Kogla, the Titan Ape
Legendary Creature — Ape
When Kogla, the Titan Ape enters the battlefield, it fights up to one target creature you don’t control.
Whenever Kogla attacks, destroy target artifact or enchantment defending player control.
: Return target Human you control to its owner’s hand. Kogla gains indestructible until end of turn.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Kogla, the Titan Ape occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Kogla, the Titan Ape Discussion
3 days ago
I have not updated my Xenagos since exactly a year ago, so some of these suggestions do not take into account cards that have been released since then such as Jeska(i?)s will and battle mammoth which should find their way into this deck. Now onto my specific suggestions....
Berserk - Yes, block Malignus with your 1/1, let's see how that turns out. Also to be used for politics as you can target an opponent's creature (such as their commander) who is attacking another opponent. This would be to replace Temur Battle rage IMO
Deflecting Swat - I'll say it once, I'll say it again. In Xenagos, your biggest issue is removal. You spend 5+ mana per beater in the hopes that they don't save removal. Most of your draw like hunters insight, return of the wildspeaker, momentous fall (although to a lesser extent) is based on the fact that you need a creature to target and if they remove your creature, you are shit out of luck. By adding swat, you can bluff while tapped out, protecting your creature allowing it to most likely survive to your next turn in order to cast one of the above mentioned draw spells. Moreover, this counters counterspells and redirects targeted removal, targeted draw, targeted extra turns, etc.... so much utility in 1 card. This is perhaps the second/third most powerful card in a Xenagos deck IMO
Heroic Intervention - Protection
Greater Good - THE MOST POWERFUL CARD IN ANY XENAGOS DECK. IF YOU DO NOT ADD THIS, THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO DISCUSS. THE SHEER VALUE OF THIS ALONE IS ASTRONOMICAL. Imagine casting a 6/6 beater, Xenagos doubles it to 12, they attempt to remove it, since it was going to die anyways, you sacrifice it to the "greater good" in order to draw 12 and discard 3. This doesn't include the fact that you can berserk your own creature prior to sacrificing it as well
Rancor - Nice to have, not necessary. Makes your 1/1 dorks 6 power with Xenagos, makes your beaters better. Hell, enchant it on an opponent's creature for politics
Sylvan Library - Nice to have, not necessary, but in Xenagos, it pays to have draw that isn't creature reliant.
Green Sun's Zenith - Tutor to the battlefield, yes please! While limited to green, it still is worth it. Getting what you need, when you need it.
Harmonize - Draw not based on creatures is nice to have
Life's Legacy - Similar to momentous fall, although easier to cast on the same turn as a beater. Do note that it suffers from the same issue as momentous fall, sacrificing as an additional cost to cast means be wary of the blue player. I like it, but some don't
Nissa's Pilgrimage - Ramp, more Turn 3 ramp enables a more consistent Turn 4 Xenagos. While we would love a Turn 3 Xenagos, the choice is between consistency or early on advantage, I choose consistency, but to each their own.
Skyshroud Claim - Gets 2 forests (note some cards are both forests and mountains) and brings them in untapped, so it helps with tempo, something Xenagos decks greatly lack. Would add this over nissa's pilgramage, although I like both if you can fit them
Ancient Tomb - Ramp
Bonders' Enclave - Draw
Turntimber, Serpentine Wood - Land when you need it, a potential creature when you don't. I like the flexibility for 3 life
Yavimaya Hollow - Most useful but most expensive, protecting your creature from removal is what this deck needs.
Elder Gargaroth - Will almost always be draw, but I love the utility
Inferno Titan - Removal
I couldn't suggest more than what's allowed by tappedout, but let me know what you think of each suggestion. If you want ideas for cuts, lmk
1 week ago
MagicMarc Thanks for all your tips. Both Kogla, the Titan Ape and Thorn Mammoth could work, I will probably try them out. I think in this kind of deck they are better than Feasting Troll King . The Vivien is unfortunately a little bit out of my budget.
In Search of Greatness is a really interesting tip that could actually work. I might try it out.
Right now, I kind of finished the deck with two Battle Mammoth as the top of the curve. I think they could work but i will try Kogla and/or Thorn Mammoth in its place. We'll see.
Probably the weakest place in the deck now is the 4 cmc lineup. I have Garruk and then I didn't know what els so now I'm runnning two Predatory Wurm which are okay but not great. Maybe I find a better 4 drop like a two of. That would be nice...
1 week ago
Other suggestions would be: Kogla, the Titan Ape . It gets trample from your enchantment. Between the fight trigger and if it's declared as an attacker you can get rid of 2 permanents before blockers get declared. You don't have humans for the indestructible part but it's still a decent alternative. Another good one is Thorn Mammoth , especially synergizes with your Lovestruck Beast , Old-Growth Troll , and Garruk, Unleashed . Getting fight triggers off of 1/1 tokens or a Garruk beast token can really mess up an opponent's game state. Feasting Troll King is another big hitter that returns to play 1 time if you do not support the food stuff.
3 weeks ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
3 months ago
3 months ago
Robobro72: Fierce Empath is probably a permanent fixture of the deck. Sorry for the late response! But yeah, Fierce has been in the deck since its creation and has enables countless wins. It's always had 3 targets, Great Oak Guardian, Regal Force, and Woodland Bellower were the original three. Upon Ashaya's printing, it removed every artifact line in favor of more creature reliance, thus not needed Genesis Hydra loops, and since Genesis Hydra was ideally cast as the hidden 4th 6 cmc creature I slotted in Kogla, the Titan Ape. The Ape comes with his own line, and removal of a lot of relevant threats. It was for a brief period that Fierce Empath actually had 4 targets (Sep 22-Nov 23).
To remain current with the list and ask me questions and get responses closer to real-time join the Discord, we have an enthusiastic community with chibi Yeva emojis!
3 months ago
Might want to look into adding these cards for combat step potency. Berserkers' Onslaught, Aggravated Assault, Domri, Anarch of Bolas, Savage Ventmaw, Rampaging Baloths, Skarrgan Hellkite, End-Raze Forerunners, terrastodon, Kogla, the Titan Ape, Scourge of the Throne
And these cards for card-draw and mana ramp Beast Whisperer, Garruk's Uprising, Castle Garenbrig, Llanowar Elves, Temple of Abandon, Gruul Turf, Sheltered Thicket, Cragcrown Pathway Flip, Return of the Wildspeaker, Elvish Mystic, Hunter's Insight, Ilysian Caryatid, Guardian Project, Bonders' Enclave, Nylea, Keen-Eyed,Lifecrafter's Bestiary
And the cuts I were thinking of could be Vivien, Champion of the Wilds, Spearbreaker Behemoth, Giant Adephage, Spidersilk Armor, Mistcutter Hydra, Shifting Ceratops, Sunder Shaman, Voracious Hydra, Rhonas's Monument, Blood Mist
This are just my first initial thoughts on the deck.
3 months ago
Three Visits > Rampant growth
Green Sun's Zenith - Tutor
Harmonize - Not needed but nice to have, Xenagos decks struggle with card draw and this helps mitigate that weakness.
Eternal Witness - Recursion
Kogla, the Titan Ape - Removal, utility with E-Wit and others
Shaman of Forgotten Ways - Ramp + Potential wincon
Elder Gargaroth - Really good, fav 5 drop beater in Xenagos hands down