Vivien, Monsters' Advocate
Legendary Planeswalker — Vivien
You may look at the top card of your library any time.
You may cast creature spells from the top of your library.
+1: Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token. Put your choice of a vigilance counter, a reach counter, or a trample counter on it.
-2: When you cast your next creature spell this turn, search your library for a creature card with lesser converted mana cost, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Vivien, Monsters' Advocate Discussion
2 months ago
Arcane Signet , Battle Mammoth Forest , Fumiko the Lowblood Goblin Goliath , Grand Warlord Radha , Migratory Greathorn , Rhonas's Monument , Sakura-Tribe Scout , Tectonic Giant , Vivien, Monsters' Advocate .
Command Beacon , Nature's Lore , Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Helm of the Host , Slippery Bogbonder , Dragonborn Champion , Ghalta, Primal Hunger , Etali, Primal Storm , Guardian Augmenter , Gigantomancer , Goblin Anarchomancer , Terastodon , Scourge of the Throne .
4 months ago
Finally we get some squirrel suppport. Currently I'm working on a squirrel deck too - even if i know, that it will be a more... meme-like or fun-deck than somewhat competitive. I saw, you're suggest using Earl of Squirrel , so your playgroup doesn't mind using Silver Bordereds? Then I have a few silver bordered suggestions: Acornelia, Fashionable Filcher - pump effect and cute acorn-counter Squirrel Dealer - Funny card though Squirrel Farm - funny token creator
others: Ivy Lane Denizen - pumps your army
Vanquisher's Banner - anthem and draw effect
Realmwalker - plays Top-cards and counts as a squirrel
Witch's Oven Sac-Outlet and the food-token generates a new Squirrel with Chatterfang
Swarmyard - regenerates squirrels
Return of the Wildspeaker - extraordinary strong card
Ohran Frostfang - let your opponent choose between trading or to let you draw cards.
Moldervine Reclamation - dying creatures wont hurt you anymore
Adaptive Automaton - Anthem effect for Squirrels
Beastmaster Ascension - huge anthem
Creakwood Liege - Anthem and token generator
Ezuri's Predation - REmoval which works prett well with tokens
Bramble Sovereign - Because i love this card
5 months ago
While I see why you are suggesting the use of Vineglimmer Snarl over Temple of Mystery , I actually like having the early scry option if its in the opening hand and sometimes late game it can be useful when I have Vivien, Monsters' Advocate in play to try and push the top card to a creature or more useful draw option.
As for the Evolving Wilds suggestion, I do think having those in the deck would be useful, but I do not think I want to up the land count so high in the deck. The reasons for this is that the deck can get flooded really quick with all the ramp spells it runs. If I were to try and include, then I would probably cut the Temple of Mystery for the copies out of the card options I have.
Will try it out the suggestions still and see if there is any improvement and will get back to you.
5 months ago
I like Ant Queen as a budget mana sink. Vivien, Monsters' Advocate , while maybe not too exciting, is totally fine as well. Endbringer , on the other hand, is not functional in this deck as it currently stands. To even cast it, you need to draw the single copy of Rogue's Passage because nothing else is producing the colorless mana requirement. As for the other Eldrazi, I do like Ulamog's Crusher for decks that just want as much annihilator as possible, although Pathrazer and Artisan are better when you have enough mana for them. For Breaker of Armies , I imagine it would mostly be trying to draw heat away from your other creatures so you can get Toski triggers or lethal damage. In that case, I feel like the job could just as easily be handled by the cheaper Noble Quarry or the higher value Treeshaker Chimera . Savageborn Hydra is another creature I wouldn't recommend. For the most part, it will function identically to Heroes' Bane . The major problem is that if you Surge into it, it will enter as a 0/0 and die immediately. On the subject of Primal Surge , there is always the option of running Genesis Wave instead. It's less explosive and you'd need to keep in mind the average CMC of the cards in the deck, but it will never hit 0 things after paying 10 like Surge hypothetically can. If the price tag is prohibitive, there is a world where you lean even harder into the legendary matters gameplan and run Kamahl's Druidic Vow instead. Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig is one legendary I probably wouldn't bother with. I'd rather have something on 3 helping me ramp into even nastier options. For Polis Crusher , unless you are dealing with a ton of enchantment creatures, I think Kogla, the Titan Ape makes more sense here.
Card discussion aside, I would highly recommend EDH as a format that supports casual multiplayer games. If you want tips for a build, I'm happy to help. For pauper, my experience is much more limited, but I'll still try my best.
5 months ago
Okay, quick update. I decided not to get Seedborn Muse because I would rather get some other cheaper cards instead. Maybe I will get it in a few months because it can work in almost any green deck I feel like. Still waiting to get Ghalta, Primal Hunger Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and 4 Utopia Sprawl . Ive just been adding in a bunch of high mana stuff in the meantime because it fun with all of the mana generated. Also, I changed the sideboard to all of the cards I actually have that I think could work well and the maybeboard for wishful cards. Even when I do get those other cards, there are still 3 open spots because I feel like the Prowling Serpopard aren't always necessary. Currently, I put Artisan of Kozilek Elvish Piper and Vivien, Monsters' Advocate just to promote putting out creatures and getting one back if needed. Im not sure about keeping these 3 though so I was wondering if anyone thinks there are better options among my sideboard. I like the idea of using non tap activated abilities because of the excess mana so because those 6 cards arent here yet, I have been playing Ant Queen and Scavenging Ooze , also I just found a Savageborn Hydra that follows the same concept of using massive mana. Also could swap Silklash Spider with one of those so I can ease the flying in some cases. Polis Crusher Ruric Thar, the Unbowed are kind of more defensive cards for preventing the scary instants/enchantments/sorceries my friends have. The only thing holding me up about this is that annihilator will get rid of this stuff anyways eventually but polis targets it faster and ruric makes them doubt using it at all. Ulamog's Crusher Breaker of Armies are just other huge things but not sure they beat out the other 8+ mana creatures in the deck already. Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig is another one I am on the fence about because it could be huge if I get it early but its unlikely that will happen and I would almost always rather get a different legendary with Time of Need . Endbringer is kind of a nice one because of the constant damage and/or draw ability. Toski, Bearer of Secrets can also be used for drawing cards but I think I may have that covered at this point. ALSO, thinking of either trying to throw together a pauper or edh deck. Never tried edh but it seems really fun with the extra life and just having more variety because of the diversity of cards. Pauper also just seems like a fun and cheap way to balance the playing field so you never know what's going to happen. Also, I feel like it would eliminate really overpowered stuff so that would extend games too. Im sure Ill need help again so look out for that! Thank you guys again for the feedback :)
6 months ago
Font of Fertility , Wayfarer's Bauble , Beanstalk Giant , Sakura-Tribe Elder Khalni Heart Expedition you can store the charges on it until you want to trigger landfall
Seer's Sundial , Colossal Majesty , Aid from the Cowl (fetchlands make this happen), Beast Whisperer , Guardian Project ,
land: Kessig Wolf Run , Castle Garenbrig , Mosswort Bridge , Gruul Turf , Guildless Commons . The 2 bounce lands can target themselves, so you can reuse next turn if you don,t have lands in hand lategame. With Azusa, you can bounce it 3x for 3 landfall triggers.
extra: Hammer of Purphoros Fires of Yavimaya Radha, Heart of Keld , Kenrith's Transformation , Song of the Dryads , Vivien, Champion of the Wilds , Lignify , Vivien, Monsters' Advocate , Cindervines , Bonecrusher Giant
7 months ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)