Creature — Elemental
When Regal Force enters the battlefield, draw a card for each green creature you control.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Regal Force occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Regal Force Discussion
2 weeks ago
It can often be bad manners to put silver bullet cards in the mainboard. Usually, you'd put such cards in the side and swap them in for games 2 and 3. I know a lot of casual playgroups don't play best 2 out of 3 though, so if this player is using that deck a lot and consistently winning off of a single card, they can't really be surprised if you include some way to answer it in the 60. That said, Duress and Languish effects are the kinds of answers that are extremely common in black anyway. I personally wouldn't bat an eye at seeing them here. Underworld Dreams and Fate Unraveler , definitely not so much.
What is the card in question, by the way? That will obviously affect what's an appropriate response. When I played modern elves, it was pretty rare to bother with drawing the deck when you could just dump it with Collected Company and Genesis Wave . But, from playing other green decks over the years, cards like Lifecrafter's Bestiary , The Great Henge , Vanquisher's Banner , Beast Whisperer , Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage , Zendikar Resurgent , Glimpse of Nature , and Regal Force are what come to mind. For the creatures, they would be easy enough to deal with given enough Murder s. For the artifacts, things are rough. Black really hates destroying artifacts, so the very weak Phyrexian Tribute was the best option I could find. However, there is always the nuclear option of running Extirpate or Surgical Extraction with discard to essentially lock a single card out of the game. These are very much sideboard cards though, so running them main has a good chance of drawing a negative reaction.
3 weeks ago
Hey, good edit so far. Nice Ezuri, Renewal, Shadow and Warmaster upgrades :)
What's your budget for upgrading? The precon has too many Swamps compared to Forests. You've cut some already, but consider cutting more? Green mana is much more important than black mana especially now that you have added more one drop green mana Elves which is another good upgrade. My advice is cut several Swamps for Golgari dual lands especially lands that can ETB untapped.
- Llanowar Wastes
- Unclaimed Territory
- Darkbore Pathway Flip
- Overgrown Tomb
- Undergrowth Stadium
- Twilight Mire
- Tainted Wood
Some of the powerful tribal Elves have exploded in price since the release of the precon. If your budget allows these cards are upgrades.
- Joraga Warcaller
- Priest of Titania
- Elvish Harbinger
- Tyvar Kell
- Elvish Champion
- Heritage Druid
- Joraga Treespeaker
- Gilt-Leaf Palace
Copperhorn Scout can be another repeatable untap all your creatures effect and it's an one drop Elf. Pair Scout with Magistrate + Lathril to make Scout and Lathril bigger each time you attack. Magistrate first puts counters on Scout that way Scout can survive combat. Scout + Lathril attack which unaps Magistrate to then tap Magistrate to put counters on Lathril.
Staff of Domination is a mana sink/win condition enabler. It's busted because it can untap itself. Use it in combination with a big mana producer such as Archdruid who can make 5 or more mana to make infinite green mana. With infinite green mana you can activate Staff to draw into a mana sink win condition such as Ezuri. Staff can also be used with infinite mana if you have 10 or more Elves with Lathril to repeatedly untap Lathril + 10 Elves making Lathril's tap ability the win condition.
Chord of Calling is powerful with Elves, an instant speed tutor that Elf tokens can help to cast with convoke. Wirewood Herald when it dies is an Elf tutor. Skullclamp is excellent repeatable draw when your Commander can create 1/1 tokens as well as with other repeatable token sources.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
mono green is the best.
Sylvan Scrying is another option to fetch up your nykthos in case you want to.
also i really like Regal Force and Impervious Greatwurm but thats just me.
i found my mono green deck was susceptible to flying commanders so i started running Spidersilk Armor .
cheers and have fun!
2 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
2 months ago
Storm is a deck archetype where the idea is to cast a ton of spells in a single turn in order to win that turn. Traditional storm decks are blue and red and use cards that provide excess mana such as Rite of Flame and cantrips like Ponder to dig through their decks to find their win condition which is usually either Grape Shot or Empty the Warrens . In the case of Selvala, Heart of the Wilds (usually called Bro Storm) the idea is to play out the entire deck with a huge Genesis Wave or by turning your creatures into cantrips with cards like Soul of the Harvest and Glimpse of Nature along side big mana generators and large draw spells like Regal Force or Return of the Wildspeaker then attacking for lethal.
It requires seven mana but that is the combo i was speaking of. There was another one but my mind is fried right now from lack of sleep.
4 months ago
4 months ago
Robobro72: Fierce Empath is probably a permanent fixture of the deck. Sorry for the late response! But yeah, Fierce has been in the deck since its creation and has enables countless wins. It's always had 3 targets, Great Oak Guardian, Regal Force, and Woodland Bellower were the original three. Upon Ashaya's printing, it removed every artifact line in favor of more creature reliance, thus not needed Genesis Hydra loops, and since Genesis Hydra was ideally cast as the hidden 4th 6 cmc creature I slotted in Kogla, the Titan Ape. The Ape comes with his own line, and removal of a lot of relevant threats. It was for a brief period that Fierce Empath actually had 4 targets (Sep 22-Nov 23).
To remain current with the list and ask me questions and get responses closer to real-time join the Discord, we have an enthusiastic community with chibi Yeva emojis!