|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica: Guild Kit (GK1)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Target creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn.
Target creature gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
Martial Glory Discussion
5 months ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
1 year ago
Firefist Striker is your best 2-drop available. I'd run more of him.
Spark Trooper is the bomb. Perfectly swings a game back in your favor vs other aggro decks with all that sweet lifegain.
In terms of noncreature spells, Boros Charm is so GOOD. Finish off with direct face damage? Check. Make a single, unblocked attacker suddenly scary? Check. Protect from boardwipes? Boros Charm has it all.
1 year ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
2 years ago
@zephyr_chang I like the idea of adding Monastery Mentor to the deck in place of the Fabled Hero as a progression of the go wide strategy. I really enjoy playing the Hero as a very heavy hitter, as if you hit him with 2 Gods Willing and another pump spell, or give him trample and other pumps, he can almost end the game on his own, but Mentor Doesn't have to do it alone, which I like in a list that intends to use Phalanx Leader and Young Pyromancer
I think I prefer Selesnya Charm over Pit Fight As it functions as a trample effect in lieu of removal for smaller creatures, provides a body, or simply is a removal for larger creatures, such as Death's Shadow or Primeval Titan. I might also give Valorous Stance a try.
If I can, I want to try to keep Mutagenic Growth in the list, as paying 2 life to respond to a Bolt, or dumping your stockpile of Growths before damage can be very, very powerful. The spells are what I feel need the most finalizing, and when I played, Martial Glory felt too slow.
As for lands, I'd probably just pull the fast lands, add in a couple more fetches, 10 does sound about right, and just add more fetchable sources. This deck likes to play fast-and-loose with it's life total, much like a Death's Shadow based list or a conventional burn list, in that it doesn't matter how low your life is, if his hits 0 first.
Thanks again for your feedback! I really appreciate it.
2 years ago
As the metagame is very very agressive right now, I'm considering maybe 2x Boros Elite or Monastery Swiftspear to ajust the mana curve, and taking out 1 Anax and Cymede or a Martial Glory. Anyway, it's a work in progress, suggestion are really welcome!
2 years ago
Great soldier themed deck. I see what you are going for and I think you've got a good idea. However there are some cards in this list that aren't that efficient.
Creatures that tap for a temporary +1 bonus for a single target are nice in a draft or limited format, not so much in commander.
-1 Anointer of Champions
-1 Infantry Veteran
The following creatures aren't that great either, but for different reasons.
-1 Benalish Veteran, 3 mana for a 2/2 that only gets a bonus when attacking. Nice but there are better options.
-1 Guardians of Akrasa, the exalted ability works against your battalion ability. Also, can't attack due to defender.
-1 Serene Master, not a soldier, has a kind of cute combat ability, but there are better creatures.
-1 Truefire Paladin, not a soldier, only pumps itself.
I'll start with your maybe board and then some cards you may have over looked.
+1 Catapult Master, really good removal.+1 Daru Warchief, makes most of your other creaturs cheaper.
+1 Field Marshal, like Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon" pumps most of your creatures.
Other creatures to consider:
Doomed Traveler, Loyal Cathar Flip replaces itself when it dies.
Elite Vanguard, a solid 2/1 for 1 mana.
Fencing Ace, Iroas's Champion, Boros Swiftblade are cheap creatures with double strike.
Gideon's Avenger, just keeps getting bigger.
Knight-Captain of Eos, not a soldier, but turns each of those soldier tokens a Holy Day.
Mentor of the Meek, for the card draw ability. Works well with the Daru Warchief and other cheap creatures in your deck.
Precinct Captain, cheap creature with first strike and keeps making more soldier tokens.
Soldier of the Pantheon can be really good in commander games, lots of multi-colored creatures, including commnders.
Thalia's Lieutenant, has a lot of synergy with everything else.
Enough about the creatures. Lets take a look at the support spells. Consider taking out the following:
Curse of Bloodletting, only affects a single opponent. Weak in multi-player games.
Pacifism, only temporarily removes a single threat
Fortify, Martial Glory, Show of Valor, War Flare, Desperate Stand are all weak temporary bonus cards. Not something you want to draw after a Wrath of God resolves.
Accorder's Shield, there are so many better equipments. Trusty Machete, Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Basilisk Collar, and Loxodon Warhammer immediately come to mind, especially for the aggressive nature of this deck.
Have you looked into any ot these:Blaze Commando, not a human, but, makes instants like Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix and Warleader's Helix more effective.
Door of Destinies, since most of your creatures are soldiers.
Martial Coup, is a great board wipe that can also let you play 'catch up'.
Mobilization, to make an army after a board wipe.
There are some cards in your maybe board that i don't think would be that good for your deck.
Ancient Tomb, really good for fast mana in competitive formats, expensive card to buy if you don't have one.
Ancient Ziggurat, nice in a five color creature deck, not really good in this one.
Mystifying Maze is kinda tricky, you could end up helping your opponent when you don't want to.
Gemstone Caverns has the same problem as Ancient Ziggurat and is less consistent.
Aftr taking those land cards out, every other land card in your maybe board should be in the deck if you have them or are planning on getting them.
Please keep in mind that, most of the time, Commander/EDH is a format about endurance not speed. Don't be afraid to drop big threats.
As always, temper these suggestions with your collection and your budget. Feel free to take a look at my decks and let me know what you think.
2 years ago
2 years ago
No data for this card yet.