Legendary Creature — Beast
Vigilance, deathtouch, haste
Questing Beast can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
Combat damage that would be dealt by creatures you control can't be prevented.
Whenever Questing Beast deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to target planeswalker that player controls.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Questing Beast occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Questing Beast Discussion
3 days ago
Cool deck but Questing Beast is the opposite of vanilla lol.
1 month ago
Hi everyone! So, I'm currently trying to build a Mono Green Stompy deck (for Standard) on a budget (in paper) . Basically as cheap as possible. The power level should be around FNM level.
Fortunately this deck already has a lot of budget parts, basically all of the main creatures like Swarm Shambler , Lovestruck Beast , Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig etc. are pretty cheap. I'm mainly looking for substitutions for these cards:
What I already kind of figured could work:
The Great Henge is obviously an amazing card that can't really be easily replaced, but I think that Garruk's Uprising could work in it's place. It only draws you cards and only if the creature is big, but anyways, I don't know about a better substitution. Also, running this card meant that I'm playing more 4 power creatures. So for example no Kazandu Mammoth Flip, because it's a 3/3. Instead more Lovestruck Beast , Old-Growth Troll and Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig .
As for the top of the curve, kind of instead of Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider , I thought maybe Battle Mammoth could work??? I know, it does something completely different, but it is still a big hitter with upsides...
Anyway, what do you think? Tips on cards as substitutions for those listed above and thoughts overall...
You can find the current decklist here: Decklist
Thanks for everything in forehand!
1 month ago
Cool deck! Very similar to a Questing Beast deck I run in paper. I've had a lot of fun with Rhonas the Indomitable and fight effects or cards like Nature's Way or Ram Through . Green removal spells with upsides!
1 month ago
Weird_Frisbee Makes total sense trying to keep the mana curve as low and even as possible! I’ve been using/tinkering with a deck list after trying to make this one. I don’t quite have all the cards and/or quantity you’ve listed, but I’ll try to make a post of the one I built using your deck as the base. How’s it been working out for you?
Oh, should probably mention I’ve been having to do test any and all deck ideas on Arena for now.
2 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
2 months ago
Looks interesting, I wasn't sure how to go about building a berserker tribal deck but this seems just fine.
I'm not a big fan of Arni Brokenbrow though. A 3/3 haste for 3 isn't that great, otherwise it's a 4/3 for 4, maybe a 5/3 at best. It's okay-ish but it's really nothing special (especially if you compare it with something like Questing Beast ), on top of being legendary. Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but since you have so many boast abilities, I think you should run only 2 Arni Brokenbrow and add 2 Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip instead. Either side of her would surely be more impactful to your games.
I think Raking Claws can be nice but it's not like you need to have that combat trick available all the time. I would only run 2 instead of 3 and add a Rise of the Dread Marn instead. That card produces berserkers so it would fit right it, and it would be a nice answer to a board wipe, which is probably the biggest weakness of a deck like this.
2 months ago
I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of the one-way fight cards (like Ram Through ) when running 1/1 deathtouch critters (like Tajuru Blightblade ). This would also help get your attackers through by keeping the board clean. Questing Beast is a ton of fun too! The deck looks great!
2 months ago
I think you could swap one of your sideboarded Duresses for an Agonizing Remorse, given if you run up against another infect deck you'll want to bin their Fynns (or, in a much likelier scenario, a Gruul Adventure deck and their Questing Beasts)