Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
Create a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Gain one mana of any colour.")
2 months ago
Red has a lot of treasure generating cards now (Treasure tap and sac for any one colored mana) and some of these cards improve that effect.
5 months ago
In: Nothing, there were 101 cards in the deck because I didn't finish cutting last time.
- A wincon that relies on combat (even if it's pretty well guaranteed) that doesn't further the gameplan is a hard sell. If the goad is relevant at all it means you didn't go off hard enough.
In: Dizzy Spell
- Dovescape is a hilarious card that does win you the game, but six mana is too much when it doesn't immediately do something. Dizzy Spell for Nivmagus Elemental is often going to be better.
- The one-mana slot has gotten very versatile, and a you can always just nab Kick in the Door to get things started if you don't need something specific like Crop Rotation or Nivmagus Elemental. It's also a targeted spell if you want to just trigger mentors or Storm-Kiln Artist.
In: Kick in the Door
- Feather is cute, but slow and win-more; we should win the turn we're casting a bunch of spells and its three mana is better spent doing exactly that.
- Kick does little bits of everything we want: gives treasures, makes tokens, and draws cards, with some random lifegain and scry thrown in. None of these effects are as efficient as the cards that are focused on them, but you're never sad to have Kick. Four creatures on the board is enough to complete Lost Mine of Phandelver for a little benefit, and at five you can work on Dungeon of the Mad Mage and accelerate the combo. When there's seven+ the card's gold.
Out: Gods Willing
- Protection is not as good as indestructible when multiple Pongify/Beast Within-type cards are in the deck. I'm only leaving in Apostle's Blessing as the sole protection from color card because the colorless cost is more relevant than scry when we can already draw a million cards and having some ability to protect from targeted non-destroy removal is good. The hexproof from the blessing is very relevant to protect from opposing targeted removal of any kind, and the lifegain isn't irrelevant either.
- Leyline is too expensive to not do anything itself and the concentration of instant-speed cards is just getting higher. Dizzy Spell for Crop Rotation for Emergence Zone is pretty similar if you are really worried about timing, and the Crop Rotation can be done at instant speed itself or held to fetch Gaea's Cradle when going off.
- The rulings on Storm-Kiln Artist dictate that every copy makes another treasure. Four mana might actually make this win-more considering how many other bonkers mana generators there are, but it's really hard for me to resist how explosive this is. It's an easy way to burn someone out with Electrodominance, hitting more than one player with Regrowth and Eternal Witness.
Out: Mercy Killing
- Using Mercy Killing as a radiated forced sacrifice is bad as we can't protect with indestructibility. Losing instant-speed multiple tokens is a hard sell, though, and it's amazing when Nivmagus Elemental or Flusterstorm are available. This might still make it back in if only to use as a regular removal spell that is also a token generator. You need things to have at least two power to net tokens, but there's accidental synergy with all the random power buffs in here. I've gotta think on it.
- Startle is probably now the best targeted spell in the deck; it's instant speed tokens AND draw for two mana.
- Croak is a targeted copy maker that gets opponents' creatures at three mana with flashback. Don't need to say anything else. It sucks that it doesn't hit its own tokens when you flash it back, but that won't come up much as the flashback isn't necessary so getting opponents' creatures up front is better than getting more of your own with a second cast. Hilariously, it doesn't hit Rapid Hybridization tokens.
Out: Reliquary Tower
- I've never liked Reliquary. It was only in as a remnant from when the deck was slower and we were more likely to run out of mana. Now we should win on the same turn we draw a million cards, and the colorless mana can be relevant when the curve is so low.
- Boseiju, Who Endures is an untapped colored source that is also uncounterable removal for problematic permanents. I don't anticipate ever taking it out.
Out: Rite of Replication
In: Mythos of Illuna
- This should always have been Mythos. Having the option to hit the occasional doozy of a non-creature is pretty great, and while it's rare that you want it the removal is always an option. The kicker on Rite is and always was win-more that just makes the table groan.
Out: Swell of Growth
- Swell is a good card, but one treasure per creature is better than being limited to the number of lands you have. It's possible Scale the Heights is the right cut instead.
5 months ago
Hey, well done budget version of Feather that's less than $50 and nice WIP primer.
Consider adding some budget stables of Commander?
- Arcane Signet --> Precursor Golem
- Command Tower --> 1x Plains
- Sol Ring --> Vance Captain Ripley
- Swiftfoot Boots --> Stave Off
Adding a few other mana rocks can help with color fixing since 30x basic lands is a lot, you're not getting much color fixing from lands. More repeatable treasure sources are another way to ramp/color fix.
- Sudden Breakthrough --> Give No Ground
- Boros Signet --> Fortune Thief
- Star Compass --> Seismic Shift
Dreadhorde Arcanist and Mavinda, Students' Advocate are excellent if you're having to discard instants/sorceries due to hand size. These budget creatures let you cast instants/sorceries from your graveyard and if you control Feather then you get to exile the spell before it goes back to the graveyard. Out of the three options to have no max hand size only Reliquary Tower is good because it's a land. The other two are not worth a card spot just for no max hand size.
