|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Temur Battle Rage
Target creature gains double strike until end of turn. (It deals both first-strike and regular combat damage.)
Ferocious — That creature also gains trample until end of turn if you control a creature with power 4 or greater.
Temur Battle Rage Discussion
8 hours ago
To be upfront, I don't claim to be a Boros expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Boros Charm should go into your sideboard at the very least. Its the ability to protect your board from board wipes such as Damnation that will come in handy against removal decks or those decks that make use of wipes such as white.
Aurelia, the Warleader is a fun card, but you shouldn't run 2 copies in my opinion. Running one copy allows you to draw this sometimes, but you also don't run the risk of getting two in your hand or drawing into it, which with that mana cost is going to be a dead draw more often than not. Though I have seen a lot of decks run 2 of these. I haven't seen them run as many legendaries as you have, which leads to my next comment.
You're running too many legendaries but more importantly, duplicates of legendaries. Just like the aforementioned, you may run into two and it becomes a dead card in your hand or a dead draw due to the legendary rule.
Some fun cards in Boros colors that I like:
- Temur Battle Rage : An amazing card for the CMC and monetary value.
- Awaken the Ancient : A one-off card if you ever use it, mostly for the fun factor and novelty, not exactly a competitive choice.
- Legion's Initiative : Good for dodging wipes and giving a passive buff to all your Boros creatures.
- Harsh Mentor : Effective at tables where fetch lands are common.
- Iroas, God of Victory : Speaks for itself.
- Swiftblade Vindicator : A solid for a 1/1 that's loaded with offensive capabilities.
1 week ago
Sorry for double post. You want to swing with all your tokens, whatever is not blocked you want to pump with spells and Scroll of the Masters and hit with Temur Battle Rage . Cast your draw spells on every turn, including your opponents and use Grapeshot on your turn as that final damage to kill someone off.
2 weeks ago
First of all, thanks for making a primer on this commander! There are a lot of people starting to play this one since release, but not a lot of in depth content out yet. I have some suggestions based around my play experience with this deck:
Mirrorwing Dragon and Zada, Hedron Grinder : I feel Feather works best when you can go off and kill someone in one turn, usually with commander damage. These two creatures enable you to go wide while still benefiting from the instants and sorceries you are already playing in feather. Cards like Bandage go from draw one every turn to draw 1 card every turn for each creature you control, all for just 1 mana. If you are ever worried about decking yourself, just don't cast the draw card targeting these creatures. Pump spells can easily turn into 1 mana Overrun s. Usually the turn I drop this, as long as I have leftover mana to play other pump spells, I can win the game.
Dreadhorde Arcanist : This guy is a house. You are naturally running pump spells in your deck, so you won't have a problem casting spells out of your gy. Some cards you run in the deck, such as Path to Exile , Council's Judgment or Chaos Warp , won't recur with feather, so being able to cast them another time for free is huge.
Twinflame , Ajani's Presence and Launch the Fleet : works best with either of the two aforementioned creatures, but can also work with strive. Can win games pretty fast when you swing with even just a couple creatures. Ajani's presence has saved my board countless times from board wipes as well.
Samut's Sprint , Brute Strength , etc: Most of my games with feather end in drawing into Temur Battle Rage and casting on feather when she is power 11 or greater. This requires many small cmc, efficient pump spells to fill your draws in the early game.
Cards I would replace:
Veilstone Amulet and Scroll of the Masters : Veilstone amulet can be accomplished with other cards we play for less mana ( eg. Apostle's Blessing, shelter, etc. ). Spending 3 mana to drop a do-nothing artifact isn't where the deck wants to be. Scroll of Masters is cute but I think we can get better effects in just the instants and sorceries we run.
Sentinel Tower and Guttersnipe : I considered both of these cards when making the deck, but I found they played out too slow. I couldn't find a time when I would like to cast Sentinel Tower rather than spend mana casting a draw spell on feather. Guttersnipe felt the same way. He also tends to attract a lot of hate when I'm not ready to finish my opponents. The nice thing about feather is you can amass enough card advantage by the mid game where you can explode and possibly one-shot your opponent.
Akroan Conscriptor is a bit slow and can provide no value depending on the board state.
I don't know how I feel about Grapeshot . I guess you will be playing 3-5 spells each turn, but a reusable card to deal 5 damage to a target every turn seems pretty slow to me. You should be able to not care about an opponents creatures most of the time ( she has flying, can give protection with various spells in deck, etc ) so killing creatures isn't as valuable and doing 5 damage to an opponents face is pretty lackluster.
Silverclad Ferocidons : A card that is > 5 mana should win the game for you when you play it. This card doesn't do that. I would much rather play 5-6 of my cheap instants/sorceries then play this card in a turn.
There are probably other cards I could think of and recommend, but I'm still working on my own list and tweaking it as I play the deck. Thanks again for writing a primer on this commander! Enjoy!
3 weeks ago
hemddernacht Thanks for the suggestions! Search for Azcanta Flip seems sweet but I think I'm gonna wait for rotation, for the price to go down. Stealth Mission reminded me of Temur Battle Rage which I regret taking out in the first place and is now back in. I like Impulse but I'm not sure what to take out for it.
4 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 month ago
Okay, I've run a few sample games with your list and I'm unfortunately finding that it fizzles a ton. I think the main reason, awkwardly enough, is Serum Powder . While I know it's really good with the London Mulligan rule right now, it also really, really sucks to draw when you're trying to go off turn two. I think it literally lost me four or five of the seven games I played with it, because it interrupts the combo super hard. I also don't know how I feel about Temur Battle Rage . I feel like Grapeshot might just be better. Another solid card draw spell that I've found in my own testing is Ideas Unbound -it basically just reads "draw three cards", because it often wins you the game that turn. It's not too hard to cast, either, because Cerulean Wisps nets you mana each time.
mal099 on Heroic Red
1 month ago
I just remembered that Double Strike is a thing. Depending on your preference, Temur Battle Rage , Assault Strobe and Uncaged Fury would all probably be better than some of the instants you already have. Probably Temur for instant speed and being cheaper than Fury? Dynacharge doesn't trigger Heroic if you use Overload, so I don't like that one very much, but I'd need to playtest to see if it's worth it.
1 month ago
I didn't think of this earlier, but since you're in you don't have the combo type finish that Grixis Shadow has between Dismember and Temur Battle Rage ... I see that you have Liliana of the Veil in the maybe board, but it might be a decent idea to run the list a little more control style with Liliana of the Veil , Liliana, the Last Hope and Jace, the Mind Sculptor . Just an idea, don't know if it's necessary, that might help with some threat density issues and give another plan of attack.
Catpocolypse while it looks and seems like Snapcaster Mage hurts delve (because to some degree it does) but it is extremely important to decks like this. Thoughtscour, Street Wraith , Serum Visions and the hand hate put cards in the graveyard nearly for free at an extremely high rate, so the counteractive feeling gets balanced out. Also, while it doesn't always seem so, Snappy can be an extremely effective threat when holding deprives, countersqualls and even hand hate to protect.
Temur Battle Rage occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.13%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%