|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Spirit Horror
Other red creatures you control get +1/+1.
Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever you play a red spell, Balefire Liege deals 3 damage to target player.
Whenever you play a white spell, you gain 3 life.
Balefire Liege Discussion
6 days ago
PhyrexianWombat, Hjaltrohir, I like those suggestions, because Wear / Tear can destroy two permanents for either the same or a lower mana cost than can Orim's Thunder , the damage is rarely relevant, and that card shall trigger both abilities of Balefire Liege , whereas the thunder shall trigger only one.
1 month ago
I have a red/white deck with four copies of Skyknight Legionnaire , which I think is a great card, but, now that Skyknight Vanguard has been printed in Core Set 2020, I am contemplating replacing the previous card with it.
The vanguard has lower power and does not have haste, but it also has a lower mana cost and generates a token every time that it attacks (and, importantly, the tokens do not cease to exist after combat is over), and, since the deck also contains four copies of Balefire Liege , those tokens could become quite powerful.
2 months ago
Thank you for the suggestions!
At this time I'm not using Chandra's Ignition because I wanted to avoid blowing up all the creatures I'm hoping to produce with this version of the deck. If I were running a little more focus on just Feather I would definitely consider.
Balefire Liege is actually a card I have considered, but I'm not sure what to remove for it. Suggestions?
I like Launch the Fleet . I will probably take your other suggestion and remove Puresteel Paladin from the build. I've been considering that one for removal anyhow. I wanted to playtest and see if I got any value out of the card and so far it's been hard to activate the last ability due to the low amount of artifacts I'm running.
2 months ago
3 months ago
I would try to add some more red cards personally to have a more even mana spread as you don't want to ever be locked out of any cards unless you want to only splash red (although red has lots of good cards such as seen below)
THE WITTLE - Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 months ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
4 months ago
VaalVanir Balefire liege also falls under a similar category as Stonehewer in that his mana cost doesn't properly represent his usefulness. Firebrand Archer for instance does 1 damage per spell for 2 mana, and Guttersnipe is 2 damage for 3, which is even better. Taking into account that there are 3 opponents then that is 1.5 and 2 damage per mana respectively. Balefire Liege on the other hand only does 3 damage for 5 mana, which falls off on its own, but it gets worse. His damage only triggers on HALF of your spells, the red ones. And only targets 1 player each time. So all in all his damage is worth .33 per mana, which is at best, 5 times as worse as the others xD
His buffing on the other cards isn't super relevant, but it is nice. Most of the tokens we create tho are FAR more useful for triggering multiple draws off of our cantrips with guys like Mirrorwing Dragon on the field. Out of the several dozen games I played so far, I only won twice by actually attacking with my tokens, and by then their power was irrelevant because they were ludicrously powerful from repeated mentor triggers.
Lastly is his life gain, which is also unfortunately irrelevant. Lifegain in our deck only matters when we have Aetherflux Reservoir on the field, and when that is on the field than more times than not it is already giving us WAY more life than we need in the first place.
All in all this makes him at best, a "win more" card. He most likely has a place in a more casual list, but in a more optimized and cutthroat environment he doesn't quite meet the status quo.
4 months ago
Thank you for your quick response and explanation of not choosing Stonehewer Giant . This bring me to my next idea. It seems that your win conditions are Aetherflux Reservoir , pew pew with Firebrand Archer and Guttersnipe , swing wide with tokens (buffed of course), but not Voltron. With that in mind, would you add Balefire Liege ?
Balefire Liege occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%