|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown||Uncommon|
|Planechase 2012 Edition||Uncommon|
|Champions of Kamigawa||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays for each creature he or she controls that's attacking you.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||awalloftext , zachi , Venser_the_Sojoner , acbooster , Spinalripper , golgarigirl , cryptoplasm , tragic_slip , mentor6 , ibraJG84 , kpral , Mousemke , NostalgicAce , jhTheMan99 , CampbellStev|
|Want (2)||Kravian , TheRealPeaches|
Ghostly Prison Discussion
10 hours ago
@ chaosumbreon87 Thanks so much for the quick feedback! I really appreciate your constructive criticism. I looked at EDHRec, and liked a lot of the cards I saw there! I am going to order a Horn of Greed, an Avenger of Zendikar, a Zendikar's Roil, a Rampaging Baloths, a Kodama's Reach and maybe an Arlinn Kord Flip. I totally agree with your suggested numbers of creatures and lands, but I don't know what to cut. At this point, I am having trouble deciding what cards to get rid of and what kinds of land I should at. I don't mean to sound demanding, but I would appreciate it if you could suggest some more specific cards to add and some specific cards to get rid of. Specifically, what kinds of draw/tutors do you suggest? I don't know if you saw, but this is still a budget deck and Tooth and Nail is a little speedy. Unless I can get a really good deal for one under 10$, I just don't think I can add it at this time. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "surprise wins"? Do you mean flashing big creatures in with something like Vedalken Orrery, or infinite combos (which I am open to). Also, how do you suggest I deal with control or board wipes (specifically stuff like Cyclonic Rift and Wrath of God) and other forms of control? I am curious, why do you suggest mana rocks? I would have thought that land-based ramp would be better since mass-land-destruction is considered kind of taboo in EDH and it nonexistent in my play group. Lastly, are there any other win cons that would allow me to beat decks that run a lot of Ghostly Prison type effects? Stuff that rewards me for having a lot of creatures and/or land. Anyways, I know this is a lot, but I really value the opinions of established players like yourself and anything suggestion that could improve my deck is something I will take into consideration!
P.S. Love your username! (Umbreon FTW!)
14 hours ago
16 hours ago
Just letting you know Ghostly Prison does not trigger if an opponent chooses to attack your planeswalkers.
Try Peacekeeper instead.
22 hours ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 day ago
Just so you know Idyllic Tutor doesn't have anything to tutor for mainboard. Also, you tagged the deck as WB (Orzhov) instead of UW (Azorius). Ghostly Prison would probably be good for this kind of deck and I don't know how helpful Karn will be for you.
2 days ago
Glad to see another Esper Mill player. Here are my thoughts:
I'm amazed that you're having success with just 19 lands! I run 21, with a lower curve and cheaper cantrips, and I still consider myself to be playing with fire by not running 22+. We've got a painful landbase and we benefit from landfall, so don't be afraid to up the land count if it's impacting you negatively. But if it's working for you, keep on keeping on.
Is Extirpate in over Surgical Extraction due to budget issues? If not, I'd make the swap. Split Second can be relevant, but the ability to extract when necessary regardless of mana access is just more widely applicable.
Since you splash white, Ghostly Prison might be an option over Ensnaring Bridge against go-wide decks--Bridge is amazing, but Visions of Beyond cripples it to a degree. If you're against more of the decks that cheat out big goons--especially Emrakul, the Aeons Torn--keep Bridge, and also consider Hide/Seek, which is a little-known card that can turn a nearly unwinnable matchup (Nahiri Control) into a favorable one.
Any reason Mesmeric Orb isn't a 4-of? Since you're more control oriented (and rightfully so), Orb puts in massive work over the course of even a moderately long match. If you take this advice, the first cards I'd look to cut are Breaking/Entering and Tome Scour. Neither is terrible, but Orb puts in so much more work. Fatal Push is also certainly worth considering--it's inferior to Path for our purposes, but in an aggro-heavy meta 4 spot removal might not be enough. I personally run a 4/2 split of Path/Push (check out my deck here: Esper Mill).
Leylines from the side are a nice touch, as are Remands in the main. I personally haven't gone that route, but there's nothing wrong with them whatsoever. Consider a sweeper or two if the go-wide decks really get out of hand in your area. Supreme Verdict and Damnation are both viable.
+1, and good luck to you! I'd welcome any feedback on my own build.
2 days ago
I must say I like the look of this deck. What have you played this against and how did it go?
Regarding the question above me aboout War's Toll: once you have something like Ghostly Prison out your opponents will have to choose if they use all their mana during the combat step or during another phase because mana is emptied after each step.
Maybe you could include a sweeper like Anger of the Gods to kill some early creatures your opponents will have played?
3 days ago
Some cards to dramatically increase the power and chaos to this deck is to make it even more so that Karona cannot attack you when another player has control over her. Easy ways to do this you have down, such as Ghostly Prison. The best and most powerful methods are the "vow" cards. Vow of Lightning, Vow of Wildness, Vow of Flight, Vow of Duty, and Vow of Malice. I would make room for at least three of these, as they are extremely impactful and quite fun in a Karona deck.