Avenger of Zendikar
Creature — Elemental
When Avenger of Zendikar enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token for each land you control.
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on each Plant creature you control.
|Have (2)||Forkbeard , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (4)||kickinitwithschlomo , Deviconus , sensrawsm , _signal_|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Avenger of Zendikar occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Avenger of Zendikar Discussion
3 days ago
oof! Mystic Reflection cast in response to a landfall trigger for Scute Swarm with Avenger of Zendikar and Purphoros, God of the Forge out?! You can easily get like 12 1/1 tokens for Scute Swarm's triggered ability. Having like 12 Avengers enter sounds awesome!
4 days ago
I was referring exactly to Cosima, God of the Voyage Flip. Really great card. I'm not sure on cutting Kodama of the East Tree off, it is something to evaluate for not going into infinite combos. Another one I'm considering to add is Mystic Reflection, quite narrow in this deck but with Avenger of Zendikar is incredible, and with Purphoros, God of the Forge out you can potentially finish all your opponents in a turn. What do you think about it?
4 days ago
1 week ago
Commander Legends review for Lord Windgrace and Thoughts
Missed out on looking at these cards the first time so another look at cards that can synergise with this deck or with more general Lord Windgrace decks after actually testing them out.
This card looks like it may just slot right in but I would caution against just jamming this in. It is very powerful to be able to just pick out ten lands from the library and slam them on the battlefield, no sacrificing or any real downside but there are a couple of issues to consider:
- The card is 9 mana, and requires triple green. This is not difficult to do with mana fixing but because the lands enter tapped from Reshape the Earth and the spell is sorcery speed, this is pretty much your entire turn. This means that you better be planning to win the game with this spell on the turn you play it because your green mana will be heavily depleted when you do. There are pretty much two options: Field of the Dead or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle for ETB triggers, but this can also be a trap. If you fetch Vesuva with this ability, you have to have one of the above lands already on the battlefield. This is because when Vesuva enters the battlefield at the same time as another land, due to timing it only checks land already on the battlefield. There is a similar issue with Thespian Stage as when the land enters...it has already had its ETB. This means that you can't just fetch Field of the Dead or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle along with the two copy lands from the library and try to stack the triggers, it just doesn't work. This card just can't immediately win you the game in most circumstances. You could look at Dread Presence dealing a good 20 damage or getting a sweet Valakut Exploration turn, but you can't just straight up 40 someone unless you already have a very specific boardstate. I just don't think this card is worth including in this archetype.
I was surprisingly up on this card when it was first spoiled because of the Glacial Chasm synergy (never take combat damage, never lose the Monarchy). Now on top of being the eternal Monarch, you get the benefit of all your permanents being hexproof, which includes your land. Now you have protection against opponents removing your key lands! The issue is that it is still a creature body, doesn't really have any land-synergistic abilities and is 7 mana. I dropped Avenger of Zendikar for being expensive to play, and this just draws you a card at end step, not terrible, but not the most exciting thing to ever happen. Maybe this card is just too 'win more' to be an inclusion, but it has a sweet interaction with this deck.
Honestly not terrible but not exciting either. The key thing is that it doesn't untap your lands, and there's no real benefit for them being creatures, if you have a Glacial Chasm out they can't even attack...and they're 1/1s so you need something to buff them up before they attack. That's several steps more complicated than dumping a Torment of Hailfire or Exsanguinate on the board.
Now I'm usually very up on enchantments in commander. They're usually (in my experience) more difficult to interact with compared to artifacts. This is a way to just ramp or cheat out creatures. If you're planning of dumping big creatures on the board: this is a great card if you're running Glacial Chasm because you will never stop being the monarch, but it's an upkeep trigger. In this particular deck I don't think it has enough value to justify cutting another card to fit it in, it's just too slow.
Interesting value engine: play a land, you get to cheat in another land. Would/should you pay 6 mana for this? Well only if you have a bunch of lands in hand, which is generally not where this deck wants to be (usually they should be being discarded so you pull them back onto the battlefield). Any ramp potential is stymied by the mana cost. Powerful effect, just doesn't seem to quite work in this deck.
Not bad: find forest, put on battlefield, solid cheap ramp, consider adding it in if you have the space. There aren't that many great forests, so this isn't as much of a utility spell tutor, just plain ramp.
1 week ago
Are you the kind of Timmy that’s satisfied with going wide, instead of playing big creatures? If so, go wort. As explained above, wort has a more straightforward game plan.
However, if you like playing really big/flashy creatures (Avenger of Zendikar), then riku is an absolute blast to play. Not nearly as competitive, but I’ve never met someone who played riku and hated it.
2 weeks ago
My deck is very different but maybe you'll find other inspirations, like Avenger of Zendikar.
2 weeks ago
I feel like Thassa, Deep-Dwelling would be the best card
not as the target of the copy but to trigger Riku of Two Reflections ability to copy at every end step
this would be good with almost anything that has an ETB trigger
getting two etb triggers every end step on cards like
Dockside Extortionist, Spellseeker, Palinchron, Agent of Treachery, Spark Double,Avenger of Zendikar,Imperial Recruiter,Reclamation Sage,Eternal Witness,Demanding Dragon
omg i could go on forever with this
3 weeks ago
Hey, good casual budget version of Omnath. Nice Scroll Rack :)
You could expand on landfall with several other good landfall cards:
- Tireless Tracker: repeatable draw with clues.
- Felidar Retreat: create Cat tokens or make your army huge including Omnath.
- Tatyova, Benthic Druid: repeatable draw.
- Admonition Angel: exile your opponents nonland permanents.
- Emeria Angel: create flying Bird tokens.
Omnath does everything except repeatable draw and that's an area to consider improving on. Tutors can sometimes be better than repeatable draw because with a tutor you get the card right away.
- Fierce Empath: tutor for any 6 CMC or higher creature, he can get any one of your win condition creatures.
- Wargate: tutor for any permanent and put it onto the battlefield, can get an enchantment which is helpful.
- Crop Rotation: sac a Forest to tutor for Command Tower or a Triome to help with color fixing.
Having recursion is helpful in multiplayer Commander because your creatures are going to die and your other cards are going be destroyed.
- Eternal Witness: recur any card in your graveyard.
- Seasons Past: can recur a land as the zero CMC card, good with Valakut Exploration as a way to recur cards put into your graveyard.
- Bala Ged Recovery Flip: recur any card in your graveyard.
Cards that only give a pump to one creature from landfall are subpar because the pump goes away at the end of the turn and you want to give more value out of landfall. Inspired's mana cost is too difficult to make with this manabase especially . The draw 5 is nice, but not for seven mana. Phylath is a budget Avenger of Zendikar, but you have Avenger therefore you don't need to also play Phylath.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Kazandu Mammoth
- Brushfire Elemental
- Skyclave Geopede
- Skyclave Pick-Axe
- Fire Prophecy
- Inspired Ultimatum
- Canyon Jerboa
- Struggle / Survive
- Reshape the Earth
- Phylath, World Sculptor
- Nissa, Genesis Mage
If interested I offer more advice in another comment. Good luck with your deck.