Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Monstrous Onslaught deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control as you cast this spell.
3 months ago
It's been a couple of years, and the Hydra horde have matured!
Thanks for all your great suggestions while I've been away. I can see that the deck could need an overhaul with all the wonderful new cards
The following are now under consideration
- Vivien Reid: all her abilities seems useful
- Unbound Flourishing: Wait what? More doubling! Sign me up, double time.
- Traverse the Outlands: Prune deck for all lands AND put them into play? Awesomesauce!
- The Great Henge: Seems alrigt. Not sure it's worth a slot, but ramp and card draw.
- Shadowspear: Trample and some other nice stuff
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds: Very good alternate commander. Will clearly be better than Polukranos, World Eater, but I'm not sure I can have an Elf Scout piloting a Hydra deck? Or can I? If so, I for sure need
- Umbral Mantle to go full retard on the board
- Rishkar's Expertise may be quite a good draw spell, but I hate to discard
- Nissa, Who Shakes the World: Lots of more mana. Would never +1 her, but if she comes out under Doubling Season, the -8 emblem sounds pretty sexy.
- Monstrous Onslaught: There is a hydra on the card. Nuff said
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary: Could be alright to draw some cards. But makes X one less. not sure
- Karametra's Acolyte: bonkers ramp
- Invigorating Surge: double +2 counters on a hydra. Could be fine?
- Infiltration Lens: Fixes draw for cheap! In this deck it surely beats Skullclamp
- Garruk's Uprising: Pretty good draw engine for the hydrating hydras
- Emerald Medallion: Okay is. Not sure it's good enough compared to the more expensive options
- Branching Evolution: Wait what? Yet another doubler? How are you doing?
New Hydras to make room for:
3 months ago
Have you thought about Neyith of the Dire Hunt and Rionya, Fire Dancer for this? Since you often have big creatures there is Chandra's Ignition, and Windswift Slice manages to be the world's biggest flavor fail and win at the same time, at least nobody will miss those elves when you sacrifice them! Two-Handed Axe might fit (and it's a big ax!), Inquisitor's Flail is unfortunately not an ax but is also very good if Gimli has high toughness.
I'm not sure how big your tallest creatures end up, but Monstrous Onslaught is very good with an excessively big creature.
5 months ago
A couple more I thought of, Monstrous Onslaught sounds pretty good if Kresh has over 20 power, good odds of being able to 1-shot someone that turn. I'm not sure if it's 'too fast', but Chandra's Ignition would be pretty easy to win off of, you just need a big Kresh and to resolve your spell.
5 months ago
Creature removal: Beast Within, Decimate, Kenrith's Command, Mawloc, Domri's Ambush, Ground Assault, Clan Defiance, Pit Fight, Ram Through, Inscription of Abundance, Ulvenwald Tracker, Lignify, Prizefight, Cosmic Hunger, Tail Swipe, Bite Down, Rabid Bite, Master's Rebuke, Devouring Tendrils, Warbriar Blessing, Epic Confrontation, Tandem Takedown, Chaos Warp, Vow of Lightning, Meteor Swarm, Volcanic Salvo, Arni Slays the Troll
Artifact/Enchantment removal: Migloz, Maze Crusher, Hull Breach, Kogla and Yidaro, Klauth's Will, Artifact Mutation, Cindervines, Vithian Renegades, Reclamation Sage, Tranquil Frillback, Kogla, the Titan Ape, Manglehorn, Masked Vandal, Titan of Industry, Woodfall Primus, Wickerbough Elder, Vandalblast, Abrade, Fall of the Hammer
Ramp: Goblin Anarchomancer, Incubation Druid, Springbloom Druid, Sanctum Weaver, Gyre Sage, Fertilid, Kami of Whispered Hopes, Biophagus, Wolfwillow Haven, Klothys, God of Destiny, Gift of Paradise, Font of Fertility, Dawntreader Elk, Omen of the Hunt, New Horizons, Blighted Burgeoning
We'll check these out next time.
11 months ago
11 months ago
Life's Legacy is another way to draw stupid amounts of cards. Even though it's only a sorcery, I prefer this card to Momentous Fall because it's a lot cheaper to cast. You do lose out on the lifegain portion, though...
Monstrous Onslaught is basically a green board wipe for this kind of deck.
Finally, all of these recommendations come from a deck that I have for this last recommendation... Multani, Maro-Sorcerer. While it's on the Reserved List, it's not terribly expensive at the moment ($3-6) and is an incredible card with enough card draw support, which you clearly have! It can be a bit of a pain to keep track of his power/toughness but there was an episode of I Hate Your Deck on Youtube where Multani was played and they were basically like "We'll keep track of it when it matters" which can make things a lot easier.
If you're interested, the deck is here : Multani, Maro-Sorcerer - Growth Spiral (v1.6)
2 years ago
If you're looking for some mean flavor, then my second favorite card of all time Blood Moon is fantastic!
Also, I always recommend at least 1-2 boardwipes in ANY deck, some of my favorites in R/G:
Blasphemous Act 10/10
Chain Reaction 10/10
Chandra's Ignition 8/10
Monstrous Onslaught 7/10