Archfiend of Despair
Creature — Demon
Your opponents can't gain life.
At the beginning of each end step, each opponent loses life equal to the life that player lost this turn. (Damage causes loss of life.)
|Have (3)||Forkbeard , , Candyman949|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Archfiend of Despair occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Archfiend of Despair Discussion
1 month ago
Gorgeous, beautifil. Very cool deck. I might play Belbe one day. I adored your Neheb, but the minotaur is just so expensive. Maybe this would work.
Two cards you could consider:
Archfiend of Despair: You're basically pinging each opponent. This would double the efficiency of your pinging while also preventing opponents from healing.
Vilis, Broker of Blood: There will be players who try to damage you to benefit from Belbe as well. Vilis will make you benefits from these players by turning their damage into more haymakers.
1 month ago
sam171z: I did test him, actually! You get the maximum total damage from "linking" each pair of opponents, and basically each opponent loses 18 life (6 from combat, 12 from damage dealt to your other opponents). The issue was that he doesn't really synergize with anything except for Araumi, and Archfiend of Despair is generally better (and he got cut for being unnecessary).
1 month ago
Cool deck, +1 =)
1 month ago
Things I like
- Archfiend of Despair - I like. high cost
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose - good include
- Mangara, the Diplomat - I saw, I liked, I forgot
- Evra, Halcyon Witness - will consider
- Exquisite Blood - good wincon but could also lock game since not "may"
- Witch of the Moors - like, a little high for a non-closer. I like the control aspect.
- Forsaken Wastes - I like, similar to Sanctum of Stone Fangs
- Axis of Mortality - will consider long-term
- Near-Death Experience - interesting "combo" with axis and evra
- Phyrexian Altar - not planning to run unless a few more things to abuse
- Sorin Markov - considered but don't have at the moment
- Bolas's Citadel - always fun
- Dark Ritual - good ramp, can't abuse atm
- Doom Whisperer - with Witch of the Moors it helps but otherwise, the return from bin in the deck is a bit weak
- Necropotence - I don't like to always include
- Gravecrawler && Mutavault are no's
- Pox && Death Cloud - possible as finisher but does impact each player. iirc, active player goes first, not last. So if I need to sac the pieces that trigger on loss of opponent life, it'll whiff
I've played a small set of games with the deck now. It had impact on the game. Majority of creatures cast in the deck didn't feel of consequence when standing alone. I'm investigating more ways to gain life but also add "target player gains life" to abuse Tainted Remedy against non-life gain decks that just ignore it when it hits the field. Spells like Swords to Plowshares.
1 month ago
This is awesome, and I will totally be stealing ideas from here! My only question is on that Archfiend of Despair combo. Where is that 42 damage coming from? You encore with Araumi to make a copy for each opponent and swing for 6, and then they each lose another 6 at the end step (unless you dealt more damage with something else, obvi. Where does all that doubling come from?
1 month ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Vilis, Broker of Blood, etc... also from the new set: Profane Transfusion (I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
1) Loxodon Warhammer - is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with Shadowspear, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply Bontu's Monument as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary/Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
1) Tortured Existence - even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with Phyrexian Altar and Desecrated Tomb to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate/Animate Dead/Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp.
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation.
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)
1 month ago
Hello again man. First talking about the Vilis, Broker of Blood,I think he is a bit expensive for what we try to do, with all the other draw it´s a bit redundant, and he can´t be cheated from hand or GV.
Second, I know Divinity of Pride is awesome and thicc, but I could easily replace him for something like Archangel of Thune, same cost and can make herself and Liesa really big. Even Vona, Butcher of Magan has more utility and impact but I haven´t tested it enough.
Lastly the easiest one, Tainted Remedy is super narrow, powerful in some tables but in general meh.Erebos, God of the Dead seems way better as it is indestructible and preventing them for gaining life is the most important part of the card. The card draw it´s just the extra and it´s wonderful,because it balances the card draw if you cut Vilis.
If I may say another recommendation, I run Heliod´s intervention on nearly every white deck I own, just amazing value, and the second part of the card is sweet in this deck.
1 month ago
You might consider these too: Vizkopa Guildmage, Helm of the Host, Howling Mine, Helm of Awakening, Blinkmoth Urn, Temple Bell, Font of Mythos, Lightmine Field, Horn of Greed, Coveted Jewel, Archfiend of Despair, Aetherflux Reservoir, Well of Lost Dreams