As an additional cost to cast Momentous Fall, sacrifice a creature.
You draw cards equal to the sacrificed creature's power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Momentous Fall Discussion
6 days ago
Xenny! I believe this is updated now and ready for some looksies. This deck has such raw power behind it! I have seen it durdle quite a bit though, and I think I see why now. The CMC avg is 4.7 (rounded) and not enough fast ramp. This deck needs to be dangerous by turn 4-5 to stay a threat. Once a value engine begins to overtake it, you'll be playing catch-up the whole game. These are a few ideas to consider: Migration Path < Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim < Three Visits, Insult / Injury < Talisman of Impulse, Samut, the Tested < Temur Battle Rage, Mage Slayer < Fling, World at War < Relentless Assault, Glaring Spotlight < Momentous Fall, Fiery Emancipation < Gruul Charm, Dragon Tyrant < Thran Dynamo, Hexdrinker < Farseek.
3 weeks ago
Took about 2 hours, but finally finished any analysis of my deck and maybe board. What I've done is compared every card in my board against my deck and calculated the amount of interactions that card has to "Go off" or to "do something". Just because a card has a low interaction does not mean it's bad, but it helps us pick out what "feels off".
The lists read like the following, What the cards does, how many interactions it has, what it's function in the deck is.
Resource: A card that it's goal is to let me play heavier things more often and thins to make drawing more powerful
Draw: Draws cards, this is very valuable in Azusa. Azusa likes draw more than anything else. Drawing gets you closer to winning the game much faster than thinning with resources
Kill: These cards have some way to win me the game. I will have to eventually go into detail into all of them. They have a known synergy that lets me setup lethal or are lethal.
Prevent: Prevents me from losing the game. Be it killing something, preventing something, etc
???: Does not fit any category, if this is met then the card should be reassessed.
Card Synergy Type
- Wordly Tutor 24 Tutor
- Finale of Devastation 24 Tutor
- Tooth and Nail 24 Tutor
- Green Sun’s Zenith 23 Tutor
- Natural Order 22 Tutor
- Avenger of Zendikar 17 Kill
- Rishkar’s Expertise 17 Draw
- Augur of Autumn 17 Resource
- Courser of Kruphix 17 Resource
- Oracle of Mul Daya 17 Resource
- Ramumap Excavator 16 Resource/Kill
- Ancient Greenwarden 16 Resource/Kill
- Return of the Wildspeaker 16 Draw
- Scute Swarm 16 Kill
- Tireless Tracker 16 Draw
- Tireless Provision 16 Resource
- Lotus Cobra 16 Resource
- Titania, Protector of Argoth 15 Kill
- Fierce Empath 15 Tutor
- Garruk, Primal Hunter 15 Draw
- Azusa, Lost But seeking 14 Resource
- Woodland Bellower 12 Tutor
- Crucible of Worlds 11 Resource/Kill
- Exploration 11 Resource
- Life From the Loam 10 Resource
- Sylvan Library 10 Draw
- Sensei’s Divining Top 10 Draw
- Rude Awkening 9 Resource/Kill
- Scapeshift 8 Kill
- Ulvenwald Hydra 7 Kill
- Craterhoof Behemoth 7 Kill
- Akroma’s Memorial 7 Kill
- Regal Force 7 Draw
- World Breaker 6 Prevent
- Shamanic Revelation 6 Draw
- Sol Ring 6 Resource
- Nylea’s Intervention 6 Tutor/Kill
- Sylvan Scrying 6 Tutor/Kill
- Horn of Greed 6 Draw
- Greenwarden of murasa 5 Prevent
- Eternal Witness 5 Prevent
- Constant Mists 5 Prevent/Kill
- Vorinclex, Voice of hunger 5 Resource
- Kozilek, the Great Distortion 5 Draw/Prevent
- Genesis Wave 5 Kill
- Bane of Progress 5 Prevent
- Kozilek, Butcher of Truth 4 Kill/Draw
- Blightseel Colossus 4 Kill
- Multani, Yavimaya’s Avatar 4 ???
- Boundless Realms 4 Resource
- Beacon of Creation 3 Kill
- Harmonize 1 Draw
- Jeweled Lotus 1 Resource
- Force of Vigor 0 Prevent
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar with the over changes to the deck feels like it's falling off. It has a good interaction with Greater Good, but getting both of those cards off is unlikely. I also feel that every time I want to grab for an X creature it's hydra. This card is potentially on the chopping block.
Jeweled Lotus Feels dead sometimes in this deck. If you draw into it the card is great, but otherwise it's been falling off. Turn 0 Azusa is great in all, but the extra land or creature might be better.
Having trouble finding one more potential cut with this information. Will think about it more.
Card Synergy Type
- Momentous Fall 14 Draw
- Earthcraft 14 Resource
- Greater Good 14 Draw/Prevent
- Chord of Calling 12 Tutor
- Wrenn and Seven 8 Resource
- Mana Crypt 6 Resource
- Defense of the Heart 5 Tutor
- Kamahl’s Will 5 Kill/Prevent
- Realms Uncharted 3 Resource
- Allosaurus Shepherd 3 Prevent
- Nissa, Vital Force 3 Resource/Prevent/Draw
- Void Winnower 2 Kill
- Beast Within 1 Prevent
- Song of the Dryads 1 Prevent
- Concordant Crossroads 1 ???
- Kenrith's Transformation 0 Prevent
- Lignify 0 Prevent
Kamahl’s Will is a wincon, a defensive option, amplifier for draw, and has potentially other combo's. Given how many lands I get, this is highly likely.
Momentous Fall I feel like i take it out and put it in a lot, I like the card but the sacing hurts. With the drop of Multi this might feel weaker now. Testing needed.
