|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Soldier
Heroic -- Whenever you cast a spell that targets Akroan Crusader, put a 1/1 red soldier creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Akroan Crusader Discussion
1 week ago
Essentially, Faithless Looting is doing nothing for you and the scry 1 from Titan's Strength for Miracle's.Maybe consider Akroan Crusader and Expedite, Built to Smash is also very good. Asssault Strobe as well...Combat Celebrant is also really good Searing Blaze instead of Faithless Looting, maybe Magmatic Insight or Tormenting Voice, Reforge the Soul maybe, Bedlam Reveler and Renegade Tactics Are all considerable cards.
Sorry I didnt say individual comments for each cards, but I just want you to have a better deck.
3 weeks ago
SCORE: 2 | 1 COMMENT | 190 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
3 weeks ago
2 months ago
Those cards are useful... on the first turn they are used, I find first strike to be more effective in the long haul. I recently removed Foundry Street Denizen as the combo with Akroan Crusader was a little flimsy and it dies unless you've used an enchantment on it (more often than not you pour enchantments onto the first creature you get out). With that in mind Bold Impaler was a better fit to solo play your field.
2 months ago
Mine was Mono and scrounged together from cards I had cracked from packs, and picked out of the singles pile at my local shop.
24 Lands (all Mountains), 24 Creatures, and 12 Non-Creature spells, as per online instructions.
The centrepiece was the first card I ever bought, Stormbreath Dragon. It cost me a grand total of AU$15. About US$20.
It also had some copies of Act of Treason, which my friend used to HATE.
It won a few games, despite me missing almost every single trigger!
3 months ago
APPLE01DOJ. Bomat Courier is terrible compared to Monastery Swiftspear and Akroan Crusader. You there is no insane ability that triggers when you target it (when you play a buff spell) or when you play a non-creature spell (a burn spell)
4 months ago
5 months ago
Part of my problem with Heroic comes from my problem with Theros in general. It's just a very meh block that might have done better if it wasn't caught between RtR and Tarkir.
As I wrote, I just couldn't shake off that feeling of ambivalence that came with going through the block again. And I'm feeling drained just trying to defend this position.
But building a Hero, as you point out, doesn't quite work as the Heroic only comes into play when the spell resolves. If it had been worded as being a passive boost if affected by an Aura and at the same time, an active trigger for being the target of an instant or sorcery, I would see that.
But it's not. It's a passive bump whose design space got taken over by Prowess, and Prowess-like effects.
Another commentator off-site replied thusly (crossposted for completeness sake):
- Yes, strive was deliberately designed to combo with heroic. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/incredible-journey-part-2-2014-04-14-0 - See here.
- Also heroic was designed to reward Auras and building up a hero over time, not to to enable hyper aggro deck. While aggressive, its nowhere near as fast as landfall.
- What was other mechanic were you going to address besides Prowess?
- Heroic is a four on the storm scale, the same as monstrous (which came back in Conspiracy 2) . And in a 1 block model where every large set is supposed to have a returning mechanic, I expect to see Heroic come back someday.Prowess gives blue a combat based keyword which opens up a ton of design space...
- Prowess also gives a blue-red keyword overlap.
- Prowess was play tested with variable numbers and anything higher than +1/+1 and was found to be too good.Prowess that gives the creature a +1/+1 counter was placed at rare in Ixalan, presumably for limited power level reasons.
- Prowess gives less of a boost, but considering the sheer lack of deckbuilding restrictions you need to use it combined with the risk of being 2-1 with every trigger, this completely fair. Heroic has a bigger cost, and thus gets better boosts.
- And in Dragon of Tarkir the Jeskai had a secondary non-named mechanic of effects that trigger off casting noncreature spells. So yes, Prowess effects that function like Heroic Exist... (White pumps your team, a blue enchantment that makes tokens, a Dragon that gives itself +2/+2 until end turn as double prowess.).
- Contrast Akroan Crusader with Monastery Mentor and Young Pyromancer at why power creeping prowess triggers is a bad idea and why WoTC only made the +1/+1 until end of turn variant evergreen. Prowess having a fixed and limited output is good....
- As was choosing to make Prowess evergreen.
- "Outside of of the block it ran into larger problems where Creatures don't matter" is not going to stop it from being re-used for limited play and probably won't effect it in standard any worse than it already was in a format with heroes downfall and ultimate price/murderous cut.
And then another person replied:
- Nitpicking the nitpick. The storm scale only refers to how likely a mechanic is to return in a standard legal set. Being printed in Conspiracy 2 doesn't really count.