With such a low budget dual lands are most difficult to fit in, but there's some other options to consider to cut some basic lands.
- Mistveil Plains --> 1x Plains
- Battlefield Forge --> 1x Plains
- Furycalm Snarl --> 1x Mountain
- Boros Garrison --> 1x Mountain
- Naya Panorama --> 1x Mountain
If you want to add budget infinite win condition combos then Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip can be an enabler for many and I only suggest these because you already have Birgi. Dualcaster Mage can also be an enabler.
- Birgi + Grinning Ignus = infinite casts/ETB of Ignus, infinite storm count.
- Birgi + Ignus + Runaway Steam-Kin = infinite red mana.
- Birgi + Ignus + Grapeshot = infinite damage to each opponent.
- Birgi + Ignus + Impact Tremors = infinite damage to each opponent.
- Birgi + Ignus + Balefire Liege = infinite damage to each opponent.
Grinning Ignus can also infinite combo without Birgi. Ignus + Runaway + Liege or Tremors = infinite damage to each opponent.
Out of all of these cards Balefire Liege is powerful with the Feather strategy: +2/+2 for Feather, source of repeatable burn at opponents, source of repeatable life gain and can be an infinite combo piece.
Heat Shimmer has interaction with Feather to come back to your hand if you copy your own creature. Shimmer can also copy an opponent's creature which can be helpful in multiplayer Commander and it has nice interaction with Mavinda, Students' Advocate who can get it back for Feather to exile. Grapeshot also has interaction with Feather because you can change the target of the storm copies. For this interaction to work however you must target a creature you control with the original Grapeshot for 1 damage then change the target for each storm copy.
Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
Hi, Thank you very much for the analysis which is really very accurate and technically good. The Defiant Strike card is definitely in there, as well as individual 2-color countries! Probably haven't updated the deck yet... sry
Sudden Breakthrough is definitely very interesting because you can push and maybe if you have mana left over you can also save mana (treasure tokens)! Thanks a lot for this
Blacksmith's Skill is also worth considering, 1 mana wards are very useful
I once had Angelfire Ignition on the shortlist but decided against it because it's a sorcery and costs 3 mana but it's still a good card, maybe it'll be tested sometime.
Mavinda, Students' Advocate is also great if a spell come in the graveyard, also it can fly herself and is good for pushing. I'll think about it too. I think I updated the deck correctly last time before Strixhaven ^^.
I actually have Blasphemous Act twice one in the Sliver Horde deck and even one left. Since I don't play with many creatures and also have many protective spells, it would definitely be worth considering, thanks!
Sol Ring is always good ^^ but i need colors to cast my cheap spells.
Yes, I'll rebuild the deck when I have time, but I have to say it's good for the price! It's the most hated together with my Tergrid, God of Fright; Germinate from the deaddeck in our gaming group of 5 people.
It's quick to set up and usually kills the first player between 5-7 turns and mostly with commander damage
Thanks again for the analysis and always upvote!
7 months ago
Hey, nice version of Feather for less than $100 bucks.
Defiant Strike is another instant one drop good card draw with Feather. Sudden Breakthrough, Angelfire Ignition and Blacksmith's Skill are three powerful for their mana costs new budget spells for Feather. Angerfire alone can replace a lot of cards because of so many effects it gives for three mana and flashback is a bonus. Cards Angelfire makes redundant here are Gird for Battle, Desperate Stand, Swift Justice, Sure Strike.
Mavinda, Students' Advocate is nice with instants for Feather letting you cast one on each player's turn from your graveyard and then exile it with Feather. This effect is helpful to cast instants when you don't control Feather to then when you do control Feather get those instants back.
Budget Chain Reaction and more expensive price Blasphemous Act wrecks opponent's creatures and not Feather because you have so much indestructible and color protection. Protection from red prevents damage from Reaction or Act.
Consider more ramp especially staple mana rock Sol Ring? Talisman of Conviction, Star Compass and Sudden Breakthrough will also help with color fixing. Battlefield Forge, Furycalm Snarl and Temple of Triumph are some budget Boros dual lands that could replace a few basic lands.
Some cards to consider cutting are you could cut a few basic lands for more ramp. Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice and Favored Hoplite are the two lesser creatures here. Settle Beyond Reality's effect is not worth five mana at sorcery speed. Martial Glory and Inordinate Rage are subpar pump spells compared to the others here. If you choose to add Angelfire then Gird for Battle, Desperate Stand, Swift Justice, Sure Strike are not really needed.
Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
Cards that I'd suggest that I had or have in a simular deck based around Zada, Hedron Grinder.
Pashalik Mons(pashalik mons instantly dies when copied but all the copies see each other so you get get ton of death triggers)
1 year ago
1 year ago
Sudden Breakthrough is a pump spell that also creates a treasure for each creature you control. Storm-Kiln Artist , although it costs more, is even better in that is does the same thing whenever you cast any single-target spell. Also — Maybe Spawning Breath ? It will likely kill a lot of your tokens, but it replaces them with Eldrazi spawn at instant speed.