|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Chain Reaction deals X damage to each creature, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||Tiddilywinkus , switchkill65 , Unjust_DiabIo , frederiklw , thetechzombie , Nebman227 , TheAlmostHero , NobleSlay3r , lolpatrol , LegendDeer , The_Munchkin , MattN7498 , mziter501 , Cazaz0816 , itheoryz , Ashy , ironax , sneferie , Kleptozaniac , geazykagar , bennybubbles , Swamy|
|Want (29)||pvandy123 , kovellen , tristanishappy , Ariumlegion , samuelianstorm , squirrelmeat , Oskani , TotalSundae , FrogIsCool , Luftwaffle , bpm4 , Hakira , LordOrgasmus , adb_slayer , SamFury , obitus , Wizidross , TheCDC , pphhaazzee , king0fclubs , SpaghettiToastBook , blaze333 , seredward , Theokrit , jtaddeo , frands24 , MasonCole6 , prancingmad , Lythia|
Chain Reaction Discussion
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Love the direction you took your deck! I've also made a $50 budget deck with Thrax called Un-FLICKING-believable!!!!!!!!!! and i've had a lot of fun and success with it.
also Worn Powerstone powers out your commander quite fast (for budget builds).
I've really liked the 2 CMC rocks for my list. They allow you to cast two spells in the same turn much easier than a 3 CMC rock. Like at 5 lands you could cast a 2 CMC rock and a 4 drop, which is pretty good game in my book.
Devastation Tide could get you out of a couple sticky situations, might be better than displacement wave.
If you ever have time to look at mine I'd really appreciate another budget builders opinion on it!
4 weeks ago
Love Purphoros, figure I'd share some of my findings from when I'd play him. When I put Purphoros together, felt like I really ran out of fuel too fast, so I changed up my mana rock and creature selection.
The principle i'm applying here is I'm red, I run out of cards due to my low CMC, so at all points i need to be able to convert my field into more fuel. The last one Coveted Jewel is pretty easy to protect in such a crazy token deck as well.
Other Draw Effects : Prophetic Flamespeaker usually results in two cards, as he has double strike. Both him and Stromkirk Occultist are great, as youre trying to win via damage anyway. Commune with Lava Do Commune with Lava before your turn starts, usually in response to someone moving to their end step. Nets you a bunch of toys next turn. Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip Worse than outpost siege, but from my perspective I just dont care, as I want to draw cards lol.
I noticed there's not a lot of super strong removal or instant speed stuff so I figured I'd drop a few cards for those as well.
Volcanic Offering Volcanic offering in multiplayer usually results in two threats removed, and two lands removed. Seismic Strike (Assuming you just have lands, its 3 mana for 3 damage, and it gets better as time goes on.) Chain Reaction The majority of reds field wipes kind of suck, so im not sure how else to help you here. Less conditional than Aligned Hedron Network, and will hit very hard since you're a token based deck. Starstorm Instant speed, cycling, really good! Disaster Radius and Volcanic Vision are one sided. The last one lets you recur usually a good token spell as well, though ill admit its one of the weaker suggestions.
Although Purphoros is really, really strong against restrictive enchantment decks, I run a lot of enchantment removal and when you run against an azorius deck trying to ruin fun, i always wish I had them in my mono red decks.
Scour from Existence Every time I've cast this, it's saved me. As weird as it sounds and yes its 7 mana, but there are so many times I've been playing where I wished I had this or chaos warp, admittedly Chaos Warp is better, but you can only run one of them :(. Unstable Obelisk Meteor Golem He triggers purphoros too!
1 month ago
You might want more ramp for the early game like Kodama's Reach, Skyshroud Claim, Khalni Heart Expedition. Nature's Lore, Farseek, and Rampant Growth would also be better than Farhaven Elf. Pir's Whim and Hour of Promise are also helpful to find specific lands.
In terms of your sorceries and enchantments, you could cut down on the more expensive ones, and add in removal and boardwipes to help you get to the late game. You can try Blasphemous Act, Chain Reaction, Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Boompile, Nevinyrral's Disk, Pernicious Deed, Terminate, Dreadbore, Attrition, and Hull Breach.
