Creature — Treefolk Shaman
When Woodfall Primus enters the battlefield, destroy target noncreature permanent.
Persist (When this creature is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
|Want (6)||Galvain , Anikami , DawnbringerRB , Facelezz , Nagash4life , mvas|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Phyrexian Altar + Woodfall Primus + Zameck Guildmage
- Blasting Station + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Woodfall Primus
- Ashnod's Altar + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Woodfall Primus
- Renata, Called to the Hunt + Viscera Seer + Woodfall Primus
- Carrion Feeder + Renata, Called to the Hunt + Woodfall Primus
- Blasting Station + Renata, Called to the Hunt + Woodfall Primus
- Altar of Dementia + Renata, Called to the Hunt + Woodfall Primus
- Phyrexian Altar + Renata, Called to the Hunt + Woodfall Primus
- Ashnod's Altar + Renata, Called to the Hunt + Woodfall Primus
- Juniper Order Ranger + Viscera Seer + Woodfall Primus
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Woodfall Primus occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Woodfall Primus Discussion
3 days ago
You play only 2 fetches and 0 dual lands. You have no use for Chromatic Lantern or Thran Dynamo. Change them to Mana Crypt and Mana Vault. Also Woodfall Primus, Steel Hellkite, Solemn Simulacrum and Yavimaya Elder are not doing much. Putrefax, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Frantic Search, Fathom Mage, Entomb, Reanimate, Abrupt Decay, Assassin's Trophy are missing. You have only TWO instant speed removal and only one counterpell and you call this competetive?
1 month ago
yeah same concept as using ashnod's... just one extra card for the combo. I prefer sac outlets especially with Academy Rector being in the deck. also, Woodfall Primus which is still in the deck for some reason...
1 month ago
1 month ago
Yeah, the list I threw out at first is a little clunky, because I didn't see the Protean Hulk plan. If that's the level of power your table is playing at, efficiency matters.
Here's my pitch for Puppeteer Clique and Woodfall Primus with Renata, Called to the Hunt. As you upgrade the deck, you're going to want altars- Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Altar of Dementia, Greater Good, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. They can all do degenerate things in general, but just win the game by reanimating a persist creature. Having infinite sac combos built into dorks like Putrid Goblin, Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, and Viscera Seer also seems good.
To go with that, keeping the reanimation curve low would be most powerful. I can understand the price tag on Unearth being out of reach for a bit and I see Victimize and Stitch Together, but no Animate Dead or Apprentice Necromancer. You only need the one turn to go off, after all!
1 month ago
Oh, also, now I see the game plan. I'd also add in some redundancy with other persist creatures and +1/+1 ETB combo pieces. Namely, Ivy Lane Denizen + Renata, Called to the Hunt and Putrid Goblin + Puppeteer Clique (basically does a 1-turn Rise of the Dark Realms impression), Rendclaw Trow, and Woodfall Primus (not a bad Worldfire impression if you have a decent board!)
2 months ago
2 months ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
2 months ago
Austin_Smith_of_Cards nyxbloom seems to me worth the try: it is a very good target for Natural Order and it will be less likely to be removed with respect to Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger . I think I will try it instead of Regal Behemoth . Furthermore, Nylea's Intervention is another card worth trying. For 4 mana it let's you get Gaea's Cradle and Deserted Temple . I still haven't decided yet whether it is better to take out Traverse the Ulvenwald or Worldly Tutor .
FYI, I am currently playing The Great Henge instead of Woodfall Primus and Collector Ouphe instead of Bramble Sovereign . The first swap is due to the fact that woodfall is very heavy on our curve and it doesn't provide much value for that cost. Speaking of the other swap, Bramble is good but it was actually the only flex slot I could think of. The choice was between it or Titania, Protector of Argoth , and the latter provides us more value. Ouphe is a nonbo with our mana rocks and with Birthing Pod , but it is far more troublesome for a lot of other decks so this is why I am currently trying it. I will let you know :)