Greater Good might be a hard add, prevents exile even at the cost of cards. It's an engine otherwise. Testing.
+1 Beast Within
+1 Greater Good
Testing needed, these are no official changes at this time.
1 month ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.
1 month ago
Did a bit of Brainstorming last night
Potentially Temur Sabertooth might be good in my playgroup due to the amount of removal and ability to setup.
Rude Awakening + Temur Sabertooth + Eternal Witness + 11 mana == infinite mana and bounce/infinite ETB. Temur Sabertooth, plus any of my ETB or cast cards gives a lot of utility including extra draw, recurrence, removal, spot protection from removal.
I think this card is worth a shot with the amount of mana I have available most times. For the sake of theorycrafting we have to try it!! Who knows maybe if I wanted to go the jank route this would make Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Helix Pinnacle or Aetherflux Reservoir viable as a non-attack wincon. Testing needed,, wanted to vorinclex in my collection anyways.
For classic wincons,
For creatures, I feel like I could hold a sideboard of 15 fatties on me and swap them in and they would all feel equally viable. That said Kozilek, Butcher of Truth felt irreplaceable and thus is getting a perm mainboard. Prevents milling, draws cards, threat/wincon, resets my deck, nice with Life from the Loam.
Vorinclex like I've mentioned before accelerates the deck and give me more time. It's more of enabler than a combo piece itself. Potentially Defense of the Heart might work here too if I hadd him. It would also open up potentially a new archtype if I went with Aetherflux Reservoir + Temur Sabertooth.
As for the draw situation, we could build around it or just go with the classics.
Adding Guardian Project to the maybe board along with Beast Whisperer. They're not as "fast" as the other options, but guardian often times is a Harmonize or better and beast whisperer is tutorable draw!
Some classics are: Garruk, Primal Hunter which is a "5 mana draw spell", Shamanic Revelation is another Regal Force that works with tokens! Rishkar's Expertise is another garruk that has a ~70% chance to hit another spell. That percentile is potentially amazing due to the composition of the current deck.
On the fringe for: Zendikar Resurgent, vorinclex slowing down opponent's in that slot feels better as a mana doubler, and I could just play Guardian Project earlier if I was after the draw. This card feels like it's in a weird place. Might turn out to be just an expensive harmonize. Momentous Fall, I don't know how I feel about this yet. Generally it says, 4 mana sac a creature draw 2-6 cards. Feels like a card I would play when I'm ahead, not to get ahead. That said I could say the same for anything else that is not an etb draw, regal, or harmonize.
Next step I guess is to make a couple "Packages" and see how they fit the deck.
1 month ago
I love it and hate it.
I think you should cut like half the board wipes. And add cards like Village Rites, Burnt Offering, Deadly Dispute, Altar's Reap, Costly Plunder, Diabolic Intent, Tormented Thoughts, Morbid Curiosity, Mind Extraction, Momentous Fall, Natural Order, Life's Legacy, Eldritch Evolution, Metamorphosis, and last consider Bonds of Mortality. All of these cards pair well with your cmdr. Meaning you'll need less board wipes as you will always have it in the command zone.
2 months ago
I would add Momentous Fall, Life's Legacy,Return of the Wildspeaker, and Greater Good these are pretty good card draw spells which should work pretty good in a hydra deck being they can get bigger. I've even cast rishkar expertise into wild speaker.
For interaction you could add Walking Ballista and Rite of Passage along with hardened scales makes infinite damage +1/+1 counters on your hydras. Can also be done with Vigor... Also Devoted Druid would make infinite mana with the counters.
These are "infinite" but not in the broken category.
2 months ago
I totally forgot about shroud, lol.
I know what you mean about the mass card draw. I run an Ashaya, Soul of the Wild deck and a super high-risk, High-reward backup card draw engine I’ve put it includes cards like Momentous Fall or Greater Good . If I have the board state for it and have a Nykthos or Gaea’s, recasting isn’t that difficult.
Also, Ashaya + Horn of Greed is a fun combo for getting more value out of your creatures.
5 months ago
Mossfire Valley is a decent budget land and Highland Forest is tutorable. I also like Blighted Woodland , Warped Landscape and Guildless Commons this deck. Don't think you need Reliquary Tower here though.
The proliferate cards like Retreat to Kazandu, Bloom Hulk, Vorinclex, Stumpsquall Hydra, Pridemalkin and Managorger Hydra don't fit so well to Phylath in my opinion. Going wide instead of big will get you better results. All you want in this deck is card draw, interaction, a lot of land ramp and some mass-pump spells. When cutting these cards, I'd also take out Inspiring Call, Soul's Fire, Thud and Fling. Plummet doesn't strike me as good enough. Kazuul's Fury can maybe work because it doubles down as a land. Gruul Locket, Wayfarer's Bauble, Commander's Sphere and maybe even Gruul Signet and Thought Vessel can be cut for more land ramp. I would even disregard single target protection like Swiftfoot Boots. Your commander dying is sometimes even advantageous, because then you can cast it again to get another bunch of tokens, similar to how Prossh, Skyraider of Kher can play.
Here some nonland cards that I'd definitely add either way:
Beanstalk Giant , Predatory Rampage , Nature's Claim , Impact Tremors , Momentous Fall , Overrun , End-Raze Forerunners , Rampaging Baloths , Abrade , Valakut Exploration , Heraldic Banner , Farhaven Elf
I personally like Creeperhulk and Gigantomancer , because they increase creatures' base stats, so Pylath's +1/+1 counters up the target's power even more. Very easy to get a handful of 10/10 plants this way. Vitalizing Wind can also win you the game, but costs a lot of mana upfront. Wort, the Raidmother can come in handy too. If you can afford it, Greater Good does very well in this deck as card advantage engine.