1 month ago
Since Tibor and Lumia are very much centerpieces of your deck, you need to be able to do three things with them. - Get them out reliably - Protect them once they are out - Utilize their unique strengths. You did a good job on point three with providing a lot of ways to get value out of them, mainly by loading up on mass flyers. However, your deck seems to struggle with ramp and protection. As such, I would recommend Izzet Signet, Basalt Monolith, Fire Diamond, Sky Diamond, Talisman of Impulse, Mind Stone, Thought Vessel, Swiftfoot Boots, and Lightning Greaves. As for your spells, in my experience spellslinger decks need two things: Fuel and Hands. Fuel means they need a lot of mana while hands meaning the ability to draw cards effectively. Some good cantrips that could help you are Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Opt, Serum Visions, Cathartic Reunion,Tormenting Voice, Impulse, Mystical Tutor, Whir of Invention and Frantic Search. You also should have a backup plan. In spellslinger decks this means at least two ways to win out of nowhere. Enter the Infinite + Laboratory Maniac+ Omniscience, Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter + Manarocks + Comet Storm Jace, Unraveler of Secrets's ultimate, and my favorite Dualcaster Mage +Fated Infatuation can do miracles. Also for fun, adding in Beacon of Immortality, Blue Sun's Zenith and a few mass draw spells can really kick things up a notch. As for removal Cyclonic Rift, Blasphemous Act, and Chain Reaction are the best ramp spells, while Mystic Confluence is one of the best modal spells ever printed. Tormod's Crypt can destroy decks with ease while Mizzix's Mastery makes life a lot more fun for you. I have never regretted running Sentinel Tower, Aetherflux Reservoir is a massive wincon, The Mirari Conjecture, Swarm Intelligence, and Metallurgic Summonings can win games by themselves. Also look at Jace's Sanctum for more fun and games.
1 month ago
I see what you're going for, and I appreciate it. Here's some thoughts I had that might help:
First off, Chaos Warp is just really good removal, which this deck lacks at the moment.
As nice as Foriysian Totem is as a mana rock/blocker, I think Silent Arbiter would be a better option. It's great for slowing down the game when you need to slow it down, and you can just pop it with one of your artifact destroyers when it's your turn to go in.
If you can afford it, I'd cut Sokenzan Spellblade and replace it with Daretti, Scrap Savant. You have enough artifacts that I think it would be worth the slot. Hell, with the prevalence of artifacts, you could even run Hellkite Tyrant as a surprise, cheeky wincon for when you've not been able to properly set up your wall of attackers.
As amazing as Dualcaster Mage is, idk if he runs enough Instants/Sorceries for it to be worth it. Like yeah you can copy Starstorm or Chain Reaction for the big boy damage, but you could produce a similar result (with repetition even) by running Pyromancer's Goggles. Like yeah you could copy Scour from Existence or Wild Swing as well, but idk.
In my opinion, Dormant Volcano is always a bad land. Mathematically, the benefit of DV is the same as if you ran another basic land. However, I think this deck is actively hurt by its inclusion. You use Snow-Covered Mountain for triggering so many different effects like Goblin Charbelcher and Glacial Crevasses so having to sacrifice one for a land that doesn't even come in untapped is just not good.
Overall, solid list! I like the strategy.
1 month ago
Hey! Daretti is one of my favorite decks at the moment so I'll try and give a couple solid cards that work really well and won't break the bank!
- Since red isn't too great at removing enchantments or creatures (aside from with damage) - Chaos Warp is usually a really solid card in red decks. You have Unstable Obelisk, Spine of Ish Sah, and Universal Solvent but they're all pretty high CMC so this card could be useful for helping deal with problem cards early on!
- Speaking of high CMC, your deck is a slight bit on the heavy side so including some more mana rocks wouldn't be an awful thing. Not sure how great Coveted Jewel is yet; but I think if there is any deck that makes use of it, it would be a Daretti deck. You can sacrifice it with one of your artifact sacrifice outlets (also echoing ANemoAcids recommendation of Krark-Clan Ironworks) or with Daretti's -2 before your opponents get the chance to make use of it. It's basically a Gilded Lotus (which is also the cheapest it has been in a bit because of the reprinting) with card draw attached to it in this deck. Both those cards are high CMC though, so maybe you need cheaper mana rocks like Mind Stone or maybe even Hedron Archive.
- There are WAY too many utility lands that work really well with Daretti, but here are a few of the more budget friendly and useful ones: Sequestered Stash, Inventors' Fair, Tectonic Edge, Hanweir Battlements, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Tectonic Edge, Forge of Heroes, and Mishra's Factory. Obviously you still want some red sources so not all of these are needed, but thought I'd list a few to see if any pique your interests.
