custom made for Marchesa. It copies Marchesa for double Dethrone, the copies protect one another, and the copy enters with a counter immediately protecting itself.
Baleful Strix is definitely worth including.
Metallic Mimic can be used to abuse an etb/death trigger on everyone's turn instead of once per round. Just sac to reset the creature type as needed. Can also name human or wizard to immediately protect Marchesa.
Sage of Fables immediately protects Marchesa and it's an infinite combo piece with Ashnod's Altar and Flayer of the Hatebound. The draw ability is nice too.
Glen Elendra Archmage - Not an artifact... but your best counterspell in Marchesa by a long shot. Also infinitely combos with Mikaeus + Goblin Bombardment.
Diabolic Intent is arguably better than Demonic Tutor here.
Midnight Reaper in addition to Grim Haruspex.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. It's not modular Marchesa but it's one of the top rated Marchesa lists on this site and you may find something you like. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Every Masochist Needs a Marchesa To Love Them
1 month ago
Nice start. I do have a few suggestions to help you lower your avg. cmc though and I'll try to break it down by category and suggest a cut.
Draw: Midnight Reaper , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician , and Skullclamp for Butcher of Malakir (Grave Pact if your mana can handle it but Butcher is overcosted and susceptible to more removal), Bedevil (versatile but single use and not abuseable here), and Necropolis Regent (Really good at what it does but there's better finishers for Marchesa).
Control: Glen Elendra Archmage (combos with Mikaeus and Goblin Bombardment also) for Mystic Confluence (Glen Elendra gets multiple uses, Confluence only 1).
Boardwipes: Last One Standing and Jokulhaups for Decree of Pain (You won't need extra cards with Jokulhaups and it's cheaper to cast) and Polymorphists Gest (Last One Standing is the same cost but effects all opponents rather than 1).
Discard: Sadistic Hypnotist and Oona's Blackguard (discard helps seal up games tighter than a dolphin's butthole) for Vilis (Marchesa does better with cheap aggro) and Underworld Connections (You'll have better results out of resource denial than a single use per turn draw).
Feel free to check out my list for inspiration, it's one of the top rated Marchesa lists on this site. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Every Masochist Needs a Marchesa To Love Them
1 month ago
Suggested Additions -
Spark Double - Copies Marchesa 100% of games. Double dethrone, 2 Marchesas protecting each other, and the copy enters immediately protecting itself.
Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Essentially Commander #2 for you here. Reliably gets counters to your team without worrying about the Throne.
Sage of Fables - Immediately protects Marchesa, allows you to abuse wizard etb/death triggers every turn, and it enables an infinite combo with Ashnod's Altar and Flayer of the Hatebound. (See my list for explanations on both infinite combos I mentioned)
I can keep going on both additions and cuts... just let me know you're picking up what I'm putting down. Feel free to check out my list for ideas, it's one of the top rated Marchesa lists on this site. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Every Masochist Needs a Marchesa To Love Them