Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Thalia and The Gitrog Monster
Legendary Creature — Human Horror
First strike, deathtouch
You may play an additional land on each of your turns.
Creatures and nonbasic lands your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.
Whenever Thalia and The Gitrog Monster attacks, sacrifice a creature or land, then draw a card.
3 weeks ago
wallisface, I agree with that, and some particular examples of my own are Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer, who is far too powerful for one mana, and Thalia and The Gitrog Monster, a card that I absolutely love, but definitely is too powerful for four mana.
4 months ago
I don't see the problem with this deck. Not at all. However, I have some suggestions to make it even more "fun" for Kevin:
- The Filth and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth combo seems like a fun addition. Not only do I recommend Urborg (and, for that matter, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth in general for decks, but this one means your creatures won't be getting blocked. (Good luck to your opponents!)
- For more things that bring friends with them, you could also think about Junji, the Midnight Sky and Priest of Fell Rites as other reanimators; I get good mileage out of them. Athreos, God of Passage is a sacrifice pay-off I've found to be quite noxious for some people to deal with, and I also quite like Yawgmoth, Thran Physician as a sacrifice outlet.
- Yosei, the Morning Star, Archon of Cruelty, Archfiend of Despair, Questing Beast, The Gitrog Monster, Thalia and The Gitrog Monster, and Kogla, the Titan Ape are nice payoff creatures I recommend. Drana and Linvala and Linvala, Keeper of Silence can also be supremely annoying for your opponents to try to deal with, which is also why I highly recommend them.
- Sylvan Library would combo extremely well with Underrealm Lich and Abundance, but it can be an expensive card cost-wise.
- If you do find your mana ramping to quite high totals, Genesis Wave is well worth considering.
- In decks like this, I still don't feel comfortable without some pinpoint removal tools. My favorites are Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking, Assassin's Trophy, and Swords to Plowshares, but this can be also dependent on your playgroup. I might also recommend the typical suite of tutors (for you, Enlightened Tutor, Worldly Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Diabolic Intent, and Expedition Map would be at the top of my list), but that's maybe less important.
- Field of the Dead is a close-to-auto-include for me in a deck like this, but don't get it just for this.
5 months ago
Awesome dude! I am also working on Dragon Ball deck aswell and found yours looking for inspiration! I want to use one of the new cards maybe Thalia and The Gitrog Monster as Goku and Vegeta. I thought using Wyleth, Soul of Steel as Future Trunks was a great idea and I was bummed I hadn't thought of it!
5 months ago
also regarding creatures to keep: Blightbelly Rat Blightwidow Bloated Contaminator Branchblight Stalker Cankerbloom Fynn, the Fangbearer God-Eternal Rhonas Hand of the Praetors Hooded Blightfang Ichor Rats Ichorspit Basilisk Necrogen Rotpriest Pestilent Syphoner Phyrexian Hydra Poison-Tip Archer Scheming Aspirant Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon Thalia and The Gitrog Monster Toxic Nim Tyrranax Atrocity Tyrranax Rex Venomous Brutalizer Verdant Sun's Avatar Whispering Specter Evolution Sage Norn's Choirmaster Raven Guild Master Tekuthal, Inquiry Dominus
cutting Bortuk Bonerattle; Copper Longlegs; Deathmist Raptor; Ezzaroot Channeler; Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma; Ravenous Sailback; Shifting Ceratops; Topiary Stomper; Tranquil Frillback; Faceless Devourer; Mage Hunter; Spiteful Returned; Suq'Ata Assassin. probably could do with a few more creature cuts, especially if I want to throw some of the planeswalkers I found for the maybe board in there.
5 months ago
One more thing!!
As far as cuts go, anything EXCEPT FOR the following should be cut in favor of a more streamlined strategy with some of the pieces that have been mentioned imo:
Blightbelly Rat Bloated Contaminator Cankerbloom Fynn, the Fangbearer Phyrexian Hydra Scheming Aspirant Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon Thalia and The Gitrog Monster Invasion of Ikoria Flip Chromatic Lantern Grafted Exoskeleton Snake Cult Initiation Carnivorous Canopy Drown in Ichor Infectious Bite Putrefy Tainted Strike Command Tower Inkmoth Nexus Karn's Bastion
All of these are great picks that can easily slot into the deck's rework.
7 months ago
7 months ago
Thank you Poly_raptor! I'm still getting play-test reps in to get a feel for consistency and all that. Definitely feels strong to say the least. I've played aristocrats decks before, so am more familiar with those elements of the deck. This is my 2nd attempt at something Landfall related, after making a concept build for Thalia and The Gitrog Monster
In regards to the combos, I'm trying to find that sweet spot of them requiring about 3 cards to be streamlined enough to reliably pull off, but not super busted that my friends can't interact with them. I also want to make sure they're not super convoluted for me to remember and assemble haha.
In regards to Abundance, I think it could definitely have a place in a deck like this. I imagine most Zimone and Dina lists will be running additional draw engines that explicitly state "draw a card", so having 1 that doesn't state it won't really hurt. Also, I think her first ability trigger might be more of a focus for decks that will care more about life gain & life loss. Abundance def seems like it will be helpful for keeping Landfall triggers humming, and to dig for those 3 bounce lands for combo enabling.
Living Plane seems like it has a lot of fun potential, but is definitely out of my price range hahaha. I think Field of the Dead will likely be part of some future upgrades for my list as I continue to refine it. For now Curse of the Restless Dead is kinda like my budget alternative, since I can enchant myself with it lol.
8 months ago
Thank you Gleeock! I'd say that Alesha, Who Smiles at Death was my first favorite EDH deck, & commander that showed me how fun the Mardu combo could be. I've admired how much design space diversity Mardu has received for commanders in the past few years.
I'm happy that Abzan & Jeskai are seemingly getting more design attention now. I've really wanted to make an Abzan deck for a while. Although I'm interested in Thalia and The Gitrog Monster, I'm also holding out for the Abzanchantress precon thats dropping with March of the Machine.
Yes! My actual playgroup's meta is a lot of fun. We haven't had any Breena Mirror matches yet, but at least one hits the table each game night. We lean fairly aggro in our meta, but have some decent combo decks that managed to stay viable.
My playgroup doesn't get together super often anymore, since a couple folks moved away from the area. I hit up LGSs with my good friend wolfsack. He's not active on TappedOut anymore, he's mostly on Moxfield now. He's a best friend from college that got me into MtG, and on TappedOut about 10 years ago