- Voltaic Key, Unwinding Clock, and Clock of Omens can all put in a lot of work if your final build has more artifacts that need to tap to activate. With your current list I wouldn't put these as a priority to include, but if you decide to add more mana rocks, these cards put in a lot of work.
- Tormod's Crypt helps against graveyard based decks and is a free artifact for Daretti to sacrifice.
- Squee, Goblin Nabob lets you use Daretti's +2 ability to discard him, draw a card, and then return him back from your graveyard; netting you one card every time you do this.
- Chain Reaction is another cheap boardwipe mono-red has access to. Almost always acts as a second Blasphemous Act that you have to cast for 4.
- Mirage Mirror is just an all-around solid card. No special broken synergies (that I can think of) or anything fancy like that; just a really good card.
- If you're using Golem Artisan for evasion purposes, I would prefer cards like Whispersilk Cloak or something like that due to the extra protection it gives. If you're using it to give haste, I think cards like Anger, Hanweir Battlements, or Flamekin Village would be better. If you like the card for its flexibility that's fine too, it just feels like a steep mana cost to pay for its abilities.
- For Cogwork Assembler I like cards like Flameshadow Conjuring, Minion Reflector, or my personal favorite Mirrorworks. They can't create tokens of cards that are already on the board the same way Cogwork Assembler can, but the mana investment is much less and, in the case of Mirrorworks, you get to keep the token.
- Bosh, Iron Golem and Bogardan Hellkite are both really high CMC for what they do. I don't have any direct replacements for these, but I'd keep an eye on these two and see how they feel when you play them. It might be worth switching them out for mana rocks or something like that.
- Finally, Tuktuk the Explorer. Similar to the above cards, I don't really have a good direct replacement for this card. There isn't anything inherently wrong with the card, I'm just not a fan that it has to be destroyed before it synergizes with our deck. Before it's destroyed it's just a 1/1 goblin that we have very limited ways of destroying ourselves. Also once its gone, we can't bring it back except with Feldon of the Third Path.
I know I've rambled enough, but I'll close it out with some powerhouse semi-budget (under $25) cards to consider in case you want to splurge on a couple cards:
- Mycosynth Lattice would be the #1 pickup in my book. Price drop due to reprint and synergizes AMAZINGLY with Daretti.
- Crucible of Worlds lets you recur cards like Strip Mine, Tectonic Edge, and Ghost Quarter while also letting you toss lands to Daretti's +2 and still play them (also the cheapest it has been in a while due to recent reprint).
- All Is Dust is usually a mostly one-sided boardwipe. It feels like a balanced Cyclonic Rift made for artifact decks.
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle has been rising in price lately, but is a great land to throw into mono-red decks; especially if you end up getting Crucible of Worlds. Probably the least recommended of the 4 cards, but still good enough to mention.
2 months ago
Braid of Fire is definitely tempting. Xantcha is an amazing sink for this card. My only concern would be how long the game lasts. Two mana is such a low investment that it might be worth putting into the deck anyways. Also would make a stronger case for Pyrohemia getting added back into the deck too!
As far as Vampiric Link goes, I think you're spot-on with your analysis. I don't think the lifegain offsets the potential of getting 2-for-1'd and once my opponents know that I'm gaining life for every Xantcha activation; they will probably stop doing it. It also would be a nonbo with 3 cards currently in the deck (Sulfuric Vortex, Havoc Festival, and Rampaging Ferocidon). Along the same line of thinking, I considered adding Phyresis into the deck. However, since it would be the only source of infect, she would either need to attack the same enemy twice or have someone pump 15 mana into her activated ability before she (or the enchantment) gets removed. Alternatively there could be a damage doubler on the battlefield, but I think that's bordering on thinking too wishfully.
Adding in Braid of Fire is really tempting but also hard to slot in. As I mentioned in the update section, I'm trying to add more card draw, another boardwipe (Pyrohemia or Chain Reaction?), and a land. You could somewhat make an argument for Braid of Fire being card draw with Xantcha, but that might be stretching it too much. I'm also looking for cuts in the deck so that I can include those categories of cards; but I love every card that's currently in there. Thinking Crown of Doom even though it encourages attacks and potentially turns Xantcha into a 3 turn kill instead of a 5 turn. Let me know what you think!