Creature — Elemental
(Red), Return Grinning Ignus to its owner's hand: Add (2)(Red) to your mana pool. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grinning Ignus Discussion
1 month ago
1 month ago
Grinning Ignus is a mini-combo in and of itself, you just need your Commander out.
Pay R: Deal 2 Dmg to Each Opponent.
Its great for dumping mana into to finish opponents off.
1 month ago
I don't personally know any crappy goblin in the deck. I have trimmed the fat from this deck over the past year, and when I play it all of my creatures do something important, if not vital, for me winning.
Even if a bulk of creatures are 1/1's, I have lots of anthems and cards like Door of Destinies/Coat of Arms and such. Evasion is very easy to get in this deck as well, because a large number of goblins grant all my goblins some form of evasion or I play Goblin War Drums.
Board wipes are actually another strong suit in this deck. Since my avg. CMC is 2.75, the deck is very resilient and I am able to reestablish massive board states in no time, and the other players are still behind which allows me to take advantage of them. Thanks for dropping by and lending your concerns!
I tested Grinning Ignus for a possible infinite combo, but ended up passing because it was too much work for a combo. As for Norin the Wary, I do love his ability, but I personally like to get some damage out of my creatures, and he wouldn't allow that nor get the buffs from my counter-granting cards unfortunately...
I appreciate these though, and they are definitely good for a Purph deck, but for how I pilot mine I don't think I would like them much. Thanks for stopping by with suggestions! :)
1 month ago
1 month ago
oh, that's a tough one... depends a little on how you want to win, but a dedicated combo deck would be looking for haste enablers, every 1-drop mana dork like Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise and Fyndhorn Elves, every mana rock that taps for at least as much mana as its cost i.e. Sol Ring plus the ones you have already excluded and Basalt Monoliths, Burning-Tree Emissary and it's variants (i think there's one in aether revolt, Priest of Urabrask...), also Wild Cantor, Abundant Growth et co, and every red ritual you can get (almost...): Battle Hymn, Desperate Ritual, Mana Geyser, Pyretic Ritual... + ALL THE BIG DRAW SPELLS IN GREEN AND ALL THE WHEELS IN RED!
That's one way, but it's very inconsistent.
The other thing you can do is to have it as a subtheme and create shenanigans with cards like Panharmonicon, Mana Echoes, Grinning Ignus and just flicker/replay dudes or stuff to up your storm count and mana. Then play Dragonstorm. This needs some decent tutoring and good set-up, but is WAAAAAY better than what I was talking above :p
always include Mana Geyser it's an awesome card in multiplayer :p 12 mana on turn 5 is sort of like the norm output of that one :p
1 month ago
- Quest for Pure Flame (building it up is really easy and busting it makes Purphoros even scarier for a turn)
- Firecat Blitz (cast it the first time to take someone out an flashback it to end the rest of the table)
- Elemental Appeal (9 mana for 14 damage after someone has cleared the board isn't too shabby)
- Grinning Ignus<- please add this ( + to get it started, for each time you want to do it again and you have a neat mana dump for Purphoros)
- Emrakul's Hatcher (nets you 4 creatures and mana refund)
- Skittering Invasion (same idea, with Purphoros out it's a neat 10 damage spell that offers mana refund)
- Orochi Hatchery (dump some mana in it and you are good to go)
- Trading Post for the goats mostly
- Spawning Pit recycling tokens is good for the environment.
- Portcullis locks the battlefield with 2 creatures total (note that it still allows ETBs to happen before exiling the cards, so it basically works as a shell until someone destroys it... and you get the ETBs once more)
Clear a board
- Magmaquake (boardwipe at instant speed... requires a lot of mana, but it shouldn't be too hard)
- Sudden Demise (allows you to get rid of those pesky hexproof shenanigans)
- Boompile (unreliable? Yes. But scary nevertheless. Might stop/slow down people from building up a mighty boardstate)
- Dormant Volcano (neat artwork, nice effect)
- Khalni Gem allows you to replay 2 lands (consider it a 2 mana investment since it costs 4, but gives 2 back immediately)
- Burnished Hart is underrated.
- Choose three: Hedron Archive, Commander's Sphere, Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone, Sol Ring
- Hoarding Dragon (4/4 flying for isn't bad. And if/when it dies you get the treasure)
- Staff of Nin (an old favorite of mine and allows you to ping some damage)
- Avaricious Dragon (just don't cast it when you have a full hand and you should be fine with a 4cmc 4/4 flyer and some extra draw)
- Loreseeker's Stone (drawing 3 for ~ is quite good)
What I don't like/What to cut
- Dragon Mage
- Goblin Chirurgeon (you'd be better off with a
- Goblin Sharpshooter
- Goblin Warchief (cost reduction part is fine, but he isn't all that useful otherwise)
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (i don't see you dealing with combat damage all that much)
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is great, really, not indispensable for its price.
- Knollspine Dragon (IMO it's a terrible card for its mana cost and effect... and 4+USD? WTF)
- Magus of the Wheel
- Lightning Crafter
- Warchief Giant (yes, myriad is great, but he's so fragile...)
- Anger of the Gods (great card... in other formats)
- Mana Geyser (temporary mana isn't that good unless you have some place to dump it...)
- Goblin Bombardment isn't good enough
- Possibility Storm (? Is it there just as a disruption tool?)
- Battle Hymn (same thing as mana geyser. Even worse considering it depends on you having at least 3 creatures to generate any mana)
- Seething Song
- Smash to Smithereens (the damage is neglectable IMO. I'd rather go with Smash simply because it draws you a card back)
- Elixir of Immortality (is this even necessary here?)
- Vedalken Orrery also not needed IMO
3 months ago
Brighthearth Banneret, Crackleburr, Eyes of the Wisent, Grinning Ignus, Flamekin Harbinger, Ingot Chewer, Liege of the Tangle, Incandescent Soulstoke, Living Hive, Mulldrifter, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Smokebraider, Wilderness Elemental , Stigma Lasher, Spawnwrithe, I looked up all the modern Elementals and these are the ones I found relevant.Noticed that some of the Larger Elementals could have a potential Through the Breach effect.