|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Warrior
Whenever Thorn Lieutenant becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token.
: Thorn Lieutenant gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
Thorn Lieutenant Discussion
2 months ago
Some sideboard suggestions that might be useful: Carnage Tyrant , if it's not too expensive, would be good against control as a 1 or 2 of. Path of Discovery might be good in conjunction with Shapers' Sanctuary to give all of your creatures a lot of resilience and card draw. Vivien Reid is extremely good against some decks, like Izzet Drakes. Blinding Fog helps against some damage-based boardwipes and removal, but it might be too expensive (I miss Heroic Intervention !).
God-Eternal Rhonas is a really good lategame finisher that might be better than End-Raze just because it's cheaper (for tutoring with Finale). I also feel like people forget about Thorn Lieutenant as a really good elf in standard!
3 months ago
I think that you are half way there for a strong elf counter deck. Evolution Sage , Incubation Druid and Biomancer's Familiar (for multiple adapt effects on your Druid and Guardian) can really get the counters flowing. Hadana's Climb Flip could add to this theme, then Simic Ascendancy for an extra win-con.
To make room for the counter theme, the first cards that I would drop are Thorn Lieutenant , Pelt Collector and Chart a Course . In my Simic Elf Counter deck, I ended up dropping Elvish Clancaller for Evolution Sage .
3 months ago
Nice! I can see why you wreck control but die to aggro however. Trouble is all of your cards individually (except maybe Quench ) I'd describe as anti-control and not great in faster matchups. Taken together however and you have a real problem.
is notorious for having hardly any removal so my suggestion would be to find alternatives to the cards you currently have that fill the same roll but with a slightly greater anti-aggro slant. For example, Chemister's Insight -> Dryad Greenseeker and Pteramander -> Thorn Lieutenant .
3 months ago
musicman3310 - I agree. I have put 3x Lava Coil instead of 2x Merfolk Branchwalker and Banefire for the sake of having more creature removal. And finally decided to put 3x Rekindling Phoenix in, instead of 3x Skarrgan Hellkite . Don't know how much good this idea was as I have not tested it yet.
Feridia Thank you for suggestion, but I think my Domri, Chaos Bringer fits in my deck a little bit more. I really like the idea of either having something enter the battlefield with two (or even more) instances of Riot or drawing for creatures.
I think that Dire Fleet Daredevil will be best left in the sideboard for me as I think that it's a very situational card for this type of deck. As for the Thorn Lieutenant , I'm not sure it fits this deck more than Merfolk Branchwalker , who could be 3/2 instead of 2/3 or at least give me a land.
Thank you all for your suggestions though, much appreciated.
4 months ago
4 months ago
Hey, you asked my opinion. One time I read about consistence of decks composition. There is a lot of single copy cards, this make the game very unpredictible for yourself, lack of a solid strategy. My advice is to focus in more 3 and 4 copies of a single card and lass 1 and 2. But is a great selection o of card for a Gruul deck.
- Llanowar Elves , keep 4 of it.
- Dire Fleet Daredevil is a good card, but situational, 2 of then if you want to keep.
- Thorn Lieutenant is a good creature, good effect. But more oriented for a token deck, i would not put in this deck.
- Captain Lannery Storm takeout, have no synergy.
- Deathgorge Scavenger same as above.
- Gruul Spellbreaker best creature Gruul, 4 of them.
- Reclamation Sage and Thrashing Brontodon have the same objective. If I would choose Thrashing Brontodon . But have you see the Cindervines ? Is a good adittion, but I wold keep in the Side. For a enchant/artifact more oriented deck. Well, would use 2 or 3 of them if is that the case.
- Now the 4 cost I would consider to run few of them, would slowdown to much the deck.
- Dagger Caster is a good card, but would take it out.
- Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma you dont have that much of 4 power or more in the deck, would take out or increse the number Goreclaw for 3 and put more 4 power creatures. But I dont think is the case.
- Grand Warlord Radha good, not more them 2. since is legendary,
- Nullhide Ferox Very nice! 2 of Him wold make a great addition.
- Ripjaw Raptor Good for a draw. 2 of them but the other 4 creatures are better.
- Vine Mare is a good creature, against black is a unblockeable tank. But same as above, we have better creatures.
- 5, is a liitle mor harder to put on field. but...
- Charging Monstrosaur I love this guy, I would put 3 of them, if you can. Haste, Trample, maybe 6/6 with riot. Perfect.
- Demanding Dragon lets stay wtih only 3 creatures with 5 cost? Só choose betwew the Mostrosaur ou this little Dragon guy here.
- Ravager Wurm 1 is enogh, a nice surprise if you can cast it.
- Lava Coil Good removal, 3 of them, 3 of Lightning Strike or 3 of Thrash / Threat , they have pretty much the same cost and remove cards. Lava Coil is solid, Lightning Strike is flexible and Thrash / Threat work out with yours creatures power. I would choose one of them. Maybe leave one on side.
- Act of Treason I dont think that is a good card to the deck.
- Fight with Fire Great, 2 is a good number for it. can takeout a lot of threats.
- Response / Resurgence , woith Fight with Fire this is a little unecessary. Have a cheap cost, but is situational. Is a instant, make a little more flexible. If you keep it 3 of them would be nice.
- Rhythm of the Wild Put 3 of it, please xD.
- Domri, Chaos Bringer and Vivien Reid . Choose one and keep 2 of it. I wold go with Domri.
4 months ago
I would take out Ravager Wurm and instead I would recommend to try Thorn Lieutenant which is a pain in a butt for mono red. Maybe drop Merfolk Branchwalker for 4 of those. Try it out, I had some success with these.
6 months ago
Thorn Lieutenant occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.1%